NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing the science of CG rendering

Forums: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing the science of CG rendering
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing thescience of CG rendering

Postby BorisGoreta » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:00 pm

BorisGoreta Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:00 pm
Just to clarify, deformable object motion blur will not be available right now but it is planned by the end of the year.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: NEW: OTOY previews OctaneRender™ version 2.0, further advancing thescience of CG rendering

Postby Faizol » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Faizol Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 pm
Nice progress, but Octane needs a few more features like object deformation motion blur, AOVs, volumetric/participating media, out of core or some kind of memory management to handle large scenes to compete with other renderers that are already established in a production environment.

I would suggest for Octane developers to target one or two features that are not yet done by other gpu-based renderers like volumetric/participating media. Since Alembic was successfully implemented, Octane can step up to support OpenVDB for volumetric and that would help to tremendously speeding up the volumetric rendering process. If this is done right, Octane can be used as a dedicated volumetric renderer at least until all other features are implemented properly.
Last edited by Faizol on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora 17 | 16 GB RAM | Quadro 4000 | driver = nvidia 304.xx & CUDA 4.0
Faizol
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby riggles » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:02 pm

riggles Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:02 pm
Faizol wrote:Nice progress, but Octane needs a few more features like object deformation motion blur, AOVs, volumetric/participating media, out of core or some kind of memory management to handle large scenes to fight with other renderers that are already established in a production environment.

You should watch the GTC presentation that was linked to a few posts up, you might like what you see. Most notably: object deformation blur, AOVs, and out-of-core textures are all planned for this year in Octane 2. Pretty cool.
riggles
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby riggles » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 pm

riggles Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 pm
This really is going to be a big year for Octane it seems. Lots of great additions.

I saw in the GTC video a super-quick list that included GPU procedurals via LUA. Could someone provide a bit more info on that? WIll OTOY not be adding more procedurals to Octane? Will we have to learn LUA scripting to add and edit new procedurals in the future? How will this work?
riggles
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby teddyboy16 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:27 pm

teddyboy16 Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:27 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:Just to clarify, deformable object motion blur will not be available right now but it is planned by the end of the year.

According to the GTC presentation, it's planned for by the end of the year. Did you watch the presentation linked to a few posts up? :)
teddyboy16
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:33 pm

BorisGoreta Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:33 pm
Well that is exactly what I said in my post, available by the end of the year.

There was a post previously which stated that it will be available now so I just wanted to clarify this for any forum member who reads it.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kavorka » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:33 pm

kavorka Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:33 pm
I believe they said that they want to start putting out test builds in April.

The full release would be later in the year.

At least this is how I interpreted everything.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 pm

stratified Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 pm
kavorka wrote:I believe they said that they want to start putting out test builds in April.

The full release would be later in the year.

At least this is how I interpreted everything.

Features like render passes (AOVs), deformation motion blur, ... will be part of the 2.x releases which will be available to the licensed 2.0 customers. We will churn out 2.0 with the features that are already anounced (displacement, hair, MB, region render, rounded edges, ...) in a fully fledged 2.0 release.

Of course it's not because we (almost) have ticked all the boxes to make Octane fully production ready that we stop developing features. The future is bright for Octane.

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Seekerfinder » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Seekerfinder Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:52 pm
stratified wrote:We will churn out 2.0 with the features that are already anounced (displacement, hair, MB, region render, rounded edges, ...) in a fully fledged 2.0 release.

Hi Thomas,
Is this the release that will see the light this month? I.e. the 'complete' version 2.0 release. There is some confusion on the timeframe / features of the 'first' 2.0 release.

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby erwinr » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:55 pm

erwinr Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:55 pm
wuah, congrats !!! for coming out with 2.0, the one feature that stood out for me is the displacement!!

I remember asking about displacement last year and the answer was almost impossible to do because of the GPU nature...

what has changed since then ?

great job guys!, I am looking forwards to the updates, and playing with the new version

-erwin
erwinr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements