OctaneRender™ 2019 for Daz Studio - New Free Tier!

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2019 for Daz Studio - New Free Tier!
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019 for Daz Studio - New Free Tier!

Postby SparkieShock » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:16 am

SparkieShock Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:16 am
Well .. I gotta say I'm pretty happy about this. I'm really happy to have a second Octane License running on my laptop. This REALLY helps me out a lot for my productivity.

I was looking into the Black Friday sale stuff for the new license but I have to say that I'm confused. I paid $800 USD for my original licenses .. but the new Octane is 700 Euro discounted?!? .. Jeez .. that's f**king expensive .. and even more after the sale huh! And it seems the ONLY option is an enterprise license? .. I will NEVER get a subscription .. I hate the very idea of renting software that I want to own. I guess OTOY is just appealing to the big league boys for selling their software and us DAZ users (often scoffed at) have been gifted with this free version which is fully functional besides the 1 GPU limit and no network rendering. Well .. for what you're getting I'd say that's actually a pretty sweet deal. The DAZ plugin is pretty well known as the worst version of Octane that there is .. limited in every way by the standards of C4D, Maya etc .. but it does what I need it to for creating my graphic novels and such.

This 'DAZ Prime' freebie is actually JUST what I needed. A secondary Octane license for my Laptop to be able to work with. The single GPU limitation is fine as I only have one Titan X sitting in a graphics amp .. so this allows my laptop to be a second render device without having to shell out another fortune for this. So I applaud Octane for this. I tried the Blender version and I can't get that thing to do ANYTHING .. but the DAZ plugin is at least fairly user friendly.

Frustrations with the price, and apparent pandering to the big league users instead of every kind of user aside .. I wanna say a big thanks to OTOY for doing this. You didn't have to .. and that's perhaps why I'm most impressed. You made my year with this and it's the best black Friday special you could have given me.

I would like to consider getting the Octane 2020 upgrade but it seems this is aimed purely at RTX Devices .. so I doubt I'll see any improvements with my Titan X's. Also .. it's very unclear if there's even a DAZ plugin version of the new 2020 engine yet? But that's one helluva price jump to afford it so I might have to hold off on this and just stick with Octane 4 .. but in all honesty .. I do well with my current Octane plug .. and if I can ever learn how to use the Standalone app (you guys REALLY need to publish a tutorial of us DAZ users on that), perhaps I can do better still with this current engine.

Again, Thanks OTOY. This was a massive treat for me.
Sparkie
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby valzheimer » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 am

valzheimer Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 am
I have questions:

I'm confused, Octane Prime License shows up under my subscriptions but it says it's paid till the end of the year.
Is this the free-tier subscription license and if so what happens to it on January 1st 2020? Is this just a trial?
Is the only way to download free tier through this forum thread or should it be seen under accounts, eventually?
Why does my old v4 subscription say it's active but doesn't have all access under its license info (perpetual)?
What is all access and what not having all access means?

And also:
Does this plugin require standalone too or does it work on its own? It doesn't list standalone as required like paid versions did.
valzheimer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wendyluvscatz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:13 am

wendyluvscatz Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:13 am
thank you for this
I was frustrated I could not get OrDS2 to run on my new Windows 10 PC especially since I upgraded from 1.5 so paid a fair bit plus my OR4 upgrade for Carrara licenses
having Or4 standalone seemed to stop me adding 2 for DS
now I can use it with DS so happy and don't begrudge anyone for getting it free LOL I paid for at least 2 of you and didn't have it

I was not blaming anyone it was my messed up situation destroying both my useable PCIE lanes accidently on my old machine with my clumsy card reseating and cleaning resulting in my having to pull a grand out of my ass for a new computer!
a lot of stuff I couldn't transfer over at all at least Otoy lets me do Octane, I lost access to a pile of software that needs a GPU, my games are impossible to play with the onboard graphics
Win 10 64-bit CPU Ryzen 3 3600g 32GB RAM graphics RTX2080Ti
wendyluvscatz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Veneris » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:21 am

Veneris Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:21 am
I switch to IRAY, Octane Render for DAZ Studio never worked well for Animations. But I was hopeful, this time I won't pay more for something that doesn't work. Bye. :x
Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30Ghz (Quad Core), 12.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 620. Windows 7 (64 bits)
Veneris
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wendyluvscatz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:34 am

wendyluvscatz Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:34 am
Veneris wrote:I switch to IRAY, Octane Render for DAZ Studio never worked well for Animations. But I was hopeful, this time I won't pay more for something that doesn't work. Bye. :x

with that card I am surprised iray does to be honest :lol:
3Delight would probably suit you better on that rig, nothing wrong with it, it has some great features a PBR engine cannot do
wendyluvscatz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Veneris » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:44 am

Veneris Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:44 am
wendyluvscatz wrote:
Veneris wrote:I switch to IRAY, Octane Render for DAZ Studio never worked well for Animations. But I was hopeful, this time I won't pay more for something that doesn't work. Bye. :x

3Delight would probably suit you better on that rig, nothing wrong with it, it has some great features a PBR engine cannot do

The information of my "signature" below is old, I can't find the way to update. You know how? I have 2 GTX TITAN X
Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30Ghz (Quad Core), 12.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 620. Windows 7 (64 bits)
Veneris
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wendyluvscatz » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:24 am

wendyluvscatz Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:24 am
Veneris wrote:
wendyluvscatz wrote:

The information of my "signature" below is old, I can't find the way to update. You know how? I have 2 GTX TITAN X

is somewhere under your profile, I recently changed mine
yes this free plugin would only use one of your Titans so less useful to you
BTW it won't animate past a certain frame if you have the viewport disabled or not texture shaded, at least OrDs2 didn't.
for me the bigger drawback is redoing shaders but iray is slow enough on my card to justify that
wendyluvscatz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby marblechain » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:35 am

marblechain Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:35 am
I tried to post a few days ago when I downloaded the DAZ Studio free plugin but my post seems to have fallen through the cracks.

I'll try again ...

I am seeing two problems which are stopping me from going any further with Octane in DAZ Studio: the first is that geografts don't seem to be supported (they render plain white). The second is that, after that problem with geografts rendering white, all subsequent attempts to render anything produces completely white objects or figures (characters). I have been advised to make sure that "automatic material updates after content loads" is checked - and it is - but still all white.

Nevertheless, if geografts don't render there is no point in me continuing with this plugin so I hope someone can point to a method which will include them in the render.
marblechain

Postby face_off » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:02 am

face_off Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:02 am
If people have questions about their current licenses and the ability to update, please submit a ticket to OTOY via the Support menu option at the top of your screen.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Veneris » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:31 am

Veneris Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:31 am
@wendyluvscatz

Of course, I installed the free version and I have no problems for the animation, but since I saw that only one GPU was used, I returned to version 4 to be able to use the 2 GPUs.

But this version 4 of OCDs always when I reach 110 frames rendered in animation comes out error and I have to restart. I tried the IRAY even so with 2 GTX TITAN X the IRAY render engine is very slow. Actually I have another GTX TITAN X and a GTX TITAN Z saved, since I have another motherboard I will install all 4 cards together.

But taking 3 GTX TITAN X and a GTX TITAN Z accounts anyway, I think IRAY would remain slow compared to Octane Render for DAZ Studio.

I rendered the face of a woman with hair with IRAY (2 GTX TITAN X) and it took 10 minutes for a single frame. With Octane Render for DAZ Studio it took 1 minute and 25 seconds, of course they are not the same conditions but for the quality that is achieved it is acceptable.

I think I retract and I will have to get the latest version of Octane Render for DAZ Studio. I better pay OTOY the cost of the new license, than having to pay a high cost of electric power rendering with IRAY. :roll:
Veneris
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements