Page 4 of 5

Re: OctaneRender RTX | Vulkan - preview release is out!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:19 pm
by Timmaigh!
Most curious things are happening with this version.

At first it would not work at all for me, seemed like it required to get that new annual subscription stuff - the enterprise whatever thing. Which i have not bought yet, still rocking 4.02 and randomly trying these various release candidates...

But today, i misclicked the icon on my desktop when trying to run 4.02 and out of blue, it runs! Very nice.

So i tried the RTX testing script on the interior scene i currently work and it gave me nice 1,44x boost compared to RTX off. I was hoping for more based on the early promises, but this is not the heaviest geometry scene, and anyway, even additional 45 percent is better than nothing. Hoping for further improvements.

What surprised me though, Octane says i have almost half the VRAM unavailable for whatever reason, currently it reads: 2627/5956/11264... while the same scene, same render on 4.02 reads usual 2627/8950~9000/11264. What is up?

Additionally i cant click any material with the material picker - although that is maybe by design only, to make this version just preview?

Re: OctaneRender RTX | Vulkan - preview release is out!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:36 pm
by hazooka
Hello,
will this work with a subscription for octane render and c4d plugin? i have an error while launching it but the 2019.xb1 is working fine.

Re: OctaneRender RTX | Vulkan - preview release is out!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:29 am
by bepeg4d
Hi,
please post a screenshot of the error message you are having.
What is the Nvidia driver version installed?
ciao Beppe

Re: OctaneRender RTX | Vulkan - preview release is out!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 am
by hazooka
Here is the screenshot of the error message i get. I ve read about some people managing to launch it only with a subscription license. Why this isnt available for subscribers?
Image

Re: OctaneRender RTX | Vulkan - preview release is out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:28 am
by WiltedOctane
Has there been any confirmation yet on when these performance increases may reach C4D users?

Re: OctaneRender RTX | Vulkan - preview release is out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:50 pm
by mojave
Timmaigh! wrote:So i tried the RTX testing script on the interior scene i currently work and it gave me nice 1,44x boost compared to RTX off. I was hoping for more based on the early promises, but this is not the heaviest geometry scene, and anyway, even additional 45 percent is better than nothing. Hoping for further improvements.


Speedup strongly depends on your specific scene but you should see some speedup in most scenearios, please read the initial post for details.

Timmaigh! wrote:What surprised me though, Octane says i have almost half the VRAM unavailable for whatever reason, currently it reads: 2627/5956/11264... while the same scene, same render on 4.02 reads usual 2627/8950~9000/11264. What is up?


This is a preview version which still needs many optimizations and memory usage is one of them.

Timmaigh! wrote:Additionally i cant click any material with the material picker - although that is maybe by design only, to make this version just preview?


Please check the initial post for all limitations of this version. Picking is one of them.

Re: OctaneRender RTX | Vulkan - preview release is out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:52 pm
by mojave
WiltedOctane wrote:Has there been any confirmation yet on when these performance increases may reach C4D users?


Once we have an experimental SDK that plugins can use you should expect this anytime. We are currently working on getting this ready ASAP.

Re: OctaneRender RTX | Vulkan - preview release is out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:55 pm
by grimm
Does the new Nvidia driver version 430 for Linux support RT cores? Thanks,

Jason

Re: OctaneRender RTX | Vulkan - preview release is out!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:57 pm
by Timmaigh!
mojave wrote:
Timmaigh! wrote:So i tried the RTX testing script on the interior scene i currently work and it gave me nice 1,44x boost compared to RTX off. I was hoping for more based on the early promises, but this is not the heaviest geometry scene, and anyway, even additional 45 percent is better than nothing. Hoping for further improvements.


Speedup strongly depends on your specific scene but you should see some speedup in most scenearios, please read the initial post for details.

Timmaigh! wrote:What surprised me though, Octane says i have almost half the VRAM unavailable for whatever reason, currently it reads: 2627/5956/11264... while the same scene, same render on 4.02 reads usual 2627/8950~9000/11264. What is up?


This is a preview version which still needs many optimizations and memory usage is one of them.

Timmaigh! wrote:Additionally i cant click any material with the material picker - although that is maybe by design only, to make this version just preview?


Please check the initial post for all limitations of this version. Picking is one of them.



Thank you for your responses.

One more question, when can we actually expect RTX support to become part of regular releases, beyond this preview version? To me, it is the feature of interest No.1. I purchased 2x RTX 2080Ti solely because of Octane last year in November and still cant use them to their full potential more than half year later. Obviously, that was my choice, still i made it in good faith it will actually become usable feature soon enough for it to matter, at least half-way into the life-cycle of Turing generation. Which may be about now, hence my question.

Re: OctaneRender RTX | Vulkan - preview release is out!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:17 am
by lobstermd
I'm wondering the same thing, it's the only reason I've picked up using Octane again.