OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Forums: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Postby Yichen_Dou » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 am

Yichen_Dou Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 am
Otoy, have you done research about the user group? For those individual artists, designer or small studio, including me, we don't have more than 2 GPUs in our machines because it's unnecessary. According to stats, GPU performance is dramatically increasing in these few years, whcih means less GPU amounts could be the trends for most individuals. Now you make the Octane 4 free with the limitation of gpu amounts and we feel like we are being cheated. In short, perpetual license users like me will be exactly same as free users, wasted what I paid for. I have no words to say, it's too disappointed. I even have had invited my friend to purchase the perpetual license with addon, which is most useless payment after you made the decision.
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz Quad
RAM: 32.00 GB
Graphic Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Yichen_Dou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access -Update FAQ

Postby acc24ex » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 pm

acc24ex Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 pm
OMG YOU ARE CONFUSING WITH THE LICENCING - what happened to what I had since beta 1 version, I pay for upgrade and you give me access
- so I have the v 4 paid, and I wanna use 2018.1 - what do I do to have it working fully?
Just give me that - I wanna use all the options we had with 2018.1 beta

..sorry for not reading 24 pages of FAQ and questions from other members :/ (I've been using it since the early beta and beta 3d max)
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gaazsi » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:01 pm

gaazsi Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:01 pm
that licensing system sounds a. confusing and b. a bit greedy :)
maybe better to switch to another renderer during the next 1-2 years then... sad but true :(
but i am not willing to pay nearly 1000 bucks each year for daz plugin +3 render nodes with 2gpus each... as a freelancer
gaazsi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Stefan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:07 pm

Stefan Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:07 pm
Hello and congrats on the increased development speed!

I have to agree with many of the previous customers comments though.
I too feel quite disappointed about the short blip that Octane 4 was on the time line.
The quick switch to new version names seems just like an arbitrary excuse to introduce the new licensing system to me.

For example, it was promised that Octane 4 would be able to utilize houdini attributes.
But this essential feature got pushed to the 2018/19 version.
Also the offline licensing was said to come back...

After the rather bad experience with the promised features and delivery dates in my years of octane usage I do not feel comfortable with a big upfront payment.

Having said that, I still like using Octane, but am unsure about the offering.
So let me see if I got it right:
As a current Octane 4 standalone and houdini plugin owner, who wants to use the latest Octane on a machine with two cards, my best option would be, to rent it per "all access" for round about 200$ annually.
If I extend the renting period to three years in total, I would be able to use the version of 2022 continuously.
If I stop the subscription in 2020 or 2021, it will revert back to the relatively obsolete version 4! :roll:
If I purchase an additional USB dongle, I could use which ever version I am allowed online offline as well,
just without the cloud-based features right?

Best regards
Stefan
Stefan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ttaberna » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:47 pm

ttaberna Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:47 pm
Like acc24ex, I am a long time octane user, beta and 3ds max alpha tester. And a yearly paid subscription model means a "goodbye octane" for me. I am a teacher (I have free 3dsmax license) and a hobbyist and cannot afford to pay 200/year in advance to continue playing with octane.
So, so long, it's been a nice 9 year ride. Love octane. :oops:
Rampage IV Extreme+i7 3920k+2x GTX580 3GB+2x GTX470
ttaberna
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby robertbrian » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:57 pm

robertbrian Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:57 pm
Any news about the release date of the Free Tier? Thanks.
robertbrian

Postby alecchalmers » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:41 am

alecchalmers Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:41 am
Hi, apologies if these questions have already been asked, I'm going through the many posts of this thread and the FAQ but can't find an answer.

1, Will 'OctaneRender 4™ Enterprise Standalone | Render Slave' be supported right up to version 5?
2. How many computers could I install this on? It would be nice to install it on my work laptop for some lunchtime rendering :D
alecchalmers

Postby gaazsi » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:06 pm

gaazsi Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:06 pm
most awkward point is the limitation/removal of networkrendering. that was one of my main reasons to use octane... from my pov its obvious that customers should be pushed to use the octane renderfarms that way...
absolutely wrong way...
gaazsi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:35 am

Goldorak Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:35 am
gaazsi wrote:most awkward point is the limitation/removal of networkrendering. that was one of my main reasons to use octane... from my pov its obvious that customers should be pushed to use the octane renderfarms that way...
absolutely wrong way...

Network rendering is in the enterprise builds.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:39 am

Goldorak Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:39 am
ttaberna wrote:Like acc24ex, I am a long time octane user, beta and 3ds max alpha tester. And a yearly paid subscription model means a "goodbye octane" for me. I am a teacher (I have free 3dsmax license) and a hobbyist and cannot afford to pay 200/year in advance to continue playing with octane.
So, so long, it's been a nice 9 year ride. Love octane. :oops:

You got octane 4 for free (2 years of work on our ends) and can keep using it forever. Sorry But if you want to play with the newer versions go for the free or monthly tiers if you don’t want to go for the annual updates.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements