NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing the science of CG rendering

Forums: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing the science of CG rendering
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing thescience of CG rendering

Postby JimStar » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:38 am

JimStar Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:38 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:will CTR+Z be implemented?

Working on it.;)
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing thescience of CG rendering

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:49 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:49 am
JimStar wrote:

Working on it.;)

Great!!! :o
... and, how about my other questions? 8-)
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0

Postby glimpse » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:57 am

glimpse Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:57 am
Bendbox wrote:This is GREAT news! I don't think I'll be able to wipe the smile off my face for quite a while!

agree on that!!! Really looking' forward to hands on all of those features =) & it's hard to argue, that this is probably one of the biggest steps Octane made (addition of proxies was cool, but this..)

Congrats once more & thanks for all the work You've been putting into making these things to happen =)

Cheers
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:59 am

stratified Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:59 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
JimStar wrote:

Working on it.;)

Great!!! :o
... and, how about my other questions? 8-)

I can only answer the network render question, it will use the lowest common denominator. In other words, your scene needs to fit into the GPU(s) of the network render slave for the slave to participate.

I guess the other devs will answer the rest.

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 am
stratified wrote:I can only answer the network render question, it will use the lowest common denominator. In other words, your scene needs to fit into the GPU(s) of the network render slave for the slave to participate.

I guess the other devs will answer the rest.

cheers,
Thomas

Ok, I was expecting that ;)
Will the slaves require an Octane license on each machine?

other devs, please answer! I'm frantically pressing F5 on my keyboard!
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby S4ch4Z » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:31 am

S4ch4Z Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:31 am
Well, this update sounds great! Except I bought both standalone and max plugin licenses 3 days ago...
Can you folks tell us more about the update program conditions?
S4ch4Z
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:32 am

abstrax Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:32 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:Displacement mapping
Is it Raster displacement or Vector displacement?

I guess it's what you would call "raster displacement", i.e. the placement is not done per vertex, but at a specific resolution in UV space (which is user specified).

Hair and fur
Is it a proprietary system that must be created inside Octane, or can I import my hair curves from Maya/Max?
Is it compatible with Alembic animation?

It's a special primitive, which requires less memory and renders better and faster than cylinders made out of triangles. Octane doesn't create the hair itself the same way like it doesn't create any geometry. Octane can load hair from Alembic files though or get it from the plugins.

Network rendering
How is the memory handled from the network? For example, I have a bunch of PCs, all with different cards, some with 1.5GB, some with 2GB, some with 4GB, is the memory gonna be picked up from the card with lowest memory?
Will the slaves require an Octane license on each machine?

If a GPU on a slave doesn't have enough memory it will fail. The same way like a local GPU would fail.

OpenSubDiv
Is this gonna be available for Alembic file as well?

Alembic supports the storage of sub-division surface base meshes and I think weights. We don't support it yet, but we plan to do so.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:43 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:43 am
I guess it's what you would call "raster displacement", i.e. the placement is not done per vertex, but at a specific resolution in UV space (which is user specified).

Sorry I will try to be more specific, can it do this? (look at the mushroom image)
http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d ... ment-maps/

It's a special primitive, which requires less memory and renders better and faster than cylinders made out of triangles. Octane doesn't create the hair itself the same way like it doesn't create any geometry. Octane can load hair from Alembic files though or get it from the plugins.

But does it reads curves/splines or do I still need to convert them to polygons before exporting it from my application?

If a GPU on a slave doesn't have enough memory it will fail. The same way like a local GPU would fail.

Ok, got it.
But will the slaves require an Octane license on each machine?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby darkline » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 am

darkline Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 am
Sounds great. Well done on getting most of the features people wanted to see.

Hoping the 3DSMax plugin is updated with all of the features for standalone :-) (including importing a custom background image)

So much good stuff here.

I'm guessing the answer to this would be no - but is there a way to feature OpenSubDiv within 3dsmax or would that work in standalone only? It looks much better than using max's in-built meshsmooth process.

Finally does displacment take up exactly the same amount of GPU memory as if you had loaded that level of detail geometry, or are there any optimisations?

Looking forward to seeing the AE plugin.

thanks again, great update!
Windows 7 64bit/ Intel 3930K/ ASUS Rampage IV/ GTX980ti x 2/ 64GB system RAM
darkline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gordonrobb » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 am

gordonrobb Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:But does it reads curves/splines or do I still need to convert them to polygons before exporting it from my application?

would be good if it read curves/splines and 'created' more hair strands to follow them.
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements