OctaneRender for Blender released!

Forums: OctaneRender for Blender released!
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW : OctaneRender for Blender released!

Postby JimStar » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:00 pm

JimStar Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:00 pm
chulaluk wrote:I apologize if this has already been asked, but I could not find any mention of it in this thread.

First off, thank you SO MUCH for offering this. I am really excited and have loved using it so far.

However, I'm finding the rendering is slower than the stand alone version. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems true for all kernels. It seems like it should at least be the same speed, but not slower.

It is the payment for interactivity. The more often Blender asks the engine for new image - the more often the renderbuffer is locked and the engine can't work with it during image getting by Blender...
I will add the setting later which will let to tune this image-ask-interval. But the more you will make it - the less interactivity you will get. For F12 render it does not matter though...
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby megacal » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:16 pm

megacal Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:16 pm
OctaneRender for Blender rendered the same scene 3.6X faster than StandAlone (with yoyoz's plugin 1.19)(see post in Current thread).

Maybe it depends on the lighting features or material properties being used? I haven't done
enough comparison runs yet, but in this case, OR4B smoked the Blender 2.68/1.19 plugin/StandAlone combo.

I'll go back an see if I get the same results with other scenes. ;)
2 GPUs: Zotac GTX 580 1.5gb Amp! GPU for Octane....Galaxy 210 1gb for display
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955,3.2 ghz RAM: 8gb OS: Win7 64
megacal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby chulaluk » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:20 pm

chulaluk Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:20 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. It was in the F12 render I noticed the slowdown.

I'll do some specific testing and report back my results along with the scene file if I find significant differences.

Thanks again and awesome work. I was so excited when I saw this was out.
chulaluk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:48 am

JimStar Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:48 am
chulaluk wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. It was in the F12 render I noticed the slowdown.

I'll do some specific testing and report back my results along with the scene file if I find significant differences.

Thanks again and awesome work. I was so excited when I saw this was out.

It seems that you are just doing something wrong, as I wrote in previous post only about the difference in render-speed itself (the samples per second value), not about the overall time of loading the scene into Octane engine. The overall speed is a way faster than using the export into standalone, as megacal wrote, if the scene is properly tuned.
It seems that you are saying about the overall loading time, not about the rendering speed. And overall loading may take significantly more time if your scene is not properly tuned. The key thing in understanding this - is describen HERE IN MANUAL. It is about setting your meshes as "global" or "scatter".
So, if you are trying to load some big scene with couple of meshes all of which are set to "global" type - you may significantly increase the scene loading time. As all the meshes will be collapsed on the fly to one big global mesh.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Particles are integrated, but what are the limitations so fa

Postby marcobaccioli » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:07 am

marcobaccioli Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:07 am
Hi and please forgive me if the question has already an answer in the forum (though I couldn't find it).. I am about to buy the Blender/Octane package, but before doing so I need to know if hair rendering is supported.. I have read a JimStar answer about this request and he says "Particles are supported, but not Cycles hair system".. What would really make a difference to me is to know that hair can be textured, "inheriting" texture info from the "emitter" object.. (this makes fur creation much easier and more accurate than trying to give colors to particles)..
So, as far as I know, hair and particles are integrated, but what are the limitations so far?

Thanks
Marco
Windows 7 64 bit | Geforrce 460 GTX | Intel Core i7 | 16 GB | Blender 2.5 | 3DS MAX Design2013 | Octane 1.50
http://artdesignstudio.dunked.com
@marcoartdesign
marcobaccioli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby carbon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:40 am

carbon Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:40 am
Hi, any news about Mac version?
Thanks
c.
OSX10.6, GTX260(896MB), QuadCore@3GHz, 8GB RAM || Ubuntu10.04, 8400(display),GTX460(2GB), QuadCore@3GHz, 4GB RAM
carbon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby marcobaccioli » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:33 am

marcobaccioli Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:33 am
I bought the Blender plugin. Works very well, but maybe I should have waited a little longer for an answer to my hair&fur question, because now that I have the plug in I realize that hair doesn't work.. Not yet at least :( :(
Windows 7 64 bit | Geforrce 460 GTX | Intel Core i7 | 16 GB | Blender 2.5 | 3DS MAX Design2013 | Octane 1.50
@marcoartdesign
marcobaccioli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby megacal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:30 pm

megacal Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:30 pm
I bought the Blender plugin. Works very well, but maybe I should have waited a little longer...
You did the right thing.....it will get better & better, but will cost more later. ;)

Too bad there isn't a demo, but am glad I got it when I did...I'm just that much
farther ahead on the learning curve, and having fun with it. :)

Now if I could only figure out how to do SSS... :roll:
2 GPUs: Zotac GTX 580 1.5gb Amp! GPU for Octane....Galaxy 210 1gb for display
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955,3.2 ghz RAM: 8gb OS: Win7 64
megacal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby marcobaccioli » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:20 am

marcobaccioli Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:20 am
You are right Megacal, it will get better & better :)
@marcoartdesign
marcobaccioli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RealityFox » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:03 pm

RealityFox Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:03 pm
How long is this open beta going to be available for (estimation)? I'm unsure if I can really spend any money at the moment :/ - 120 isn't so bad I guess but would rather get it while it's 99 >.<
RealityFox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements