NEW : Preview of OctaneRender 1.5

Forums: NEW : Preview of OctaneRender 1.5
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW : Preview of OctaneRender 1.5 Alembic file support

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:16 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:16 pm
RayTracey wrote:
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Wow RT!!.. very cool! :lol:

Will there be an animation render target that will save out sequence frames (png, exr etc)?

Thanks! The new scripting feature that is also coming in Octane 1.5 will allow you to render and save image sequences and specify every parameter per frame of the animation such as the amount of samples per pixel, sun position, DOF, post processing fx, white balance, ... You could also render for example only each 3rd frame for fast previews. With scripting the possibilities are virtually endless, it's very powerful.

Hey, someone proficient in Lua should start crackin' (at least start putting some thought into - and lay foundation) on an Object Replacement Script & a Material Replacement Script - both with the ability to save out renders... I mean, really, how effing wonderful would it be to be able to set up Standalone to render dozens of different products (whatever) and in dozens of different colors/textures (like a car scene in a hundred different colors).. and have it ALL be automated!! This would be enormous for those who do multiple version renders of things. Yes, more of us are using remotes and could control stuff from the beach on vacation and what not... but not having to touch or think about tons of automated renders would be... incredible. And having the ability in Material Replacement Script to paste in (comma-separated) hex colors (for those car renders) would be insane.

Maybe scripting is going to be the only way to get some of the features we want. Maybe Octane team is counting on some industrious self-starters with spare time to make many of the features we want or need, so we will leave them the hell alone...

Do we know the full extent to which things can be done/added to Octane through scripting?.. Or will we not know until after release?
Last edited by FrankPooleFloating on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thenomad » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:30 pm

thenomad Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:30 pm
I am looking forward to this SO much...

Am I right in thinking, looking at the render speeds there, that exporting an appropriately-prepared scene to Alembic and then rendering it in standalone Octane will be significantly faster than rendering a scene using the Octane plugins right now?

Also, you mention animated model functionality isn't in "yet" - will it be in 1.5 when released?
thenomad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RayTracey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:50 pm

RayTracey Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:50 pm
MattRM wrote:Just Awsome !!!!

Think models will be animate with the same technologie ?

Just Greats !!!

Yes, that's the plan.

dionysiusmarquis wrote:Is this the same Motion Blur technique used in the plugin versions? Seems different, as the plugin sub frame approach isn't visible in live view so far.

It's real camera motion blur, it basically samples the scene over the entire time interval of one frame instead of taking discrete snapshots. Some of the Octane plugins feature subframe motion blur, which divides a frame in several subframes and blends them together. The benefit of this method is that it yields physically accurate, unbiased motion blur for every element in the scene (including rotating wheels, deformable meshes, lights, transparency, DOF), but the downside is that there can be some banding artifacts with an insufficient number of subframes.

thenomad wrote:I am looking forward to this SO much...

Am I right in thinking, looking at the render speeds there, that exporting an appropriately-prepared scene to Alembic and then rendering it in standalone Octane will be significantly faster than rendering a scene using the Octane plugins right now?

The rendering speed of the plugins should be exactly the same as in the standalone. The Alembic format just provides a way to efficiently store animated data, it doesn't affect the rendering performance. It will also allow you to export an animation from a plugin and send it off to the cloud without the need to have the host app running in the cloud.

Also, you mention animated model functionality isn't in "yet" - will it be in 1.5 when released?

Yes, the final 1.5 version will have this functionality.
RayTracey
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gabrielefx » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:41 am

gabrielefx Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:41 am
impressive...
if I have Octane standalone + Max plugin can I render the same Max scene in the standalone without Max?

in few words: can I render several different scenes having only the Octane standalone licenses?

let's say I have 1 Max and ten Octane standalone licenses.

regards
quad Titan Kepler 6GB + quad Titan X Pascal 12GB + quad GTX1080 8GB + dual GTX1080Ti 11GB
gabrielefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:15 am

face Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:15 am
The SDK will have the capability to export an animation as alembic and the materials in an Octane-file.
If the plugins will use it, is another question...

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby glimpse » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:55 pm

glimpse Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:55 pm
face wrote:... If the plugins will use it, is another question...

face

why not, Face? Is it hard to impliment?

Anyway, this scene movement from modeling/host app to SA would be very useful!
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby GMassaferro » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:48 pm

GMassaferro Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:48 pm
Para cuando estará disponible?, es una actualización ?... o hay que comprar una nueva licencia ?
GMassaferro
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby merid888 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:35 pm

merid888 Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:35 pm
impressive new features, i would like see more
W11 x64 Bits Workstation, 32 Gb 3200 Mghz DDR4 Corsair, Asus X570 Plus Wifi, Ryzen 9 5950x 3.4 Ghz, M2 WD Black-SN850x 1 Tb, Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM, 1 RTX A4000 16 GB, 1 Power Supply Corsair RM850x.
merid888
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

NEW : Preview of OctaneRender 1.5 Per object visibility

Postby RayTracey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:47 am

RayTracey Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:47 am
Howdy folks!

OctaneRender 1.5 is coming soon and in this post we want to delve a bit deeper into the per object visibility feature. OctaneRender 1.5 will allow you to define three types of primary visibility for an object: general, camera and shadow visibility. Each triangle, object or group of triangles/objects can have an ID, which can come from a plugin or from an OBJ file. By connecting the object IDs of a mesh node with an object layer map node you can then assign an object layer node to the objects which you want to control. With this feature, objects can e.g. be made invisible for the camera, while retaining their shadow and/or reflection so you only see the indirect effects. You can also make it cast no direct shadows and you can set its overall opacity, which can be useful for fade-in and fade-out effects. This is shown in the following screenshots and video:

Full visibility
vistest1.png
vistest2.png

No camera visibility (only shadows and reflections)
vistest3.png

Full visibility
vistest4.png

No camera visibility (only shadows and reflections)
vistest5.png

Shadow casting off
vistest6.png

More previews coming up soon.

Cheers!

the OctaneRender team
RayTracey
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: NEW : Preview of OctaneRender 1.5 Per object visibility

Postby Seekerfinder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:27 am

Seekerfinder Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:27 am
That's great, thanks Sam.
I hope the plugin's keep up!
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements