Mozilla and OTOY partner on ORBX.js for HTML5 video

Forums: Mozilla and OTOY partner on ORBX.js for HTML5 video
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: Mozilla and OTOY partner on ORBX.js for HTML5 video

Postby bepeg4d » Sat May 04, 2013 9:21 pm

bepeg4d Sat May 04, 2013 9:21 pm
OTOY’s cloud application hosting software enables CPU and GPU draw commands to be virtualized on a server and then remotely rendered inside a standard HTML5 Web page using the ORBX.js library.

:o unbelievable, the future is now :o
:D
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby pixelrush » Sat May 04, 2013 9:29 pm

pixelrush Sat May 04, 2013 9:29 pm
OK then some general questions.
1. What speed internet connection is required to view 1080p? and to run Octane cloud edition, which is I guess uses the same tech? In regard of the advent of this new codec is there also a new Octane format coming to make the upload of scene data more efficient? Does this tech need a full Java install?
2.Are Autodesk a silent partner, remote parent or otherwise involved in Otoy? This was denied by @radiance some time ago but I am wondering again...
3.You hope/expect to displace entrenched H264 use and that ORBX will be adopted as the std cloud/streaming video format? Everyone will need to convert their 'old ' H264 content? Camcorders makers etc will adopt this? How good is the image quality in comparison?
4.Isn't there a danger of creating a mega monopoly here for some in-first company or as was mentioned enable 'rent-seeking'.
Personally I find this centralised model and the speed it is progressing to be somewhat disturbing given that in many cases it doesn't offer any advantage except to those running the server farms and to those making tablets/smart phones/etc. Is this the 'next big thing ' for companies with no particular place to go with fairly mature products or stagnating sales as in PC? or something many people if they stopped and thought about it might consider really not necessary? I do realise there are legitimate benefits to being able to access multiple cpu/gpu as a service however.
5.Whereabouts does Octane stand in your priorities? I am sure this is taking up your company's time/resources and Octane development has really become rather slow lately - I am not referring to the ongoing work to provide more plugins but to the actual rendering capability itself and the implementation of any community suggested improvements.
i7-3820 @4.3Ghz | 24gb | Win7pro-64
GTS 250 display + 2 x GTX 780 cuda| driver 331.65
Octane v1.55
pixelrush
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Sun May 05, 2013 2:17 pm

FrankPooleFloating Sun May 05, 2013 2:17 pm
I did not have time to go through everything in its entirety.. but this looks pretty cool.
And the JS programmer in me likes what he sees. Although, the 3D artist in me definitely
wonders about pixelrush's #5... what I really care about are getting compositing (visibility)
features in Octane. I hope that resources are not being taken away from the team that
would be making that happen.

Also, I would be very, very interested if this tech could be used to allow full WebGL on iPads...
anyone know?
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Sun May 05, 2013 7:39 pm

glimpse Sun May 05, 2013 7:39 pm
interesting to say a least! though somehow I believe it will not be available for mases but rather for big companies only..'cos of steep price tag for renting a service like that..so the future might be here..for some.. /sorry for the sad thoughts/

cheers
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon May 06, 2013 6:08 am

bepeg4d Mon May 06, 2013 6:08 am
glimpse wrote:interesting to say a least! though somehow I believe it will not be available for mases but rather for big companies only..'cos of steep price tag for renting a service like that..so the future might be here..for some.. /sorry for the sad thoughts/

cheers

for now, but what about the near future?
the selling of desktop pc is going down year by year.
the evolution of desktop cpu has drastically slowed down.
nvidia has no competitors in cuda gpu.
if gamers will play at full quality on a smart tv or a tablet, who will buy nvidia cards in the future (exept us)?
since 2011 i have got two gtx 590 for 1200€ with great satisfaction, but now if i want to cut the render time by half, i need to pay more than 4000€ for four titans :shock:
how many hours of render i will get from the cloud for that price?
we will see, but i suspect that having a workstation could be something extremely expensive in few years :roll:
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby gabrielefx » Mon May 06, 2013 7:08 am

gabrielefx Mon May 06, 2013 7:08 am
great, I always used Firefox.
quad Titan Kepler 6GB + quad Titan X Pascal 12GB + quad GTX1080 8GB + dual GTX1080Ti 11GB
gabrielefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby snake12 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:31 am

snake12 Fri May 10, 2013 5:31 am
Hi, I want to Know when is the service "Cloud"is avaible
Cosmos II, Asrock 79 extreme 11, Intel i7-3930K 4.40 GHz, 32gb Ram Quad 2.400 OC., 2 Drives Intel SSd 520 240gb Raid 0, 1 Gtx 580 3 gb + 3 Gtx 590 4Gb.
snake12
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mainframefx » Mon May 13, 2013 4:09 pm

mainframefx Mon May 13, 2013 4:09 pm
glimpse wrote:interesting to say a least! though somehow I believe it will not be available for mases but rather for big companies only..'cos of steep price tag for renting a service like that..so the future might be here..for some.. /sorry for the sad thoughts/

cheers

This is a Javascript based video codec, every site/individual can use this. There is not costs assoicated with this, its free and open source. How did you come to that conclusion?!
Its an amazing step, if we can just deliver codec support with just Javascript we dont have to care about plattform/browser support of a specific codec anymore. This is really great news.
Also I highly doubt that it eats any ressources from the Octane team, this is Javascript and not CUDA C(++) you also need a completely diffrent know-how to develop a video codec than developing a GPU based raytracer.
i7-3930K@4,8GHz | 64GB RAM | 2x GTX 560 Ti 448 | Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7-3930K@4,2GHz | 32GB RAM | 1x GTX 560 Ti 448 | Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7-2600K@4,4GHz | 16GB RAM | 1x GTX 560 Ti 448| 1x Quadro 2000D | Windows 7 x64 SP1
mainframefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pluMmet » Sun May 19, 2013 9:41 pm

pluMmet Sun May 19, 2013 9:41 pm
My question is can a small studio have 6 machines running in a room somewhere with whichever licenses that are on those machines and pass out work to whoever wherever with private logins for each computer session?

Silly example: Can I rent out the use of my licenses while I sleep?

If the answer is no then why not?
Hot computer in a cold room
pluMmet

Next

Return to News & Announcements