OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ

Forums: OctaneRender 4 / All Access - Update FAQ
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access -Update FAQ

Postby Padi » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:40 am

Padi Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:40 am
It is great to know there will be a free tier for Unity and Blender.

Will there also be a free 2-GPU tier for standalone to check ORBX file exports etc.?
Padi
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Smaker1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:05 am

Smaker1 Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:05 am
Hello

It may have been answered somewhere but I didn't found.

I'm currently using V3 on a single GPU and without any plug-in. I upgraded to the free V4 (thanks Otoy!).

What must I do next? is the Octane Enterprise All acces license the only way to benefit of the next Octane version even for my "low" needs as I'm not a professional and use Octane only for fun ?

Thanks for your answer
Smaker1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby chrisfranklin6002 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:57 pm

chrisfranklin6002 Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:57 pm
"Will future versions of Octane be supported in the free tier?"

"For 2018.1 and later, we may need to rethink the 2 GPU limit as a differentiation from the paid tiers . it is meaningless when two GPUs give you 800-1000 OB and 22 GB to 50 GB of combined VRAM:"

That's assuming that everyone's running 2080ti's!

Some people are still on 780tis - some people only have 1 card.

As Tom put - "if you can afford to spend thousands on equipment, what's an extra $45 a month?"

The 2 GPU subscription is for those people that don't have studios, are doing it for fun, are just out of uni. That's a bit mad.

It's the exact same price as a redshift annual license, which includes updates for 12 months, and support for rtx cards - and it's had Optix denoising in for the last god knows how long - just pointing that out, there's a lot of people sitting on the fence with the Octane/Redshift thing - this could be the tipping point.

RNDR Tokens seems like it's run by a totally different company....

Still love Octane though!
chrisfranklin6002
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fantome » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:02 pm

fantome Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:02 pm
So basically if i get it right otoy is ditching the owning license model to a rent only model like AD, except if you want to base your workflow on V4 and thus stay freeze in 2018 for eternity.
So if i want to use octane 2018.1 as a proud owner of 4 V3 nodes, i need to pay 20$*4*12 = 960$ per year. this includes access to all plugin including houdini / unreal / unity and all updates.
My question is , how many buck do i need to pay for 2018.1 with 4 nodes + AA if i am a new customers ? also 960$ ? or does it cost more money ?
Cause with your new licensing system i have this horrible feeling that whether you have invested in octane license or not the price is the same 20$, i hope i am wrong on this ...
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby p3taotoy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:23 pm

p3taotoy Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:23 pm
I’m soooo confused!!!
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Lewis » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Lewis Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:41 pm
Yes guys it's a bit confusing but essentially Octane 2018 and forward is becoming Rental only software (like Adobe CC and Autodesk).

I sent Feature request for "Subscribe to own" and "maintenance" options in the licensing system so hopefully they will reconsider this latest change and add those options as other companies offer (also their main competitor RedShift offers that).

So in case you are interested please vote in official FR system here:
https://render.otoy.com/requests/?qa=43 ... buy-option

Thanks
--
Lewis
http://www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

WS AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090, 1 * RTX 3090
RS1 i7 9800X, 64GB RAM, Win10, 3 * RTX 3090
RS2 i7 6850K, 64GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090
Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender 4 / All Access -Updade FAQ

Postby Refracty » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Refracty Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:07 pm
Hello Jules, Marcus and Team,

first of all congratulations for the release of V4. It is great to see how many useful updates you made this year and also how you listened to users and improved features and plugins like the Maya-plugin.
There is only one concern I have after reading the purchase plans, I have the feeling that recent investments of plugins are not credited for the near future.
It is great to have a free upgrade for V4 but the first stable 2018 release is planned to be released in a few weeks and so I have the feeling that all investments for previous licenses don't pay off soon.
Please find a way that recent plug in and standalone investments will be credited for 2018+ too, since this version is already around the corner.
Compared to Redshift and Autodesk payment schemes, I found the non-subscription / perpetual license solutions always a fair option for the users and I am a bit tired of all the subscription models being offered within the 3D industry nowadays. There are some tools where monthly subscription makes sense - If you don't use them on a regular basis for example but a render plugin is a constant helper that you might need almost daily.
I don't want to overshadow the wonderful release of V4 too much since 2018/2019 is not out yet (as stable build), but please find a way of giving Octane 2018+ users a benefit if they have invested heavily in Standalone and / or Plugin-Licenses before and still want to be up-to-date with Octane.
Thank you
Nando

Goldorak wrote:
Lewis wrote:Thanks for info Jules,

Can you please answer this question also.

IF i buy subscription for 2019, 2020 and let's say you release 2 full Octane versions until then.

What happens if user decides he can't/won't upgrade for 2021, does he fall back to Octane v4 or can use last version he downloaded until his maintence/subscription lasted (in this example Octane 2020) ?

cheers

As it says in the FAQ if when you cancel, you go back to V4 and what you had before the update period(s) started. That doesn't mean we can't come up with some middle ground much further down the line that improves on this in 2021, but there isn't any plan for this at the moment.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Goldorak Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:17 pm
I hear you. I don’t want to eliminate anything that is this important to so many of you. We can figure this out. One option we are exploring is having the 3 year AA plan be rent to own, at least for standalone and purchased DCC licenses. Would that solve most of these concerns?
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:07 am

Goldorak Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:07 am
chrisfranklin6002 wrote:"Will future versions of Octane be supported in the free tier?"

"For 2018.1 and later, we may need to rethink the 2 GPU limit as a differentiation from the paid tiers . it is meaningless when two GPUs give you 800-1000 OB and 22 GB to 50 GB of combined VRAM:"

That's assuming that everyone's running 2080ti's!

Some people are still on 780tis - some people only have 1 card.

As Tom put - "if you can afford to spend thousands on equipment, what's an extra $45 a month?"

The 2 GPU subscription is for those people that don't have studios, are doing it for fun, are just out of uni. That's a bit mad.

It's the exact same price as a redshift annual license, which includes updates for 12 months, and support for rtx cards - and it's had Optix denoising in for the last god knows how long - just pointing that out, there's a lot of people sitting on the fence with the Octane/Redshift thing - this could be the tipping point.

RNDR Tokens seems like it's run by a totally different company....

Still love Octane though!

Where is there a free tier With a full commercial license from any other renderer to compare
to our free tier?

Regarding monthly subscriptions, based on user feedback we’re looking at limited max GPU for versions beyond V4, maybe just one for the intial rollout, but we are looking for more user feedback.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby eklein » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:10 am

eklein Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:10 am
I am hobbyist and I own some plugins and have no need for the 20+ plugins rental. I would like to continue updating the plugins that I am own. Can you have something similar to Redshift as far the maintenance upgrade price for the plugins that I own. If I stop I will be able to use version when my maintenance period ended.

It would be quite frustrating that if I stop in 2021. I would have to go back to the 2018 octane version 4. Since I would have a lot of new scenes that I would not be able to open back to octane version 4 because of the changes that happen in 3 years.

Eric
eklein
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements