NEW: You asked, we delivered: OTOY releases OctaneRender™ 2 with a dozen new features by community request

Forums: NEW: You asked, we delivered: OTOY releases OctaneRender™ 2 with a dozen new features by community request
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: You asked, we delivered: OTOY releases OctaneRender™ 2 with a dozen new features by community request

Postby MattRM » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:30 pm

MattRM Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:30 pm
Hi,

I notice something in Octane 2.0 and Octane 1.5 (Blender plugins) for the portal shader. In the two cases, in Octane 2.0 or Octane 1.5, the portal shader do nothing :shock: . I've checked my portal had is normal vector was from environment to interior, using simple plane.

In attachment, pictures using portal or not, the difference between in Octane 2.0 and Blender plugins + a screenshot from Guerilla Render where portal on and off is really show.

Is it possible to have gather angle like 0% to 100% (gather angle from parallel ray to 180 hemispherical gathered ray to output ray from parallel normal) to gather more rays from the outside to the inside ?

The test was done with 500 sp/pixel and used path tracing.

THE DEBUG OCTANE 2.0 part :
Also, I found strange for the suzanna head (monkey in blender), using displacement, more displace puts (not more detail just the strength), slowest is the interactive viewport... and more than 1 to the displace crash the nvidia driver (saw picture in attachment too). Why ?

For myself, I found Octane 2.0 very good, the little lost of speed vs the new features is good. Just wait the new Blender plugins to do fur :D (and hope a real fix for the fucking building texture bug ;) )

Thanks,

Matt

BLENDER_PORTAL_OCTANE-1.5.png

OCTANE RENDER 2.0 PORTAL.png

GUERILLA PORTAL.PNG

DISPLACE_ALL_THE_TIME_ERROR.PNG
MattRM
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: new features by community request

Postby alien » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:47 pm

alien Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:47 pm
aLeXXtoR wrote:
alien wrote:But people invest time in a product as well & have to keep up with time / technology.
If that is the case V2 is slower then V1.5 then price should be decreased not increased.
THE WHOLE POINT OF OCTANCE RENDER WAS SPEED.

Man, truly they owe you nothing — it was our choice (yours, mine, all others) to invest our time and money to this product. We're not stockholders, OTOY investors etc. We're just buying it as is (and hope that it will get better — and it gets for me). Or we not. That simple. Peace. :)

I agree they otoy owe me nothing But logically they are producing octane for customers like us. If we have concerns, we should let them know & they should try to address them. For example Autodesk Flame was amazing piece of software but now even with huge price cuts they are struggling to get new customers as most of them switch to nuke. So I personally think customers are more important then stockholders :D
alien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: NEW: You asked, we delivered: OTOY releases OctaneRender™ 2 with a dozen new features by community request

Postby alien » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:53 pm

alien Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:53 pm
Seekerfinder wrote:
alien wrote:If that is the case V2 is slower then V1.5 then price should be decreased not increased.

Perhaps you're not aware that Octane is one of the most reasonably priced renderers out there - still.

Seeker

I am fully aware of that fact. because I am planning to buy it. I have to choose between Redshift 3 (500$) or Octane+C4D (621$) ... Octane have benefit of having C4D plugin But Redshift plugins for DCC will be free.
alien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby daveyt » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:12 pm

daveyt Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:12 pm
So been trying to use hair and fur in v 2.0 but I'm guessing it
does not work yet as I cannot find any information on how to do this,
can a developer shed any light on this,

I'm using blender and have the plugin,

regards
gtx 580 3gb gtx 660ti 3gb win 7 blender 2.65
daveyt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kavorka » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:03 pm

kavorka Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:03 pm
daveyt wrote:So been trying to use hair and fur in v 2.0 but I'm guessing it

regards

The integrated plugin doesnt use 2.0 yet, so you have to wait. Also, I don't think you can use the alembic export yet to get it to standalone because I don't think the current alembic exporter exports that data. I don't know though.
It seems to be one of those features that exists, but you can't really use yet.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby grimm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:44 pm

grimm Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:44 pm
Yep, the Blender plugin users need to wait a bit for the 2.0 enabled plugin, I'm looking forward to it as well. :) Jimstar said that he is working on the Maya plugin right now and will direct his attention to Blender after it's done. He did say as well that the Maya plugin should not take very long.
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby daveyt » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:20 pm

daveyt Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:20 pm
kavorka wrote:
daveyt wrote:So been trying to use hair and fur in v 2.0 but I'm guessing it

regards

The integrated plugin doesnt use 2.0 yet, so you have to wait. Also, I don't think you can use the alembic export yet to get it to standalone because I don't think the current alembic exporter exports that data. I don't know though.
It seems to be one of those features that exists, but you can't really use yet.

Thanks for the information, Wish this was made more clear!!
gtx 580 3gb gtx 660ti 3gb win 7 blender 2.65
daveyt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:02 pm

abstrax Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:02 pm
To everybody who tried out the demo version and was disappointed by the speed: One thing I totally forgot is that in the demo version by default the "use priority" option is enabled for all GPUs and I think the render priority default is set to "low".

-> Make sure that you either disable the "use priority" option in the CUDA device settings or set the render priority to "high".

This will probably not make up all speed loss, but improve things. I also would like to note that we found one problem in the geometry compilation, which we are currently trying to fix. We found this problem with a scene Dom74 sent to us. -> If you have some scenes with dramatic speed losses, please send them to us. There is a chance that there are more issues hiding.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

NEW: OTOY OctaneRender 2: Thanks!

Postby prehabitat » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:18 am

prehabitat Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:18 am
abstrax wrote:To everybody who tried out the demo version and was disappointed by the speed: One thing I totally forgot is that in the demo version by default the "use priority" option is enabled for all GPUs and I think the render priority default is set to "low".

-> Make sure that you either disable the "use priority" option in the CUDA device settings or set the render priority to "high".

This will probably not make up all speed loss, but improve things. I also would like to note that we found one problem in the geometry compilation, which we are currently trying to fix. We found this problem with a scene Dom74 sent to us. -> If you have some scenes with dramatic speed losses, please send them to us. There is a chance that there are more issues hiding.

Thanks for your continual efforts Octane Team - there's a lot of appreciation for your work! :D
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Reality4 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:24 am

Reality4 Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:24 am
Dear Otoy, now that a lot of people are talking about speed, I was wondering if you have more feedback on when we will be able to use the Cloud Edition?

Goldorak mentioned that it will (later on) be part of the 2.0 version (http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29544&start=100#p177383).

Maybe there's a small speed decrease of 15% here and there, but with the Cloud Edition as demonstrated in one of your video sessions huge speed increases are to be expected. Which would be impossible I guess with renderers as corona or the likes (1 minute vs 90 minutes).

Btw, I have bought an additional nvidia card to celebrate your 2.0, so for me this version actually has an overall speed increase of about 33%! #differentperspective
Reality4
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements