OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Forums: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:45 am

Goldorak Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:45 am
tim_grove wrote:I read through facebook and this thread for about an hour last night and I still couldn't work out my own scenario as a freelancer. So here it is:

Currently:
Have a single machine with 2x1080Ti's.
Have a $20 Subscription, which gets me standalone and the C4D plugin.

In future I'd like to:
Upgrade the machine to 2x2080Ti's or 4x2080Ti's, and ensure that I receive all the benefits of the RTX technology.
Receive regular updates to the Standalone and C4D plugin OctaneRender products, 2018.1 (V5), 2019 (V6) Etc.

For some reason I thought my subscription would continue to do these things, but it seems like I might be wrong. What are my options?

Subscriptions. until a few days ago, were limited to 2 GPUs (or 1 GPU with some plug-ins). We have lifted this limit for V4, mainly to see the impact it makes in this tier (and I don't think anyone is complaining), but we're planning to return to the normal max GPU limit in future releases, including 2018.1 now in beta.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby tim_grove » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:25 am

tim_grove Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:25 am
Goldorak wrote:
tim_grove wrote:I read through facebook and this thread for about an hour last night and I still couldn't work out my own scenario as a freelancer. So here it is:

Currently:

In future I'd like to:
Upgrade the machine to 2x2080Ti's or 4x2080Ti's, and ensure that I receive all the benefits of the RTX technology.
Receive regular updates to the Standalone and C4D plugin OctaneRender products, 2018.1 (V5), 2019 (V6) Etc.

For some reason I thought my subscription would continue to do these things, but it seems like I might be wrong. What are my options?

Subscriptions. until a few days ago, were limited to 2 GPUs (or 1 GPU with some plug-ins). We have lifted this limit for V4, mainly to see the impact it makes in this tier (and I don't think anyone is complaining), but we're planning to return to the normal max GPU limit in future releases, including 2018.1 now in beta.

For sure, that's the only reason I ever considered going to 4 GPU's as I thought this lift to 20 GPU's might have been a permanent one. Never the less the data would be really interesting, at my income I can't ever foresee building a machine with more than 4 GPU's and certainly not more than 10, if I move to a larger job the render farm option is usually well in the budget for me. It'd be interesting to know how many other users in this tier are the same or if I'm an outlier.

I guess my original question stands though, suppose there is only 2xGPU support at the $20 subscription tier, I upgrade to 2xRTX cards next year, and want to receive all future updates to Octane for Standalone + C4D Plugin. Can I continue paying $20 a month and get this? Or will I need to purchase something else? If so, what is it?
tim_grove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby johlanga » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 am

johlanga Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 am

Currently:

In future I'd like to:

You have to buy a "Octane Enterprise All-Access Annual Pass". But don't take my word fore it.

And it's strange that no one from Otoy can confirm this.
It's highly possible that this subscription/Pass also have limited GPU optimization on new RTX GPUs. (like a Ferrari running on two cylinders)......Obviously from a customer pov, this is not acceptable.
Win7 Sp2____2xGTX1060 [email protected]____Su17.2.2555 and Su18.0.16975____SketchUp Plugin 4.00.0.17____4.00.RC7 Standalone
johlanga
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:37 am

Goldorak Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:37 am
johlanga wrote:

Currently:

In future I'd like to:

You have to buy a "Octane Enterprise All-Access Annual Pass". But don't take my word fore it.

It's highly possible that this subscription/Pass also have limited GPU optimization on new RTX GPUs. (like a Ferrari running on two cylinders)......Obviously from a customer pov, this is not acceptable.

It’s confirmed in the FAQ that you will get at least 1 GPU support with full RT Core support. If you need more than that, purchase the enterprise AA bundle.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby johlanga » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:55 am

johlanga Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:55 am
Goldorak wrote:
johlanga wrote:

Currently:

In future I'd like to:

It’s confirmed in the FAQ that you will get at least 1 GPU support with full RT Core support. If you need more than that, purchase the enterprise AA bundle.

Yes, but how many RTX optimized GPUs can we use on the "enterprise" subscription/Pass? Is it 2, 20, 200 or unlimited. All of which has been suggested in this forum and nothing confirmed from Otoy! :roll:
Win7 Sp2____2xGTX1060 [email protected]____Su17.2.2555 and Su18.0.16975____SketchUp Plugin 4.00.0.17____4.00.RC7 Standalone
johlanga
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tim_grove » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:06 am

tim_grove Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:06 am
Goldorak wrote:
johlanga wrote:

Currently:

In future I'd like to:

Ok so my understanding is that to fulfil my plans next year (2xRTX Cards, C4D Plugin with regular updates to new versions 2018.1, 2019 etc) I need to cancel my current $20 subscription and purchase the OctaneRender 4™ Enterprise DCC / All-Access Bundle at $699 (Currently 25% off) which will give me access to those things for 1 year. Is this correct?
tim_grove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby noisyboyuk » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:28 am

noisyboyuk Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:28 am
Hi!

Just two quick questions:

First (sorry to ask this again, I've asked several times on facebook and here but I think you guys have been so busy that my question has just gotten lost I think):

A while back we spoke on Facebook and you said that I should look out for a monthly subscription option which would give me a second render node to my perpetual master license. All I need to know is if that is now available at all and if not is it still coming down the line? Just to be clear it was compared to the $10 a month option for a slave render node for subs which would give us a limited slaver render node which will allow those of us with just one or two GPU's in a second machine to give us a little juice (in my case I could put all three GPUs in one machine but then I'd have to keep taking it out to use the other so it's more for convenience).

Second Q: With the Rent to Own option - I'd be very interested in this but I can't really afford the 3 years up front license. If I were to just pay each year for a 1 year licence and pay that each year for three years, will I then be able to cash that in at the end of three years? So basically can I rent for three years without a three year license and still get to own it at the end?

Thanks for being so great about listening to the feedback from you customers anyway - I have a lot of faith in the future vision of Octane's ecosystem so it's reassuring to know that you are taking all this feedback on board :)
noisyboyuk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby noisyboyuk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:30 pm

noisyboyuk Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:30 pm
Sorry to bump this thread again but I don't want to miss the sale but I can't go ahead and make a decision on the best move without getting an answer to either of my questions above.

Again - incredibly sorry to shamelessly bump, I hope you understand.
noisyboyuk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby billyhotdog » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:38 pm

billyhotdog Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:38 pm
I just don't understand these new license options.

I am using Octane for many years, at the moment I have two plugins that I actually need. I need Blender and Houdini and I sometimes use standalone as well. I am running the version 4 beta versions at the moment.

I want to upgrade to RTX cards in the near future and want to use at least 2 RTX GPUs, but preferably more. And maybe also combined with some older 1080 GPUs.

Please tell me what do I need. What does the OctaneRender® All-Access Extension (1 Year) give me?

I am sorry, but it is just extremely confusing and not clear at all.

I want to spend the 179 now with the discount, but I don't understand what I am buying. Will this actually cover my needs or do I need something else? I don't want extra other plugins, that is useless for me, just for the programs I use.

Please advise, thanks.
billyhotdog
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby overthere » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:48 pm

overthere Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:48 pm
Thanks Goldorak for the comprehensive response. I do appreciate that what works for one companies product is unlikely to directly translate to anothers. For myself if I didn't have an up to date subscription I wouldn't be expecting new GPU's to be supported on whatever version I had ended up on. Interesting to hear about the upcoming modular approach.
RTX2080, Win 10 64bit, 16GB RAM, AMD 1800X
overthere
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements