OctaneRender 2.0 for SketchUp

Forums: OctaneRender 2.0 for SketchUp
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender 2.0 for SketchUp

Postby fuzzybro » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:53 pm

fuzzybro Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:53 pm
smicha wrote:Fuzyybro,
Finally so good news. Many thanks for your work.

I am worried just about one thing. I have GTX Titan - will I be able to address 6GB of vram? I found in the manual

"EXPANDING THE LIMITS.

Sketchup is a 32-bit application which implies a ~1.5GB limit on the assets. This also means that if you have a GPU rig with 4-6GB of VRAM, it can’t be fully loaded. Octane for Sketchup introduces robust instancing and proxy systems to save and reuse as much data as possible. Complex scenes with bunch of geometry such as tree forests are no longer a hassle. Use simple geometry representation in Sketchup to get better response from Sketchup without loosing quality of a final image with high-poly proxies."

Will we have to wait for 64bit Sketchup to overcome this limit?

Hi smicha,

I've done my best to optimize memory consumption but yes, at this point you won't be able to utilize 6GB of vram because of SketchUp memory limit. I have a 64 bit version of a plugin on a roadmap so it is just a matter of time.

Fuzzy
fuzzybro
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby glimpse » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:13 pm

glimpse Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:13 pm
hi, Fuzzy.

is it possible to export scene from SketchUp so it could be opened in Standalone? =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:51 pm

smicha Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:51 pm
glimpse wrote:hi, Fuzzy.

is it possible to export scene from SketchUp so it could be opened in Standalone? =)

Glimpse,

You can use obj exporter and other plugins like TIG and mine
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38735
and here for instancing
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22581

But if you are asking if the new sketchup plugin can create/export something like .ocs or .orbx that can be opened in standalone - this would be fantastic!
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:02 pm

glimpse Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:02 pm
smicha wrote:But if you are asking if the new sketchup plugin can create/export something like .ocs or .orbx that can be opened in standalone - this would be fantastic!

That was what I had in mind =) I've tried doing this type of thing from 3dsmax (some scenes worked some not, anyway..not the point here). If SU couldn't handle some scene, but would allow exportin =) the problem would be solved as once You've reached the limmit simply jump into StandAlone (that personally I preffer to use) & finish what has been started elswhere(but I'm not sure if SU have this, that's why I'm asking =).
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fuzzybro » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:03 pm

fuzzybro Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Yes indeed. But it will be exported preserving Sketchup component mapping, i.e. not as a single mesh but as a groups of objects.
If you want to export SU scene as a single mesh you'll have to explode all the geometry to a single mesh and export it to .ocs.
Export is very fast
Attachments
export_to_ocs.png
export_to_ocs.png (26.36 KiB) Viewed 28574 times
fuzzybro
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby glimpse » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 pm

glimpse Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 pm
fuzzybro wrote:Yes indeed. But it will be exported preserving Sketchup component mapping, i.e. not as a single mesh but as a groups of objects.
If you want to export SU scene as a single mesh you'll have to explode all the geometry to a single mesh and export it to .ocs.
Export is very fast

thanks, Fuzzy.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby resmas » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:42 am

resmas Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:42 am
fuzzybro wrote:

Yes indeed. But it will be exported preserving Sketchup component mapping, i.e. not as a single mesh but as a groups of objects.
Export is very fast

This option its really great. You just need to be careful for now.

In SU if you need to export as .OCS just hit export and you are done, but you will have a many many many...nodes because of the way Octane handles the geometry that comes from SU(inside the pluggin)

So you can use the Bomb.rb to explode all before export.
http://www.smustard.com/script/Bomb

Be carefull with some things:

- if you have hidden geometry it explodes too. The best way is to use layers.
- If you are using proxys and scattered components put them on separated layer too and export it after. or they will explode.

Octane 4 SU uses components as scatter so if you have 1 component x 100 places , octane only loads 1 and scatter the rest :D ....don't explode it...or you will lose this.

The SU 32bits limitation is a pain...but fuzzy made a really great job optimizing the way geometry is imported to Octane (inside SU limitation), so this is the rice to pay for the 32bits problem, for now we just need to export all before we save as .OCS... For now its ok by me ;)

I know he will with is magical powers get this explode feuture inside the "save as .ocs" option....something like "exploe and save
as .ocs"
thing :twisted:

Here is a example of the optimizations

A big 3D project with more then 20 buidings, all modeled inside SU, and exported/grouped/scattered one by one to Octane StandAlone.

The project is all in StandAlone, and is almost 2700000 triangles, a lot of scatter to trees, some buildings, and cars.

2.600.000 triangles
300mb inside gpus ;)
200 meshes

Without the tress and cars it has
850.000 triangles
200mb
180 meshes

Now the same project exported from the plugin :D :D

stats

150.000 triangles (5 times less) ;)
75 mb (3 times less) ;)
28.000 meshes - ok for me

Its really great, the way it is exporting saves a lot of memory :D

Thank Fuzzy for an amazing work.

cheers

resmas
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
https://pt-pt.facebook.com/arq.resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby resmas » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:45 am

resmas Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:45 am
Displacement inside SktechUp...a dream come true :D

8-)

cheers
resmas
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Seekerfinder Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:54 pm
resmas wrote:Displacement inside SktechUp...a dream come true :D

8-)

cheers
resmas

That is brilliant! But I have real difficulties with rounded corners together with displacement. Have you had any success with that combination Resmas? It seems to me that corners need some real love when it comes to displacement. I mean programming love (on standalone side most likely) - that has not happened yet.

Regards,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby resmas » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:15 pm

resmas Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:15 pm
Hello seeker, yes RoundEdges are tricky...I still didn't need them in any work so I'm a bit off in that.
Displacement in hard corners is hard to tweak too, but its the same in any software...the uvmapping and texturing is a art...that I still need to learn a lot...for now I manage to get it as I want, but most of the times I turn it off, and only enable the displacement to final render as it slows workflow a lot.

But its amazing....we finally can do some grass :lol:

I will test the displacement and RoundEdges together to see how it goes.

cheers
resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements