OTOY unveils X.IO App Streaming service

Forums: OTOY unveils X.IO App Streaming service
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

OTOY unveils X.IO App Streaming service

Postby win » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:27 am

win Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:27 am
OTOY unveils X.IO App Streaming service to effortlessly bring the most powerful workstation apps to every Internet-connected device

Powerful new virtualization service tuned for graphics-intensive applications makes multi-platform, device-agnostic apps a cinch, with support for popular cloud storage providers, printing and peripherals

SIGGRAPH 2014, VANCOUVER, Canada – August 12, 2014 – Cloud graphics pioneer, OTOY Inc., today announced X.IO App Streaming, a new application virtualization service that instantaneously ports Windows desktop applications to the cloud without needing to modify any code, enabling users to access them on any Internet-connected device, regardless of form factor or platform. Using technology OTOY gained from the AppSlingr acquisition earlier this year, X.IO was built from the ground up to handle the demanding nature of graphics-intensive applications, including image editing, CAD, and 3D modelling and rendering applications, making the editing of even the most complex files a breeze on low-performance devices, though the service is equally suitable for any Windows application.

With X.IO App Streaming, application developers and independent software vendors (ISVs) can realize the most from their development investments, saving millions of dollars in development costs and the need to retool development team skill sets while making their applications multi-platform and device agnostic through a white-labeled service. Users, be they employees or customers, gain one-click access to any application along with use of cloud storage including Dropbox, Box, Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive accounts, improving collaboration by making the sharing and editing of documents easier.

OTOY is demonstrating X.IO App Streaming this week at the annual international conference on computer graphics, SIGGRAPH 2014, in booth 1447 of the Vancouver Convention Center. The service is currently in beta with a launch planned for later this year. To sign up for the beta visit X.IO.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukeBq3aFdG4&[/youtube]

“The cloud has enabled a new wave of collaborative software that has transformed enterprises and startups alike through collective sharing and editing, but legacy applications, especially demanding workstation-class applications have largely been left behind until today,” said Jules Urbach, Founder and CEO, OTOY. “X.IO App Streaming gives developers an incredibly simple, cost-effective way to empower their employees and end customers, giving them access to workstation-class applications and performance and a full-function user experience from virtually any device with an Internet connection all without needing to change a thing in the development pipeline.”

The benefits of X.IO App Streaming

> Easily expand your reach – For smaller development teams or companies that have focused on only one platform, X.IO immediately makes you multi-platform. For large-scale subscription-based ISVs, X.IO affords you a quick and cost-effective means of easily introducing collaboration to your products, providing users with a one-click launcher into any given application for any file sharing and editing.

> Full-functionality from any device – Along with X.IO’s Cloud Storage Bridge that connects applications to popular cloud storage services, X.IO also supports printing and peripherals to ensure maximum productivity, and boasts out-of-the-box support for mobile, native desktop, and web access.

> High-quality, low-latency experience – Based on OTOY’s ORBX technology, X.IO app sessions provide an exceptional user experience with round-trip latency averaging less than 50 ms and bandwidth usage below 1 Mbps. Through our global network X.IO runs application sessions as close to users as possible, ensuring great performance and decreased latency all without any administration.

> Increased security – All X.IO connections are secured using the latest SSL technology, and OTOY’s data centers meet the strictest compliance standards, including PCI DSS Level 1 and ISO 27001. Additionally, dynamic session technology ensures data never stays on the servers after the session ends.

> Reduced setup and maintenance costs – X.IO is designed to be easy for both users and developers. The API enables complete control over the user experience, and integration libraries and support make it possible to integrate an application in an afternoon. Existing Windows apps continue to run as they always have without any changes. Concerns over registry corruption, different operating system versions, and having separate builds for 32-bit and 64-bit architectures are a thing of the past.

How X.IO App Streaming works

> For developers, OTOY provides APIs and SDKs that aid in the quick and easy integration of applications into X.IO’s service, with support for existing package formats such as App-V and a variety of options for how developers can package applications for employees or end customers. Once an application is setup, OTOY manages the rest, including distribution to the global network, scaling, and optimization.

> For users, launching an application hosted on X.IO is as simple as clicking a link or pasting a single line of code into a browser. Cloud resources are dynamically allocated, a virtual session is setup and secured, and a secure tunnel is created between the user, the session, and optionally their cloud storage accounts. Once the secure tunnel is established, the user can interact with the application just as if it was running on their local computer. X.IO sends the graphical output from the application, and relays the input signals from the user back to the session, ensuring the highest level of security since data is never on the user’s device. After the user closes the application, the tunnels are securely torn down and the virtual session is destroyed, removing all traces of any data that existed during the session and ensuring that data will never be left around for other users to access.

Additional Resources:

> Get more information about X.IO App Streaming and sign up for the beta here.

> Arrange a meeting with OTOY at SIGGRAPH 2014, August 12-14, booth 1447 in the Vancouver Convention Center by contacting us here.

> Read about OTOY’s acquisition of AppSlingr here.

> Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.

> Download the OTOY logo here.

— Adding an application to X.IO

— Administrative dashboard within X.IO

— User login to X.IO. X.IO is a white-labelled service so app developers and ISVs can brand the service as they see fit.

— OTOY’s OctaneRender software running via X.IO App Streaming

— Autodesk Revit running via X.IO App Streaming
win
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OTOY unveils X.IO App Streaming service

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:20 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:20 pm
Very exciting stuff! I am pretty jazzed about this...

But is this strictly Windows EXEs we are talking about?.. :?

What about hosting iPad apps that would then run on Androids and Windows? Mac apps that would run on Windows?...

And could this finally be the solution to getting WebGL to work on iPads?.. Can you guys host HTML5 WebGL apps and they would run anywhere and everywhere?

Please advise.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Icer5k » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Icer5k Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 pm
Currently, we're focused exclusively on Windows apps. We've thought about iPad, Android, Mac and Linux apps, but decided to build an excellent product around Windows first.

Having said that, the more demand there is for additional platform support, the higher on our priority list it becomes. Do you have a specific application you'd like to run on X.IO?

Also, regarding WebGL on iPads - yes, X.IO would allow that to happen, but it would be a much more heavy-handed approach than is ideal for mobile. iOS 8 includes WebGL support, so I'd recommend waiting for that release, at which point X.IO becomes unnecessary for those apps.
Icer5k
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:20 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:20 pm
Hey thanks! I actually had not seen yet that iOS8 was to support WebGL! I have barely poked my head out of the salt mines lately... I guess I should go bone up on iOS8 right now. ;)

Edit: Yippee!!

Hey, I just thought of something else (sorry if this is mentioned in the release - I am short on time): What kind of CPU horsepower is behind this?.. Could one expect workstation class performance?.. Like folks that want to run RealFlow in Maya etc?... Just curious. I am not one of those folks myself, but figure others might want this info.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Seekerfinder Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:07 pm
Great concept. But no power specs on offer?

Easily expand your reach - I like that.
Full-functionality from any device - Elephant in the room alert!
High-quality, low-latency experience - Great.
Increased security - I doubt that.
Reduced setup and maintenance costs - Yes please.

The elephant is the lack of any mention of the resources x.io will be allocating per instance / license / user. Promising "full functionality" is a bit broad. Reference to Revit and Octane with no mention of the CPU/GPU power on offer? I would have expected amount / spec of CPU / GPU cores options. Will there be the option of CPU / GPU on-demand, in-session flexibility? For Octane - how many GPU's? If it's too early for details, at least give us an idea of what will be on offer in principle.

Other questions:
1. The user would still need to upload any file they want to open to the x.io server through the 'pipe' that gets established (whether local storage or cloud storage), correct? I am currently working on a Revit model of 253MB. Linked models on larger projects are effective on a LAN. Would we need to upload all our latest liked project files (all 780MB of it and counting) though the pipe for every session? Augh. Why not offer a 'local' / x.io file hosting service while you're at it? Both project and app available 'instantly' from anywhere. Bliss.
2. I need to "upload my software". Really? Along with virtualizing the hardware, surely it makes sense for x.io to virtualize the software as well with users activating relevant apps with a valid license? No? Then we're getting WebGL streaming.

We need thunder. Not just cloud.

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Icer5k » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:22 pm

Icer5k Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:22 pm
We haven't released official specs yet because during the beta we're addressing performance on an application-by-application basis. However, every session currently get a single dedicated GPU (GRID K520), 8 CPU cores and 15GB of RAM.

The X.IO offering is aimed at the companies that create software (like Autodesk or Adobe), not at general end users. We may offer additional hardware resource configurations in the future, but for now we're focused on high-end workstation applications.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, the files would need to be uploaded somehow. We integrate with Dropbox, Box, Google Drive and OneDrive today, so if your files are already stored with one of those providers, you won't need to worry about anything. If not, you'd need to go through the process of uploading the files once, after which they'd be stored in the cloud and wouldn't have to be uploaded again. Most developers we've talked to are thinking about offering both your files and their app from the cloud, effectively making the app and project available anywhere as you said.

2. X.IO isn't a solution aimed at end-users, it's a white label service for developers. It's the software developers job to upload their software and give their users access to it using whatever means they feel is appropriate. What that means for you is that you'll only need to login to the developers website to immediately start using their software. Unfortunately, that also means you'll need to wait on the developer to upload their application to X.IO.

Let me know if you have any further questions, or feel free to email [email protected] if you'd prefer to talk offline.
Icer5k
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby riggles » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:50 pm

riggles Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:50 pm
So I'm guessing X.IO is the future of Octane Cloud Edition? Will it be possible for desktop apps to interact with an X.IO app streaming in my browser? Say I'm running the MODO app with Octane plugin, will I be able to send jobs directly from my app to Octane Cloud Edition and view its progress in my browser?

That kind of thing would be important. One, because not all DCC app developers are gonna jump on the app streaming bandwagon. Also, a big turnoff to rendering in Amazon EC2 is the time involved in requesting and setting up render instances. Taking care of that back end will make much much more accessible.
riggles
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gabrielefx » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 am

gabrielefx Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 am
estimated price?

minimum bandwidth?
quad Titan Kepler 6GB + quad Titan X Pascal 12GB + quad GTX1080 8GB + dual GTX1080Ti 11GB
gabrielefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:37 am

Seekerfinder Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:37 am
Icer5k wrote:We haven't released official specs yet because during the beta we're addressing performance on an application-by-application basis. However, every session currently get a single dedicated GPU (GRID K520), 8 CPU cores and 15GB of RAM.

The X.IO offering is aimed at the companies that create software (like Autodesk or Adobe), not at general end users. We may offer additional hardware resource configurations in the future, but for now we're focused on high-end workstation applications.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, the files would need to be uploaded somehow. We integrate with Dropbox, Box, Google Drive and OneDrive today, so if your files are already stored with one of those providers, you won't need to worry about anything. If not, you'd need to go through the process of uploading the files once, after which they'd be stored in the cloud and wouldn't have to be uploaded again. Most developers we've talked to are thinking about offering both your files and their app from the cloud, effectively making the app and project available anywhere as you said.

2. X.IO isn't a solution aimed at end-users, it's a white label service for developers. It's the software developers job to upload their software and give their users access to it using whatever means they feel is appropriate. What that means for you is that you'll only need to login to the developers website to immediately start using their software. Unfortunately, that also means you'll need to wait on the developer to upload their application to X.IO.

Let me know if you have any further questions, or feel free to email [email protected] if you'd prefer to talk offline.

Icer5k,
Thanks for clarifying. It was not completely clear that the service was for developers only...

Looking forward to seeing it in action. Any interest from the big boys as yet?

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to News & Announcements