NEW: OTOY’s acclaimed OctaneRender™ software now free for students

Forums: NEW: OTOY’s acclaimed OctaneRender™ software now free for students
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

NEW: OTOY’s acclaimed OctaneRender™ software now free for students

Postby FooZe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 pm

FooZe Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 pm
Technology used by the world’s best professional artists, animators,
and designers now available at no cost to emerging talents

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – March 5, 2014 – Cloud graphics pioneer, OTOY Inc., today announced that its renowned 3D rendering software, OctaneRender™, along with OctaneRender™ plugins for Blender™ and Autodesk’s 3ds MAX® and shortly, Maya®, are now free for students. The move puts the same cutting-edge software that’s used by hundreds of thousands of professional artists, animators, and designers, in the hands of today’s up-and-coming talents at no cost if purchased using a .edu email address.

Widely recognized for its unmatched rendering quality and speed, and supporting more than a dozen popular 3D modeling programs, OctaneRender™ is used by artists working for and with the top visual effects studios in Hollywood and around the world to create digital characters and environments that look every bit as authentic as real life. Notable features of OctaneRender™ include:

• Perfect simulations of reality through unbiased rendering: OctaneRender™ simulates light as it actually is: an electromagnetic wave. Unlike competing rendering solutions that sacrifice scene accuracy to speed up rendering time, OctaneRender™ is based on the physics of light, capturing all light interactions in the scene and simulating them exactly as they would be in reality to produce the most precise representations of real life possible.

• Unrivaled performance through parallel processing: OctaneRender™ was built from the ground up to harness the highly parallel horsepower of modern graphics processors or GPUs, rather than serial computer processors or CPUs. The result is dramatically faster render times than competing solutions. OctaneRender™ produces final images 10 to 50 times faster than comparable CPU-based rendering engines, letting artists spend more time on crafting their image and less time waiting for results.

• Unflinching flexibility with results in real-time: OctaneRender™ provides a true WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) rendering environment that shows artists changes to materials and lighting in real-time, unlike competing solutions that force artists to switch back and forth between modeling views and renders. OctaneRender™ supports some of the most advanced material and lighting simulations possible to more accurately reflect the way light interacts with objects in the real world. Regardless of the complexity of the scene, changes are instantly updated on screen, delivering an intuitive workflow that can be quickly understood by novices and professionals alike.

• Work how you want, where you want with broad program support: OctaneRender™ plugins support a wide variety of leading 3D modeling suites, letting artists work in their program of choice. Supported software includes GRAPHISOFT®’s ArchiCAD, Blender™, Daz 3D’s DAZ Studio, NewTek’s LightWave™, SmithMicro Software’s Poser®, Robert McNeel & Associates’ Rhinocerus® (or Rhino), The Foundry’s MODO®, Maxon’s CINEMA 4D, and a host of Autodesk software including 3ds MAX®, AutoCAD®, Inventor®, Maya®, Revit®, and Softimage®, and forthcoming support for Daz 3D’s Carrara and Trimble’s SketchUp. Additionally, community-developed exporter scripts for a wide range of programs extend functionality of OctaneRender™ even further. Plugins for Blender™ and Autodesk’s 3ds MAX® are the first to be available to students at no cost, with free plugin support for Autodesk’s Maya® coming soon.
“I had the great fortune of being able to learn and experiment with 3D graphics in my youth, but having access to the latest and greatest tools was always a challenge,” said Jules Urbach, Founder and CEO, OTOY. “OctaneRender represents the pinnacle of rendering software today, validated by the incredible number of users we have including some of the world’s best CG artists and animators. We’re proud to give students the chance to learn and grow using the same technology that the industry’s top talent uses, fueling their passions, and helping them bring their creative visions to life.”

Students can download OctaneRender™ for free now at http://render.otoy.com/shop/.

About OTOY Inc.

OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY’s Academy Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers, architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new economies in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit www.otoy.com.

Additional Resources:

Get more information about OctaneRender™ on the OTOY website here.
Review OTOY’s Series D funding announcement here.
Read more about OTOY’s advisory board here.
Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
Download the OTOY logo here.
Get more images rendered using OTOY software here.
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

rmit.edu.au

Postby r2ll2r » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:42 pm

r2ll2r Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:42 pm
Thanks Fooze!

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with 3DS Max! I'll be sure I mention this to the relevant people at RMIT too.

Quick question before I do: our email addresses are <username>@student.rmit.edu.au, however this is (EDIT) now accepted by the verification system. !! :)

The institute is Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology; they are a well known institution, and authorised Autodesk training centre (amongst other things).
If required I can have one of the staff contact you to confirm any details you may require (their email will be <staffmember>@rmit.edu.au)

Thanks again!
Win7: Xeon E3 3.4g 8gb Quatro 600
r2ll2r

Re: NEW: OTOY’s acclaimed OctaneRender™ software now free for students

Postby anubis312 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:46 am

anubis312 Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:46 am
Is this already available? When I click on the download link there is only option to buy, no free option for students. Thanks.
anubis312

Postby Goldorak » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:24 am

Goldorak Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:24 am
Is this already available? When I click on the download link there is only option to buy, no free option for students. Thanks.

Yes. It is live - and you will get a light blue color to your name when you sign in a as a student on these forums.

But - you need a student email address - i.e. ending in .edu or .edu.au. We plan to add more domains as we validate incoming requests. However, in your case, it appears that you have logged in from your personal email account. That won't be recognized by the student license server.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby tegatwork » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:36 am

tegatwork Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:36 am
It's a great news for students. Bravo !

However, my students, here in France, havn't got any .edu email adress. Is there a way they can send copy of their student ID Card, or something like that?

Are you planning to run C4D plugin for students too?

Thanks in advance

Keep up the good work !
tegatwork
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:16 am

glimpse Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:16 am
That's a great iniciative to spread adoption of Octane Render =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jzs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:24 pm

jzs Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:24 pm
Wow, great news! But I have the same issue as tagatwork's students, I study architecture at a university, but my official school e-mail adress is not .edu. It would be great if there would be a solution for those without the proper e-mail adress. Can't wait to get my hands on the blender plugin. Anyway the whole thing is a really good idea, thumbs up!

Zsolt
jzs

Postby JLBohm » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:16 pm

JLBohm Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:16 pm
Hi, I would also appreciate another option. I study at University of West Bohemia and my mail is @students.zcu.cz
Thanks
JLBohm

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:40 am

FrankPooleFloating Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:40 am
I'm afraid I have to strongly disagree that this is a good idea. Student discount, yes. Free, no. Even deeply discounted would be great. Making this completely free is an invitation for any d-bag or his dumbass kid brother (or anyone that can get their hands on a .edu, which can't be that hard if you know people) to come and sully Octane - especially the forums... I can just see it now...

Not long ago I was thinking about suggesting that you to set up a kiddie pool of sorts, in the event that you should start selling Octane on Steam etc.... Now I really, really think you should do this. Working pros need to be able post crap in forums and not get lost in a sea of "what are UV maps?"..."hows come my polys ain't showin?"...
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ViRiX_Dreamcore » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:59 am

ViRiX_Dreamcore Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:59 am
Nice! I have one question though. Is it possible to purchase one of the other plugins (C4D) with the student version or do we need the paid version for that?

Thanks.
ViRiX_Dreamcore

Next

Return to News & Announcements