OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Forums: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Postby Goldorak » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:26 am

Goldorak Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:26 am
promity wrote:This is a foul play. Many came to Octane based on the calculations that by purchasing a plug-in + stationary program, they can no longer spend big money on upgrades. Moreover, our area of ​​activity is fraught with large expenditures - for software (today, in order to keep 3d services afloat in the market, you need a whole list of programs that cost a lot of money), for computers and components (video cards now cost much more than a few years ago). But software vendors are not doing nothing - they are constantly looking for ways to clear the pockets of their customers again and again. I would agree that updating and improving programs is the most honest way to make money for software companies, but I cannot agree with their desire to develop ways to clean their customers ’pockets by modifying licensing agreements and policies that do not lead to renting the basics of using their product. Why not make an option for small studios or freelancers - with a limit on the number of video cards and programs (I, for example, do not need access to plug-ins for a number of programs) and with the possibility of upgrading according to the old scheme? If the Otoy policy does not change in this regard - as soon as the opportunity arises, I will switch to using other renderers with the classic upgrade scheme.

The old scheme as you call it was $80-$100+ per upgrade cycle, which came every two years. But now it’s every 4 months between versions - our team is bigger and our pace of delivery is faster. For V3 to V4, we charged zero, even though it was years
of work.

So if you now want to own V5,V6,V7, V8 on the pace we are at now for this year, under the old scheme, then just be prepared to pay for a cumulative upgrade of all those updates to own it. And yes each of these new versions is as big as V2/V3/V4 updates were. Some like RTX HW and Vulkan in V7 are a complete rewrite of Octane and bigger than any prior version upgrade we’ve attempted.

The other option for those that want all these releases at the lowest price possible is pure rental, which has been around now for 2 years and going, and is the way many new users can afford to get on Octane today. We’ll let users choose which option they want, but we’re not slowing down development or charging less than we should to sustain this new rate of releases.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gaazsi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:45 pm

gaazsi Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:45 pm
may i ask once again...
whats the point of limiting the number of gpus for studio licenses beside pushing people to enterprise licenses or the octane renderfarm? yes i know, v4 can handle up to 20... great... but why not simply keep it like that in future?

btw the "old" scheme with 80-100 bucks per update still sounds better to me, even with more updates each year... as i still own that version and can continue working with it once i decide to take a break in updating stuff
same goes for those plugins... i wonder if there is anyone really using more than two or three of them :)
gaazsi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby robertbrian » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:40 pm

robertbrian Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:40 pm
Those with no Octane 4 will have the opportunity to buy a perpetual license? Obviously in a way, if you say I prepay for several years ahead and later as you mentioned I only have one plugin without support...etc.
robertbrian

Postby Goldorak » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:57 am

Goldorak Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:57 am
gaazsi wrote:may i ask once again...
whats the point of limiting the number of gpus for studio licenses beside pushing people to enterprise licenses or the octane renderfarm? yes i know, v4 can handle up to 20... great... but why not simply keep it like that in future?

btw the "old" scheme with 80-100 bucks per update still sounds better to me, even with more updates each year... as i still own that version and can continue working with it once i decide to take a break in updating stuff
same goes for those plugins... i wonder if there is anyone really using more than two or three of them :)

Because we are about to introduce RTX support for 3-4x speed ups in many scenes, and we want to gather data on how this impacts sales before throwing this into a $20/month sub and erasing the delta between users who pay $700 up front and those who pay $20. The solution we are likely to arrive at with the launch of 2019.1 is a monthly near enterprise license tier that is priced above $20 (but not by much) for those that want NVLink and netrender+RT Core support and more. We’ll share specifics and get feedback from the community when we are close to this point and before we finalize anything. Either way, we are committed to ensuring Octane is the best value you can get at any price point.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jimho » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:16 am

jimho Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:16 am
TRRazor wrote:In comparison to many of the other plug-ins the OctaneRender for DAZ Studio plug-in is in a pretty underdeveloped state. A lot of the features (when new ones come with the fresh standalone releases) cannot, or won't be implemented into it, because face_off feels, that they wouldn't make sense, or are too hard to implement in to the plug-in.
.... on which face_off could then work with the same ease, as with his other (fantastic) plug-ins...

Just happen to see this post,
I am an octane for revit user, but have the exactly the same comment as TRRazer mentioned regard to the plugin I am using, unfortunately, it is also one of the "fantastic" plugin from the same developer...

I am struggling too,
to consider either give up the plugin or even to give up octane and get back to vray and enscape

Though I really love octane as an render engine.
hope Otoy will heard our voice.

Supermicro 4028GR TR2|Intel xeon E5 2697 V3| windows 10| revit 2019 |Titan V+ Quadro GV100+RTX 2080 Ti
jimho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 am

Zay Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 am
I bought the upgrade to "All access" but don't dare to use it now because of the uncertainties about Octanes license/subscription future. Will file savings be backwards compatible with V4 ?
Do we get a perpetual license where we can pay for upgrades and keep them, or do you keep the current idea and send users back to V4 if they don't pay for the next subscription?
Last edited by Zay on Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby promity » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:51 am

promity Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:51 am
+1 for Zay and Jimho.

I am in favor of various options - full access for those who really need plug-ins for a variety of programs. The old method of upgrading a single plug-in for those who do not need plug-ins for all those programs that it does not use.
Why not? probably one reason - this way the company will get less money. But on the other hand, those who do not like the new licensing policy will not turn away from it - otherwise they will simply go to other renderers.
AMD Threadripper 1950X/64gb ram/RTX 3080 Ti + RTX 2070/Samsung SSD 870 EVO 500 gb/
Lightwave 3d
promity
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 am

calus Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 am
Zay wrote:If I save a project under ver. 2018 I can not use those files if I don't have the money to continue a subscription, right?

Wrong,
obviously Octane 4 can open Octane 2018.1 scenes ...
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gaazsi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:58 pm

gaazsi Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:58 pm
calus wrote:
Zay wrote:If I save a project under ver. 2018 I can not use those files if I don't have the money to continue a subscription, right?

Wrong,
obviously Octane 4 can open Octane 2018.1 scenes ...

wow, magic. what about a version in maybe three years?
gaazsi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Zay Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:08 pm
calus wrote:obviously Octane 4 can open Octane 2018.1 scenes ...

You are right. Did several tests again and this time it worked. Would like to get that confirmed though before using 2018.1.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements