OTOY announces advisory board

Forums: OTOY announces advisory board
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW : OTOY announces advisory board

Postby gabrielefx » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:50 am

gabrielefx Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:50 am
visionmaster2 wrote:i think it's a great news !

yes, there is not enought update, but a lot of good news this week.

the cloud is comming and will be powerfull, and all those big business men will giving us the oportunity to spend our money with their great toys.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/11/0 ... n-the-web/

yes we need displacement, motion blur etc...and be sure they will sell it to us.

But the game is bigger than that now.

sorry for my terrible english

impressive technology!
But...how upload my 500MB Max scene?
In theory Max should run on Autodesk servers, my files stay on Microsoft Sky Cloud and Otoy render farms wired connected to the Autodesk servers.
All this stuff available in 2020. Micro displacement one year later.
quad Titan Kepler 6GB + quad Titan X Pascal 12GB + quad GTX1080 8GB + dual GTX1080Ti 11GB
gabrielefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 am

glimpse Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 am
gabrielefx wrote:...how upload my 500MB Max scene?

You get full desktop with ability to install software, yeah? so..get Dropbox or smth like that =) install it on Your PC & remote machine, drop a file in that directory & they stay synchronized.. where's the problem? =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mbetke » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:04 am

mbetke Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:04 am
Bandwidth is the problem Tom. I have an upload of 35kb/sec. :(

As I already wrote several times Octane is just a side product for viz. Now they need to earn money with it (their cloud). It seems all resources are focused on this cloud thingie and not neccesary on 1.5.
PURE3D Visualisierungen
Sys: Intel Core i9-12900K, 128GB RAM, 2x 4090 RTX, Windows 11 Pro x64, 3ds Max 2024.2
mbetke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:29 am

glimpse Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:29 am
mbetke wrote:Bandwidth is the problem Tom.

from time to time I get happy in my country, at least internet here is not that bad in comparison to the rest in EU (by official statistics) & what I considering being slow conections is actually about ~6mbps down & ~4mbps up..

mbetke wrote:As I already wrote several times Octane is just a side product for viz. Now they need to earn money with it (their cloud). It seems all resources are focused on this cloud thingie and not neccesary on 1.5.

..but Octane is already in a lead (sort of). Yeah, they can do things..agree on that, but..

really like what MOSFET brought a page before

MOSFET wrote:Very few artists are also good entrepreneurs: An advisory board of big tech names helps Otoy bring in capital from investors. Capital helps to cover development costs. Better funding for development hopefully improves their products (Octane and Brigade). What looks like a frivolous expenditure is really a move to secure funding for the company and improve its position through high level contacts.

I don't understand why so much of skepticism is in this forum - that doesn't help to move things forward. A bit of sad,..

Maybe all they (OTOY) need to invest a bit more time is making relationships with this community a bit more open.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 am

matej Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 am
Big names are good for politics and this is surely a good strategic move. But a move in which direction?

I bet none of these gentlemen have a 3D CG portfolio made with Octane. So in the end Otoy will still have to listen to mere end-users, if they want to make Octane really big. Only users can give really useful feedback on features, usability, workflow...

Octane is still lacking some pretty fundamental things and I'm not thinking only about big features like MB, but small stuff that makes the daily work of the artist less painful. After all this time I still cant map image textures in any other space than UV, or use more pixel blending modes than just mix & mul. Heck, Cycles which is FOSS and started being developed later than Octane, now has a plethora of very useful (texturing / shading / compositing pipeline) features that run on the GPU. In the end the artist (and the customer) is not interested if the final image is 100% physically correct. "Physically fake" that looks photo-realistic, is just as good.

Refractve Software was a mess of a company, but they listened to the user base. And the user-base is who made Octane strong in those years when RS was always in some trouble. It was us who helped promoting, learning & teaching, feedbacking... because we saw the potential of Octane. Now, after all these years, this potential is kinda diluted & being surpassed by the competition.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Proupin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Proupin Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 pm
They just don't listen! They haven't realized the quality of this community. I have never seen anything like this forum, and it's VERY under-estimated. Some remarkable users such as GK and KilaD just disappeared, probably embarassed to what they were seeing. I stopped caring to report a long time ago, I know how useless that usually is. RS didn't listen hard enough either.
Win 7 64bits / Intel i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz / Geforce GTX 470 / 8GB Ram / 3DS Max 2012 64bits
http://proupinworks.blogspot.com/
Proupin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby suvakas » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:13 pm

suvakas Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:13 pm
It has been told several times already, that they are workin on 1.5 and that the engine needs to be improved big time in order to be ready for motion blur and alembic and all this new stuff.
You're used to get monthly updates (or so..), but a proper re-write takes a lot longer than most of you seem to understand. Have some common sense please. I'm sure we will see more frequent updates again when they're done with 1.5.

I appreciate the info this topic is about.

Suv
suvakas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:17 pm

FrankPooleFloating Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:17 pm
Suv, you are right. All of it. But, obviously, some here can't understand why many of us are so unhappy with the priorities at Otoy - and the speed at which features are coming. Maybe it is only me and handful of other guys here that are so desperate for visibility that we would crawl across broken glass to get it... And for some of you, everything is all puppy dogs and rainbows - because you have the luxury of not needing anything beyond what Octane already gives (or don't work in a professional capacity =) and don't find yourself severely handicapped with what you can produce - or need to resort to shenanigans to make shit happen in your Octane workflow. But believe me, there are some of us here that even after calming down and chilling with a cup of joe, can take everything into careful consideration, and still say that they are pissed - that so much has happened at Otoy of late - that has absolutely nothing to do with our work as artists and the tools we use day in and day out.

I want my visibility features before I get my first social security check. Despite RT telling me my wishes would "very soon come true" (3 months ago) I have not seen anything that shows me that I might not be waiting another 6 months or longer before I get it. Very soon is a relative term.. but come on. Maybe a couple screen shots of some features (that are coming "very soon" - and wouldn't give competitors any secrets) are seriously in order. Who wouldn't love to see a couple screen shots of visibility options in action?

EDIT: Since update announcement, I am no longer unhappy/pissed... and feel like a gigantic ass - for being such a spaz about the RC that is now clearly coming within weeks... :oops: But we still could have used more/better info waaay earlier than we got it...
Last edited by FrankPooleFloating on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Goldorak Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm
Suv is correct - and I believe it was me that made that announcement. 1.5 is a major reworking of the core of OR. We knew it would take a while, and it did (a few months more than expected in fact). We're close enough now to the end, and we're hoping to get the first RC out this month. That being said, if we run into any issues that push this out, we'll, be sure let you know.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby pixelrush » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:44 pm

pixelrush Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:44 pm
You have until Xmas ;)
i7-3820 @4.3Ghz | 24gb | Win7pro-64
GTS 250 display + 2 x GTX 780 cuda| driver 331.65
Octane v1.55
pixelrush
Licensed Customer