NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing the science of CG rendering

Forums: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing the science of CG rendering
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing thescience of CG rendering

Postby geo_n » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:36 am

geo_n Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:36 am
sampakinpa wrote:Hello,
In a computer network with 30 GPU's, what would be faster to render an animation sequence? Render a frame per gpu (a compueter's GPU array per frame, the `old way`) or using all 30 gpu's per frame with the new network render feature?

Probably faster to render 1 node per frame. I haven't really tried to render by vray spawner a sequence and don't know if its possible or even modo rendering swarm mode.
The typical 1 node per frame has the advantage of not resending scenes to nodes over and over again. It sends the data once then the render node uses that data to render per frame. Not sure in spawn/swarm mode if its possible since its almost live streaming to render a single frame.
geo_n
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing thescience of CG rendering

Postby chafouin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:12 pm

chafouin Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:12 pm
I looked at all the posts about the 2.0, so there was supposed to be a beta accessible in mid-April, I guess this has been postponed?
How can we access the beta, will there be a preorder for Octane 2.0? I'd like to test it and certainly buy it after that, but I'm not very keen on buying the 1.50 and then pay again for the upgrade.

Thanks!
chafouin

Postby RobSteady » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:34 am

RobSteady Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:34 am
Any news about the april release?
Octane for 3ds Max v2.21.1 | i7-5930K | 32GB | 1 x GTX Titan Z + 2 x GTX 980 Ti
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 am

matej Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:36 am
RobSteady wrote:Any news about the april release?

April release will be in May 8-)

(But it's ok. Better to polish it, than release it early and buggy)
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gonzohot » Thu May 01, 2014 1:17 pm

gonzohot Thu May 01, 2014 1:17 pm
matej wrote:
RobSteady wrote:Any news about the april release?

April release will be in May 8-)

(But it's ok. Better to polish it, than release it early and buggy)

And May release will be in june, and june release will be in july... and the update cost will not be 99 but 129 instead... and... and... BLA BLA BLA

I'm very angry about all that! :evil:

Tired of all that fake announcements of Otoy, tired of missing functionality that were promised for 1.5 and you have to pay for it in v2.0...
Always the same song here: octane 28.0 will be awesome with bilions of new features and is gonna be released day before yesterday... Are you kidding me ?
Stop telling fairy tales and get back to work: how can it be possible to make so much annoucements and never being in time. If you guys canno't achieve the job in the deadline that YOU gave then just stop speaking...

That is just NOT profissional and that's a reason why Octane don't convice most of profissional users (and i'm one of them, assuming that the only tries to use it profissionaly were unsuccesfull because of the lack of basic functionnalitys like include/exclude lights for example ! ).
And now i stop barking because i have REAL clients expecting for some work to be delivered at the ANNOUNCED date... end of my comment

:evil: :evil: :evil:
gonzohot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RobSteady » Thu May 01, 2014 4:54 pm

RobSteady Thu May 01, 2014 4:54 pm
gonzohot wrote:If you guys canno't achieve the job in the deadline that YOU gave then just stop speaking...

Simple as that.
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cakeller98 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:07 pm

cakeller98 Thu May 01, 2014 5:07 pm
RobSteady wrote:
gonzohot wrote:If you guys canno't achieve the job in the deadline that YOU gave then just stop speaking...

Simple as that.

While I don't share quite the same level of misgivings as stated in the previous post. I do believe a lot more transparency on efforts and such would go a long way in keeping people excited rather than angry.

An update thread for loyal customers to know... from such and such a date when we announced releasing, we have about 50% more work to go. 40% more work to go... etc. Oops, major issue came up due to external factors.. reset 30% back to about ... 40%. Doin' our best to get this to you guys as soon as possible (but stable!!)

keeps otoy accountable to a schedule, but also allows them to be flexible in delivery schedule without being percieved as stupid for prematurely announcing release dates, or even hinting at etc.

keeping quiet breeds mistrust and malcontent and drives a wedge making a lot of users feel like otoy feels as if they are not part of their community of users, and the users are just a source of future income for them.

If instead the users felt like otoy actually was super excited to share this piece of artwork they've been slaving over, I'm sure they would receive way more love - because, lets face it - who doesn't want to get excited about new features, but no one would be happy if Christmas was delayed... again and again. sorry child, I know you were hoping Christmas would be Dec 25th, and couldn't wait, but... yup, we're going to move it to mid-jan... oh, but we're also not going to tell you, you'll just wake up, no presents, no tree, cookies and milk warm and spoiled in front of the fireplace.... (replace whatever your own "holiday" example you prefer (birthday?) hahah...

it's the worst that they announced, but haven't actually been clear about updating their progress. I don't care if it's late, if they were up-front about the delays and a moving deadline....

Can you imagine if we working folks silently missed a deadline? we'd be FIRED or never hired again. People can react rationally to delays if given a reason. No reason? no understanding... and frustration, and negativity.

It'll get done when it gets done? - lame.
We're 50% closer than we were when we announced? - ok, I can project from that.... but keep me updated weekly on your progress. the further past-due you are, the more info on progress needs to be shared. Yep, Otoy Might get flack from impatient folks who don't understand that development is not a fixed target. But seriously, even REASONABLE people have trouble with unknowns.
As of 2019-02-12
- Dell Precision 7710 w/Xeon E3-1535M v5 2.9GHz
- Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit (SP 1)
- 32 GB System Memory
- nVidia Quadro M5000M (Driver Ver 416.78)
- Standalone 4.0, 4.01.1, 4.02
- Maya 2018, 2019
Modo 12
Sketchup 2018, 2019
cakeller98
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RobSteady » Thu May 01, 2014 5:24 pm

RobSteady Thu May 01, 2014 5:24 pm
Exactly my thoughts...
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu May 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Goldorak Thu May 01, 2014 7:08 pm
The public release of 2.0 is in summer. That was in the official announcement at GTC. The upgrade pricing is 99 eu.

We have dozens of members on this forum that signed an NDA and have been testing the first 2.0 release candidate Marcus promised in mid April. They can't tell you about that because they are NDA,

Hope that clears things up.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby xxdanbrowne » Thu May 01, 2014 7:39 pm

xxdanbrowne Thu May 01, 2014 7:39 pm
OK Cool. So how do you get to be a beta tester for the release candidates?
xxdanbrowne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements