NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing the science of CG rendering

Forums: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing the science of CG rendering
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing thescience of CG rendering

Postby abstrax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:58 am

abstrax Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:58 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
I guess it's what you would call "raster displacement", i.e. the placement is not done per vertex, but at a specific resolution in UV space (which is user specified).

Sorry I will try to be more specific, can it do this? (look at the mushroom image)
http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d ... ment-maps/

No, you can't do this.

It's a special primitive, which requires less memory and renders better and faster than cylinders made out of triangles. Octane doesn't create the hair itself the same way like it doesn't create any geometry. Octane can load hair from Alembic files though or get it from the plugins.

But does it reads curves/splines or do I still need to convert them to polygons before exporting it from my application?

It will read the curves from the Alembic file as hair. If the thickness is stored in the file hat thickness is used, otherwise some fallback thickness is applied that is read from the import preferences.

If a GPU on a slave doesn't have enough memory it will fail. The same way like a local GPU would fail.

Ok, got it.
But will the slaves require an Octane license on each machine?

Licensing is still to be determined.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing thescience of CG rendering

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 am

Seekerfinder Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 am
abstrax wrote:
Seekerfinder wrote:Wow!

Is there a rough timeframe for the release date?

Thanks,
Seeker

We are aiming for a first release in April.

In theory, there is no difference between a first release and a release candidate (with possibly only one of the promised features). In practice, there is.
Berry Yoga

So please clarify Marcus, are we talking first release candidate, or first release. And (to avoid any confusion) would first release have all the features - i.e. is it a first release of version 2 that you are aiming to release in April?

Also, when will pricing be revealed?

Can't wait!

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:03 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:03 am
abstrax wrote:It will read the curves from the Alembic file as hair. If the thickness is stored in the file hat thickness is used, otherwise some fallback thickness is applied that is read from the import preferences.

Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gonzohot » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 am

gonzohot Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 am
Well, if all the presented features are really present in V2.0 then you can count on me to upgrade !

About hair & Fur you're talking about plugin compability in a post: does this mean we are going to be able to use ornatrix and/or hairfarm as source for rendering the hair with octane ?

Anyway i'm very excited and can't wait for the first release...
gonzohot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15 am

Goldorak Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
I guess it's what you would call "raster displacement", i.e. the placement is not done per vertex, but at a specific resolution in UV space (which is user specified).

Sorry I will try to be more specific, can it do this? (look at the mushroom image)
http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d ... ment-maps/

It's a special primitive, which requires less memory and renders better and faster than cylinders made out of triangles. Octane doesn't create the hair itself the same way like it doesn't create any geometry. Octane can load hair from Alembic files though or get it from the plugins.

But does it reads curves/splines or do I still need to convert them to polygons before exporting it from my application?

If a GPU on a slave doesn't have enough memory it will fail. The same way like a local GPU would fail.

Ok, got it.
But will the slaves require an Octane license on each machine?

Yes - you must have an activation license of some kind for a second machine. There may be options cheaper than a full SE purchase, which could come out once 2.0 SE is out of RC testing. This is touched on briefly in the GTC presentation (waiting on NVIDIA to post that).
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby neo83_gr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:21 am

neo83_gr Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:21 am
Congratulations! Looks like a dream!
neo83_gr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linvanchene » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:52 am

linvanchene Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:52 am
edited and removed by user
Last edited by linvanchene on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kavorka » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:20 pm

kavorka Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:20 pm
Is there any news on the Octane Cloud?
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RealityFox » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:45 pm

RealityFox Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:45 pm
I already stated my excitement on the other thread, but I'm super looking forward to this. It's going to be so freaking awesome.

That being said though, the pricing is still being finalized for the update so I have two questions:

Will I need to buy an additional update for my plugin? I'm using the blender one at the moment.

Will there be any 1.7 (and such) releases before 2 where I may test some of these features?

That's about it! Thanks for your time and you guys are amazing magicians. Can't wait to see what future releases will be like.
RealityFox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PAQUITO » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:19 pm

PAQUITO Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:19 pm
I´ve just crapped my pants. Period.
AMD FX8350 8 cores. 16GBs RAM
GTX690
Win8 64.
PAQUITO
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements