Hello World: OctaneRender 4 is here

Forums: Hello World: OctaneRender 4 is here
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Hello World: OctaneRender 4 is here

Postby senolite » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:55 pm

senolite Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:55 pm
Hi Goldorak,

In reply to your update on information in the free tier, mentioning Blender is one of them and C4D is not.
I am a Modo user currently looking into my options to start using Octane as well but I'm holding off to see if the Modo plugin is going to be part of the free tier as well.
Would it be possible to share some info for the Modo app as well?
I have no issue buying in on Octane right now but I would hate to see Modo being part of the free tier shortly after my purchase.

Thanks
senolite
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kacperspala » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:21 am

kacperspala Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:21 am

For V4 permanent licenses, there will be no price change relative to V3 when you are buying Octane as a new user. There is no upgrade fee for current V3 users moving to V4.

Once V4 is stable we are going to add USB offline dongles on the shop page for accessing the new offline mode in V4, and these will also work with 3.08. Sometime after V4 stable is out, we plan on providing a new slave only build for 10GE networks that supports up to 200 GPUs, for customers with multi-node bundles.

For $20 monthly subscriptions, the V4 update will boost max GPU count to 20 at launch. We plan to follow this up ASAP with the in development aforementioned slave only build which will let you add a second node to get up to 20 GPUs. Also coming shortly after V4 stable is a new multi DCC license update that can let you use all V4 DCC plug-ins on top of the primary one you already choose with your monthly sub.

After the commercial releases above are out, we will then be releasing a new free subscription tier of V4 on 2 GPUs, limited to certain targeted plug-ins, starting with Blender and Unity, with more rolling out later. Since we get asked this a lot - we can confirm that C4D is not one of the plug-ins currently in consideration for the 2 GPU V4 free tier.

Beyond V4, future versions with NVLink (on 2080's too) and/or RT Core acceleration - these are currently planned for boxed licensed customers at the moment.

is boxed license the current non-subscription one?
ryzer 2700x
rtx 2080Ti
kacperspala
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby KeeWe » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:32 am

KeeWe Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:32 am
Goldorak wrote:
For V4 permanent licenses, there will be no price change relative to V3 when you are buying Octane as a new user. There is no upgrade fee for current V3 users moving to V4.

Once V4 is stable we are going to add USB offline dongles on the shop page for accessing the new offline mode in V4, and these will also work with 3.08. Sometime after V4 stable is out, we plan on providing a new slave only build for 10GE networks that supports up to 200 GPUs, for customers with multi-node bundles.

For $20 monthly subscriptions, the V4 update will boost max GPU count to 20 at launch. We plan to follow this up ASAP with the in development aforementioned slave only build which will let you add a second node to get up to 20 GPUs. Also coming shortly after V4 stable is a new multi DCC license update that can let you use all V4 DCC plug-ins on top of the primary one you already choose with your monthly sub.

After the commercial releases above are out, we will then be releasing a new free subscription tier of V4 on 2 GPUs, limited to certain targeted plug-ins, starting with Blender and Unity, with more rolling out later. Since we get asked this a lot - we can confirm that C4D is not one of the plug-ins currently in consideration for the 2 GPU V4 free tier.

Beyond V4, future versions with NVLink (on 2080's too) and/or RT Core acceleration - these are currently planned for boxed licensed customers at the moment.

Thx for the detailed info. So for my case (having GPUs in my network, owning a perpetual v3 license with c4d plugin) this means:

Once V4 is stable I can subscribe to the 20$ model to get up to 20 GPUs running as slave, is this right?
And this will be immediatley available as soon as v4 is stable?
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:02 am

Goldorak Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:02 am
senolite wrote:Hi Goldorak,

In reply to your update on information in the free tier, mentioning Blender is one of them and C4D is not.
I am a Modo user currently looking into my options to start using Octane as well but I'm holding off to see if the Modo plugin is going to be part of the free tier as well.
I have no issue buying in on Octane right now but I would hate to see Modo being part of the free tier shortly after my purchase.

Thanks

Modo is not being considered for the free tier. The V4 free tier is primarily intended to help certain DCC ecosystems like Blender and Unity which themselves are already free to begin with. We will work up from there once we get those out.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:10 am

Goldorak Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:10 am
KeeWe wrote:
Goldorak wrote:

Thx for the detailed info. So for my case (having GPUs in my network, owning a perpetual v3 license with c4d plugin) this means:

Once V4 is stable I can subscribe to the 20$ model to get up to 20 GPUs running as slave, is this right?
And this will be immediatley available as soon as v4 is stable?

I will have to double check, but if do you plan to get a $20 sub on top of your existing boxed licenses, then this sub in theory should support a standalone slave node that can be added to your current setup, on up to 20 GPUs (note that sub node can't go offline, as per sub limits) . At least that is the intent, but we will have to test it with the final release with mixed licenses to confirm for sure.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:13 am

Goldorak Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:13 am
kacperspala wrote:

is boxed license the current non-subscription one?

Yes.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby KeeWe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:38 am

KeeWe Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:38 am
I will have to double check, but if do you plan to get a $20 sub on top of your existing boxed licenses, then this sub in theory should support a standalone slave node that can be added to your current setup, on up to 20 GPUs (note that sub node can't go offline, as per sub limits) . At least that is the intent, but we will have to test it with the final release with mixed licenses to confirm for sure.

Hm, this sounds like I won't have the option to use my 2 render nodes with my local workstation right away once V4 is stable.

The feature that perpetual license holders can network render without an extra license has no ETA and the workaround with an extra sub hast to be tested. Thats kinda of a bummer since I have a big project coming up and actually relied on that info given months back.

Buying 2 more 300$ license is not vey economic...

Well, seems like I just have to wait and see.
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby senolite » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:44 pm

senolite Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:44 pm
Goldorak wrote:
senolite wrote:Hi Goldorak,

Thanks

Modo is not being considered for the free tier. The V4 free tier is primarily intended to help certain DCC ecosystems like Blender and Unity which themselves are already free to begin with. We will work up from there once we get those out.

Thanks for clearing that up, just bought the Modo plugin and standalone license!
senolite
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jonish » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Jonish Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:02 pm
Hi Goldorak,

Considering Rhino3D plugin will not be part of the free tier neither,
Does it mean there will be 3 options:

1) free standalone with importer only
2) $20 Rhino subscription
3) free standalone + $219 Rhino plugin?

I'm considering to switch from V-Ray - can Rhino users enjoy new updates to Octane at similar pace as others?

Thank you,
Jonas
Jonish

Postby bloomendale » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:08 am

bloomendale Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:08 am
Turns out i'm too stupid for Octane.
index page says Octane 4 is here. decided to give it a try - downloaded demo - ta-dam - v3. no v4 available.
Looked through the forum - v4 is still in dev (and you can try it only by paying money) So what's the point of this "Octane 4 is here" if you can't try it unless you're a customer already, but then you already know it. "Octane 5 is here" with "Supports RTX 3080 ti" in smaller font would be even better - you can't check it anyway.

Ok bought a subscription for houdini + octane to try that v4. ta-dam - still no v4 in downloads.. only v3.
Examined forums - found only houdini plugin + octane dlls, still don't know if i'm allowed to launch v4 standalone (can't find v4 installer though)
Decided to ask in forums - ta-daam - can't post in customer's part of the forum.

am i doing something wrong?

and i'm not talking about actual features - one of first attempts - simple sphere (specular) and plane (diffuse). forgot to move sphere up - accidentaly discovered there is no nested dielectrics in here - so if plane cuts your glass sphere in half it opens a black hole in refl/refr
But it's ok, i really like PT and PMC. can render plastic sphere instead.
bloomendale

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements