Hello World: OctaneRender 4 is here

Forums: Hello World: OctaneRender 4 is here
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Hello World: OctaneRender 4 is here

Postby korhydra » Sun May 20, 2018 8:00 pm

korhydra Sun May 20, 2018 8:00 pm
I downloaded OctaneRender_4_00_XB1_win.exe and installed it, entered my login details and got the error message: 'This build is not supported anymore. Please update to a newer version.' Is there some problem? It would be disappointing to return to V3. Thank you for any help you can provide!

EDIT: I see there may be a new version. I'd recommend linking it from the main post at the top of this thread, as this is where the main page points, and where people will go to download. :)
korhydra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sun May 20, 2018 8:28 pm

haze Sun May 20, 2018 8:28 pm
Letting everyone know: we are planning to release a new version today.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby MildMustard » Sun May 20, 2018 8:52 pm

MildMustard Sun May 20, 2018 8:52 pm
haze wrote:Letting everyone know: we are planning to release a new version today.

Thanks! Looking forward to testing it.
MildMustard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sbstnc » Sun May 20, 2018 11:46 pm

sbstnc Sun May 20, 2018 11:46 pm
People are using the C4D plugin 4BX2 and have for a couple of days, where did they get XB2 standalone from it you're only releasing it today/tomorrow?
Sorry, just confused here as a couple of mates have tried it and I can't find the download link anywhere for a standalone.
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby katmachiavelli » Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 am

katmachiavelli Mon May 21, 2018 12:09 am
paride4331 wrote:there is no ETA or release date about plugin or SA.

Then what is the point of having a thread called "Hello World: OctaneRender 4 is here" with a considerable amount of web marketing and Youtube videos about it? That's quite the bait-and-switch, now isn't it?

What the announcements should have said - but didn't - was that the Octane 4 CLOSED BETA is here. I mean, criminy, not even the thread title says this. That's a bit dishonest and click-baity on the marketing end, don't you think? Not the best way to treat your paying customers.

about student versions, as already mentioned, a free version will be released for everyone.
If an updated student version is not available now, it depends on Otoy's future planning.

The problem is, why hasn't it been updated in the past 4 years? If you're going to have an entire marketing post on the website surrounding how Octane would be available with a free student license (which OTOY did), at least keep the software up to date enough so that it doesn't go completely obsolete.

The problem isn't that there isn't a free, non-trial version available. The problem is that not long after the student version was released and marketed, 3DS Max updated and was no longer supporting what quickly became an obsolete plugin. This means for the better part of 4 years, the plugin wouldn't even work anymore if you tried to install it. This screws over teachers who want to use Octane in their curriculum because the software no longer works.

I honestly do not understand what the problem is; are you not satisfied that Otoy will make the best existing render engine GPU available for free?
[/quote][/quote]

That's not remotely what I said. I was asking about student licenses, which require a valid e-mail address from an accredited educational institution (such as @nyu.edu, for example), which only students of those institutions have access to.

Again, the problem is that the versions of the plugin released for student use won't even work with current versions of Maya and 3DS Max, so for teachers who want to build a 3D modeling and rendering curriculum using Octane, it's unusable. There is zero acceptable reason for why it wasn't updated even a little, or with certain limitations, in four years. As a company, it's something they should be on top of, but it seems like there's a lot they're behind on, based on remarks by other posters here...

As for "the best rendering engine," that's a bit of a longshot of a subjective statement, but your favoritism is duly noted.

Oh, and for what it's worth... the denoiser works fine on my single GTX1080TI, so an extra one isn't needed to benefit from the feature.
katmachiavelli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:31 am

paride4331 Mon May 21, 2018 8:31 am
@katmachiavelli
you did not pay for V4 you paid for V3, so I would not accuse someone who gives me V4 for free in beta and then stable.
If you own V3 license, when V4 is released, you will have an enterprise license for free.
When V4 will be released, will you post on all Render software house forums accusing them because they do not release their software for free?
3dsMax plugins have material converter to open scenes made with V1 and V2, you can find it in Render Setup > tool panel
Demo plugins can save scene and render, only size limitation; does this limit to learn Octane Render for student and teachers?
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Notiusweb » Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Notiusweb Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm
paride4331 wrote:When V4 will be released, will you post on all Render software house forums accusing them because they do not release their software for free?

YES!
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes.
This is EXACTLY what I am going to do.
100%, YES!

And by the way, this is going to be GREAT for OTOY, because we will then be marketing the product, and advertising it, on every other forum. So, this is actually a great thing we will be doing.
...Which is why we want to see the development furthered.
So, we can commence accusations!
For me, the sooner the denoiser gets faster, the sooner I can start accusing!
Release the Kraken!
:twisted:
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby katmachiavelli » Mon May 21, 2018 6:50 pm

katmachiavelli Mon May 21, 2018 6:50 pm
paride4331 wrote:@katmachiavelli
you did not pay for V4 you paid for V3, so I would not accuse someone who gives me V4 for free in beta and then stable.

I never said anything remotely related to this. What are you talking about?

If you own V3 license, when V4 is released, you will have an enterprise license for free.
When V4 will be released, will you post on all Render software house forums accusing them because they do not release their software for free?

I already mentioned in my last post that this isn't at all what I was saying. Clearly you didn't read what I wrote and are just making things up to go into fanboy mode.

No one is talking about a "free" version, other than my question about when v4 was supposed to have a public release, since the marketing has been misleading and makes it seem that way. My point was on educational licenses, which not everyone can obtain. It is exclusive to people who already pay hundreds of thousands of dollars per year for entry into a select group of accredited educational institutions and have a .edu e-mail address. I already said this, but clearly you are going into fanboy mode and this information is going in one ear and out the other...

3dsMax plugins have material converter to open scenes made with V1 and V2, you can find it in Render Setup > tool panel
Demo plugins can save scene and render, only size limitation; does this limit to learn Octane Render for student and teachers?

No, this doesn't work. 3DS Max won't even recognize Octane 1.20a, and hasn't done so since just a few months after the educational license was put out. It stopped working shortly after it was released but was neither updated nor taken off of the website for 4 years. No manner of plugin converter can make it work in current versions of 3DS Max. This is a fantasy of yours.

Why release an educational license and market it on the OTOY website, only for it to be completely non-functional mere months later, and not update it at all in the past 4 years? That's incredibly stupid, on principle.

Not to mention... weren't we supposed to receive v4 XB2 yesterday, which is why XB1's license stopped working?
katmachiavelli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Tue May 22, 2018 5:58 am

bepeg4d Tue May 22, 2018 5:58 am
Hi katmachiavelli,
please, if you want to talk about the discontinued Student licenses, (almost one year ago), visit this other discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58419
Standalone 4.00 XB2.1 has been just released:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=67492
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby cDB3NU9z » Tue May 22, 2018 1:16 pm

cDB3NU9z Tue May 22, 2018 1:16 pm
bepeg4d wrote:Standalone 4.00 XB2.1 has been just released:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=67492

I can't seem to be able to follow that link, unfortunately. I get the "not authorised" error message.
cDB3NU9z
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements