OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Forums: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access -Update FAQ

Postby Goldorak » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:32 am

Goldorak Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:32 am
eklein wrote:I am hobbyist and I own some plugins and have no need for the 20+ plugins rental. I would like to continue updating the plugins that I am own. Can you have something similar to Redshift as far the maintenance upgrade price for the plugins that I own. If I stop I will be able to use version when my maintenance period ended.

It would be quite frustrating that if I stop in 2021. I would have to go back to the 2018 octane version 4. Since I would have a lot of new scenes that I would not be able to open back to octane version 4 because of the changes that happen in 3 years.

Eric

Would making the 36 month / 3yr upgrade become rent-to-own work? This would mean your already fully purchased licenses (but not without cloud, extra AA plugins, nor extra render nodes that come with AA) remain on the later versions as a perpetual license.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby dococtane » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:35 am

dococtane Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:35 am
Thanks for the hard work and the absolute great and the unexpected free update!

Also, thanks for the FAQ and giving us space to comment on this.

I also have to agree with some of the more critical comments about the new licensing system. I use my personal Octane license only for non-commercial and personal work at home and invested in a new RTX Card a few weeks ago. Now knowing that I can't use its full potential without having the Studio Subscription is really disappointing. I‘m willing to pay for Octane, that's no question since its also hard work to develop the tool and so on, but another subscription that high is too much for personal stuff imo.

So, I also vote for a system like Allegorithmic with Substance Painter. You can get the subscription for constant updates and the complete tool set but you can also buy one year maintenance of one tool and renew it to a certain price if you want to. If not you stick to the latest version you paid for. And I also think that there should be a difference between big companies, smaller ones and hobbyist / indie persons.

Thanks!
Tobi
dococtane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:27 am

Goldorak Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:27 am
The maintenance model is what we intended here for perpetual licenses and by making the 36 month option rent-to-own, that will allow at least one path to owning newer versions without lockout after that time is done.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jsboudreau » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:40 am

jsboudreau Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:40 am
Goldorak wrote:The maintenance model is what we intended here for perpetual licenses and by making the 36 month option rent-to-own, that will allow at least one path to owning newer versions without lockout after that time is done.

HI

Just curious why are you only suggesting the rent to own on the 3 year plan and not the 1 or 2 year plan?

I'm suspecting it's because in 3 years there will be quite a few updates and versions added. But from my calculations since The 3 Year plan is $597(BF Discount) 25%) Regular will be $746 - this would make it close to or the same as paying $240/ year (All Access Upgrade) over the 3 years for a total of $720
except you will get rent to own.

Why not just make the All Access at $240/year be rent to own. It's basically the same thing

Thanks,
Jason
jsboudreau
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby eklein » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:11 am

eklein Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:11 am
I would be okay with a 3-year rent to own. I have already being Otoy costumer for more than 3 years. One potential option is to make the All-Access Upgrade 3-year buy option that allows to keep your original plugins and the standalone at the end of the subscription.

This option also rewards your long term customers. Instead of making current customers and new customers paid the same rental price.

Eric
eklein
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:42 am

Goldorak Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:42 am
eklein wrote:I would be okay with a 3-year rent to own. I have already being Otoy costumer for more than 3 years. One potential option is to make the All-Access Upgrade 3-year buy option that allows to keep your original plugins and the standalone at the end of the subscription.

This option also rewards your long term customers. Instead of making current customers and new customers paid the same rental price.

Eric

It's done. We've updated the FAQ above with some preliminary details. Note that if you are on a 1-2 year plan, we can side-grade you to 3 (within a reasonable time of purchase), and rent-to-own still applies.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:02 am

Goldorak Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:02 am
jsboudreau wrote:
Goldorak wrote:The maintenance model is what we intended here for perpetual licenses and by making the 36 month option rent-to-own, that will allow at least one path to owning newer versions without lockout after that time is done.

HI

Just curious why are you only suggesting the rent to own on the 3 year plan and not the 1 or 2 year plan?

I'm suspecting it's because in 3 years there will be quite a few updates and versions added. But from my calculations since The 3 Year plan is $597(BF Discount) 25%) Regular will be $746 - this would make it close to or the same as paying $240/ year (All Access Upgrade) over the 3 years for a total of $720
except you will get rent to own.

Why not just make the All Access at $240/year be rent to own. It's basically the same thing

Thanks,
Jason

With a 3 year plan we can better amortize support costs for a user owning (and continuing to use) versions beyond V4.

The reason we need to be thoughtful about how this works in future updates , is that there may be more online-only pieces coming in Octane that will not baked in to the engine but offered through new (and not free to run) cloud services replacing LiveDB with something better - which update 1st and 3rd party nodes, modules, shaders, and more. None of that is in 2018.1 now, but we will need to revisit how this works for RtO when we get closer to implementing this.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:21 am

Goldorak Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:21 am
sHTiF wrote:Just making sure, so RTX upgrades will not be part of non-enterprise subscriptions ever? This seems like the non-enterprise subscriptions are quite useless in near future where all the other renderers optimize for RTX across their product line, some renderers with over 200% speedup now with new versions in some cases. Still I prefer Octane way more the approach is just puzzling. I am kind of let down or surprised for better word with Octane 4 where RTX 2070 has basically the same bench result as RTX 2080 with quite different number of cuda cores. Why is that? It makes a decision about which GPUs to actually buy quite confusing at the moment.

Updates in the FAQ - regarding 1 GPU RT Core + Vulkan for subs.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Postby eklein » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 am

eklein Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 am
I read the update FAQ on perpetual license. It reads that the AA pass to own will revert to 2018.1 at minimum. If at the end of my 3 year AA pass to own I am on version 2021.1 it does not make sense to revert to 2018.1 at minimum.

It would much better if at the end of the 3 year AA pass to own. Your box licenses would stay at the latest octane version you had before the license expired.

Eric
eklein
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Postby sbstnc » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:23 am

sbstnc Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:23 am
I have to agree with some other users here, a) I am still confused and b) reverting to v4 if we stop paying in a few years doesn't make sense. I prefer the Redshift model where, when you stop paying, you are left with whatever the most recent version was, when your maintenance ran out. Not getting to 2020, stopping payment for whatever reason, and losing access to everything except the v4 from December 2018?

I also don't understand the render node situation, or the monthly access.

I bought additional standalone and C4D licenses to use on render nodes. They're just render boxes only. So it's looking like I should sell one or more of these, and buy an all-access with included render node? As this would work out more cost effective for me. I'm not going to pay a yearly maintenance just for a render slave. Either a lower cost slave license or main licence + bonus node is a better option.

Monthly vs other models. Can I pay for a month of extra licenses if I need extra rendering, then stop that when rendering is done, reverting back to fewer licenses on workstations? Ie, have access on tap. This would make more sense than me maintaining a bunch of yearly subscriptions (or paying monthly on a bunch of licenses that sit idle) when the only purpose of those licenses is to boost render power. Not all of us can afford to stack our machine rooms with 8xGPU boxes (or even buy $2000 2080 cards) so to build up a render farm we end up having 4xGPU boxes and extra Octane licenses on them.
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements