OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Forums: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Postby Goldorak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:42 am

Goldorak Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:42 am
OctaneRender 4 / All Access -Update FAQ: For existing monthly subscription customers

EDIT: Updated with details on Free Tier, 3rd party Renderfarms, single GPU Vulkan-RTX support in subs, and rent-to-own options

Do I need to pay more to upgrade to Octane 4 for my monthly $20 Octane Studio subscription?

No - you are automatically updated to V4 standalone and plugin you are subscribed to and the cost is still $20/month.

Does my monthly subscription licence support more than 2 GPUs now?

Yes - with V4 (and V4 only) you can use up to 20 GPUs. Future versions with the RT-Vulkan backend will at least initially be released with the normal studio subscription 1-2 GPU limit (see below)

Does my monthly subscription licence support network rendering?

Yes - with V4 adding another monthly subscription licence adds another slave node - and subscription licences now support up to 20 GPUs with V4 (and V4 only) with network rendering.

Does my $20 monthly subscription cover ‘All-Access’ to get other plugins besides the one I subscribed to?

Yes - if you pay annually. If you are paying monthly now, you need to switch to an annual All-Access subscription pass, which is a new option under the monthly subscription. Annual passes are currently discounted 20% until Q1 2019.

Do I have to cancel my existing monthly subscription to upgrade to an annual ‘All-Access’ pass?

Yes, it is a different licence. There is no upgrade needed - you can simply cancel your monthly subscription and get an annual pass (contact support for help ensuring your time is amortized if you are doing this mid-month).

Why do I still have to pick a plug-in with ‘All-Access’ passes if I now get access to all of them?

Multiple V4 plug-ins are coming in Q1 2019, and until they do, you need to select your primary plug-in. Even after multiple plug-ins are available, we will ask subscription uses to select a primary plug-in for support and maintenance purposes.

What else do I get with ‘All-Access’ annual passes?

Access to ORC (cloud rendering) is included as of Q1.

Does ‘All-Access’ give me a second render slave?

We are planning to add a limited second V4 render slave to subscription annual passes in Q1 that supports net rendering on a second machine without needing to get an additional licence. This ‘render extender’ is not a full render slave licence - and it cannot be paired or used with other licences or used as a standalone licence in any way - think of it like having a GPU extender for your main machine, but over LAN.

Does my Octane 4 Studio subscription support RTX optimizations a now and in the future?

Octane 4 is already highly optimized for RTX Turing GPUs, and scores 25% higher than 3.08, and fully supports out of core rendering without NV Link being needed.

Further RT Core acceleration with Vulkan - as well as NV Link support - are experimental today and beyond the V4 release. These features will be made fully available first through Enterprise annual subscriptions which are also $20 /Month ( $16.59/ Month through the end of the year) but require that you have first made a one time purchase of OctaneRender Standalone+DCC Enterprise (either Combo or All-access bundle) from the purchase page. The All Access Bundle comes with 1 or more years included.

Experimental Single GPU support with Vulkan-RT Core acceleration is planned for studio subscriptions in 2019 - further details will be finalized closer to the release.

OctaneRender 4 / All Access/ Update FAQ: For existing customers with a purchased (Enterprise) Licence:

Do I need to pay anything to upgrade to Octane 4?

No. You can follow the instructions and upgrade all your V3 licences to V4 for free. This includes your V3 DCC licences as well as V3 standalone licences.

Do I get a access to other DCC plug-ins when I upgrade to Octane 4 for free?

No. Your free upgrade to V4 only gives you access to the same plug-ins you purchased with V3, unless you add Octane All-Access from the upgrade page (see below), which includes access to all Octane 4 Studio plugins in early 2019.

Do I get a second render node for free when I upgrade to Octane 4 for free?

No. Your free upgrade to V4 gives you access to the same number of render slaves as you had with V3, unless you add Octane All-Access form the upgrade page (see below) which includes a second render slave node.

Do I get RTX optimizations when I upgrade to Octane 4 for free?

Yes, Octane 4 is already highly optimized for RTX Turing GPUs, and today scores 25% higher than 3.08 on RTX cards and fully supports out of core rendering without NV Link being needed.

Future versions of Octane will add NV Link and RT core support, but those are not included in this free update.

Do I get future versions after V4 for free when I upgrade to Octane 4 for free?

No. V4 is the last major update we can give away for free at this time.

Future updates (2018.1 and later) are fully optional through a $20/month per node (standalone licence) with Octane-All Access annual passes.

All V4 DCC plug-ins get updated along with the standalone licence after it is updated with an all-access pass.

You can extend your V4 licence to AA at any time on the Shop->Purchase->upgrade page - and you will get a 20% discount through the end of the year - effectively making it $16.59/month.

Offline USB Dongles will work with new versions of Octane you access this way.

If I cancel my Annual Pass can I still use Octane?

You can still use Octane 4 the same way you do now without an annual pass, and any permanent licences you have purchased will work and are yours forever. Any USB Dongles activated for annual pass can be reverted to V4.

After the term of your annual all-access pass, you won’t have access to the extra plugins, render slaves or later version updates* that came with your annual pass.

However you can re-activate an annual pass later at any time.

*For 3 year passes, we are planning to support a rent-to-own system that let's you keep using versions after V4 (at minimum 2018.1 now in beta), with limited support and online features and only for your purchased licences. (see below)

If someone cancels their Access Pass, what version of Octane 4 do they revert back to? Would it be the latest 4.x update released while they were on subscription or does it revert back to Octane 4.0 ?

No matter what the status of your annual pass is, and even if you don't have one, you will always own and have access to the latest V4 releases (we made 5 updates to 3.08, and there may be just as many or more for V4). Also note that any big fixes or general improvements made in Octane 2018 will also be back ported to V4.

How can I get a perpetual licence to Octane 2018.1 or later?

Owning Octane is clearly important to many current boxed licence users, and we're working to support such a model for updates beyond V4.

For longer term AA plans beyond 1-2 years (currently being re-worked for the shop page in Q1), we are exploring one or more options for a limited rent-to-own model (those who already bought 3 year passes during the BF sale to date are covered)

The intent with rent-to-own (and please note final details are still TBD) is to find a system to let boxed licence users keep using 2018.1 (at minimum) without having to render their AA annual subscriptions - albeit with extremely restricted (possibly zero) support and with all online features disabled (i.e. no LiveDB, ORC or similar) . This would be covering only updates applied to fully purchased standalone and DCC licences (not any extra subscription DCC|slave licences that are added with the AA pass). Once all details of this system are finalized we want to offer a simple way for existing 1-2 year annual plans to transition to this form of extended coverage as well. Our goal is to finalize implementation details by or around the 2018.1 stable release. Feedback is welcome in the comments below.

OctaneRender on Renderfarms

With version 4 done, one of the next updates on our short term list is a cloud version with usage based licencing (built on RNDR) for 3rd party render services like Thinkbox, Zync and Pixelplow. Some of these partnerships may be announced by EOY.

EDIT - We've now publicly shared that we're working with PixelPlow to bring Octane 4 support to the service ASAP - more details coming soon!

OctaneRender 4 free Tier FAQ:

A free version of Octane 4 will be released under a new subscription tier, limited to 2 GPUs maximum and only available in certain plug-ins.

When will it be released?

You can already use the full version of Octane 4 for free inside Unity. Other plug-ins, will roll out around Q1 2019, shortly after we complete all the work on the all-access multiple subscriptions.

What tools besides Unity will be supported?

Blender is next. We are looking at tools that are free to use, like Blender, for the free tier, but we may add others in time.

If I own Octane or am on a monthly subscription with a plugin not in the free tier (like Rhino), can I also use add or use free tier plug-ins alongside my paid licenses?

Yes.

Will future versions of Octane be supported in the free tier?

For 2018.1 and later, we may need to rethink the 2 GPU limit as a differentiation from the paid tiers . it is meaningless when two GPUs give you 800-1000 OB and 22 GB to 50 GB of combined VRAM:

RTX 2019-X2_OB.png
RTX 2019-X2_OB.png (20.36 KiB) Viewed 64763 times
Last edited by Goldorak on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:26 am, edited 17 times in total.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access -Updade FAQ

Postby KeeWe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:56 am

KeeWe Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:56 am
How long is the Black Friday offer lasting? A countdown or something else to help us in different timezones would be a nice feature. In short: how many hours are left getting the AA for 179$?
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:09 am

Goldorak Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:09 am
KeeWe wrote:How long is the Black Friday offer lasting? A countdown or something else to help us in different timezones would be a nice feature. In short: how many hours are left getting the AA for 179$?

Through Sunday at midnight PST -with a case by case grace period for those that may miss that exact time.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Chug » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:10 am

Chug Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:10 am
If someone cancels his All Access Pass, what version of Octane 4 can he still use : the last update he got while being on subscription or does it revert back to Octane 4.0 ?
Chug
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:32 am

Goldorak Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:32 am
Chug wrote:If someone cancels his All Access Pass, what version of Octane 4 can he still use : the last update he got while being on subscription or does it revert back to Octane 4.0 ?

The latest version of V4, always. Also note that any big fixes or general improvements made in Octane 2018 will also be back ported to V4.

I will add this to the FAQ above.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Lewis » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:44 am

Lewis Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:44 am
Holy molly that' pretty expensive now?

So if i got it clear in my case i have 3 combo licenses purchased (already payed 1500$+for those through v2 and v3 period)
That would mean i need to pay 240$ per node/yearly = 720$/year for my 3 licenses now (+TAX ofcourse) ?

Considering upgrade from v2 to v3 was 75$ (100$ after discount period) this seems like drastic price increase? i.e. 300$ vs 720$/year (full verison) - considering you can even do full release version in 1 year?

P.S: Maybe there should be cheaper verison for just 1 plugin month subscription option. Even if you include all 20 plugins in All-acces it's unlikely that we all need so many plugins at all. I'd need 1 or 2 plugin version tops.

Thanks for info.
Last edited by Lewis on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Lewis
http://www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

WS AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090, 1 * RTX 3090
RS1 i7 9800X, 64GB RAM, Win10, 3 * RTX 3090
RS2 i7 6850K, 64GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090
Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:58 am

Goldorak Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:58 am
Lewis wrote:Holy molly that' pretty expensive now?

So if i got it clear in my case i have 3 combo licenses purchased (already payed 1500$+for those through v2 and v3 period)
That would mean i need to pay 240$ per node/yearly = 720$/year for my 3 licenses now (+TAX ofcourse) ?

Considering upgrade from v2 to v3 was 75$ (100$ after discount period) this seems like drastic price increase? i.e. 300$ vs 720$/year (full verison) - considering you can even do full release version in 1 year?

P.S: Maybe there should be cheaper verison for just 1 plugin month subscription option. Even if you include all 20 plugins in All-acces it's unlikely that we all need so many plugins at all. I'd need 1 or 2 plugin version tops.

Thanks for info.

We did V3.08, V4 and V5 in 12 months, and V6 with RTX is halfway done and early next year. So if you want those kind of updates every year multiply 3 x 75 and you have more cost than $179 year which is what it is on the shop page today. Also, V4 was free and still is, so amortize the upgrades from that perspective.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Lewis » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Lewis Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:08 pm
Thanks for info Jules,

Can you please answer this question also.

IF i buy subscription for 2019, 2020 and let's say you release 2 full Octane versions until then.

What happens if user decides he can't/won't upgrade for 2021, does he fall back to Octane v4 or can use last version he downloaded until his maintence/subscription lasted (in this example Octane 2020) ?

cheers
--
Lewis
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Goldorak Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:23 pm
Lewis wrote:Thanks for info Jules,

Can you please answer this question also.

IF i buy subscription for 2019, 2020 and let's say you release 2 full Octane versions until then.

What happens if user decides he can't/won't upgrade for 2021, does he fall back to Octane v4 or can use last version he downloaded until his maintence/subscription lasted (in this example Octane 2020) ?

cheers

As it says in the FAQ if when you cancel, you go back to V4 and what you had before the update period(s) started. That doesn't mean we can't come up with some middle ground much further down the line that improves on this in 2021, but there isn't any plan for this at the moment.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Lewis » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:37 pm

Lewis Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:37 pm
Goldorak wrote:As it says in the FAQ if when you cancel, you go back to V4 and what you had before the update period(s) started. That doesn't mean we can't come up with some middle ground much further down the line that improves on this in 2021, but there isn't any plan for this at the moment.

Thanks Jules, that is now much more clear on upgrade policy.

I hope you guys could reconsider and use Foundry and Alleghoritmic, RedShift method of "keeping" version user upgraded up to when his maintenance date expires and not go back to old verison (in this case v4 only). That would really help users to decide and not be "locked in" into MUST upgrade 'coz in case user who don't' upgrade his subscription all the time won't be able to use his files/scenes/projects anymore created in any later version than v4 since he goes back to v4 which don't support those features from 2018, 2019... etc....

Thanks one more time i appreciate your time for spending here on forums :).
--
Lewis
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next