Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Forums: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Postby emendix » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:04 pm

emendix Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:04 pm
Hello?

Anybody here? This is quite confusing... is this available now?? And what exactly is the difference between Octane Cloud and Brigade? There is a nice website for Brigade but without any info at all.

Is this a dead project or something (i did not read the whole 10 pages of this thread, just the first 2 and last 2)? I mean... it's a year after the announcement...
I'm confused about:
-) Difference between Octane Cloud (Workstation) vs. Brigade
-) Available? Only in US? Beta??
-) How to use this service?
-) Why is it hard to get answers to these questions?


Best regards,
Manuel
emendix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:20 am

Re: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:08 am

Rikk The Gaijin Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:08 am
emendix wrote:Hello?

Anybody here? This is quite confusing... is this available now?? And what exactly is the difference between Octane Cloud and Brigade? There is a nice website for Brigade but without any info at all.

Is this a dead project or something (i did not read the whole 10 pages of this thread, just the first 2 and last 2)? I mean... it's a year after the announcement...
I'm confused about:
-) Difference between Octane Cloud (Workstation) vs. Brigade
-) Available? Only in US? Beta??
-) How to use this service?
-) Why is it hard to get answers to these questions?


Best regards,
Manuel

- Octane is an offline render, Brigade is a real-time ray-tracer aimed for games.
- The cloud service is currently being tested in US, the service is not yet publicly released.
- I think there are a couple of tutorial somewhere, but at the moment is quite complicated and not very user-friendly.
- It seems the devs are a bit shy regarding this, maybe Otoy doesn't want to spread false infos until the service is ready? I dunno, just guessing here.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:28 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Postby emendix » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:12 am

emendix Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:12 am
Thank you very much for that info :)
What's strange to me is that the announcement was one year ago and since then no general info like status updates or something or a "hey, we're still testing this" comment.

Hope this will be released soon :)
emendix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:20 am

Re: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Postby Goldorak » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:57 pm

Goldorak Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:57 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
emendix wrote:Hello?

Anybody here? This is quite confusing... is this available now?? And what exactly is the difference between Octane Cloud and Brigade? There is a nice website for Brigade but without any info at all.

Is this a dead project or something (i did not read the whole 10 pages of this thread, just the first 2 and last 2)? I mean... it's a year after the announcement...
I'm confused about:
-) Difference between Octane Cloud (Workstation) vs. Brigade
-) Available? Only in US? Beta??
-) How to use this service?
-) Why is it hard to get answers to these questions?


Best regards,
Manuel

- Octane is an offline render, Brigade is a real-time ray-tracer aimed for games.
- The cloud service is currently being tested in US, the service is not yet publicly released.
- I think there are a couple of tutorial somewhere, but at the moment is quite complicated and not very user-friendly.
- It seems the devs are a bit shy regarding this, maybe Otoy doesn't want to spread false infos until the service is ready? I dunno, just guessing here.



There are two Octane Cloud services:

1) Using Octane remotely on the cloud with Max, Maya etc. from a browser.

This is live and has been since November on Amazon: viewtopic.php?p=176211#p176211

There is a beta version we are testing that allows you to get all this working without going through AWS, using just otoy.com, but we are not pushing it hard until we can get 1.5/2.0 updated to better support this with network rendering (see below)

2) Rendering on Multiple GPUs in the cloud (offline or live) using the Cloud Edition

This is in fact an Octane 2.0 feature, and we needed to get to 2.0 (cloud edition+ a new network node licensing model) to take advantage of this capability the same way we showed at GTC last year. The same code that allowed us to render on 100s of GPUs at once is now in Octane 2.0, and will be enabled through various different ways (rental, cloud, VCA appliance, DIY LAN render in house, etc.)

The most cost effective way to render in Octane will be in the cloud, due to economies of scale that leverage the entire user base. That is why we introduced ORBX packages in 1.5, to make render jobs trivial..

ORBX packages can also be sent to the Brigade engine on Amazon, which will allow you to use the B3 engine for walkthroughs inside a browser. Down the line, we will support games and VR through his service.

Hope this clears things up.
User avatar
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Postby DayDreamer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:47 am

DayDreamer Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:47 am
Hey there, I need to render a heavy, animated scene as fast as possible. I'm speaking of a highpoly water mesh,or 12k square textures. Certainly not really heavy, but with 20 Mb per frame... It bites. So, what is the best approach?

  • Buy MORE video cards
  • Bye MORE videocards and assemble a home LAN-Renderfarm
  • Connect several PCs across the internet into a LAN
  • Use Cloud Service

As I'm unaware of traffic usage, I can't calculate where a bottleneck would be. Network rendering is alluring, yet pricy or slow. Cloud service sounds sweet, but heck, I can't find any info or How-to.

Thank you :)
CPU: 5930K i7, GPU: 2x iChill Nvidia 780Ti, 980, RAM:32GB, Win 7, SSD.
DayDreamer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Postby Goldorak » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:47 am

Goldorak Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:47 am
DayDreamer wrote:Hey there, I need to render a heavy, animated scene as fast as possible. I'm speaking of a highpoly water mesh,or 12k square textures. Certainly not really heavy, but with 20 Mb per frame... It bites. So, what is the best approach?

  • Buy MORE video cards
  • Bye MORE videocards and assemble a home LAN-Renderfarm
  • Connect several PCs across the internet into a LAN
  • Use Cloud Service

As I'm unaware of traffic usage, I can't calculate where a bottleneck would be. Network rendering is alluring, yet pricy or slow. Cloud service sounds sweet, but heck, I can't find any info or How-to.

Thank you :)


The cloud is the fastest render. At OTOY we never render stuff on our office LAN, we only use the cloud render where we can throw 100s of GPUs at a frame. Once your ORBX scene is uploaded, the rest is easier. We'll be introducing cloud storage and management soon. There will be some announcements at Siggraph about pricing.
User avatar
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Postby Obizzz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Obizzz Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:06 pm
Goldorak wrote:We'll be introducing cloud storage and management soon. There will be some announcements at Siggraph about pricing.


What happened to this?
User avatar
Obizzz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:39 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Postby Goldorak » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Goldorak Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:02 pm
Obizzz wrote:
Goldorak wrote:We'll be introducing cloud storage and management soon. There will be some announcements at Siggraph about pricing.


What happened to this?


The first two apps on X.IO are Octane CE and Blender. Pricing is still about 1$ GPU hour, but on X.IO we can do per minute pricing, and one click launch, with access to all major cloud storage venders.
User avatar
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Postby rock1ng » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:26 am

rock1ng Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:26 am
Help!

I urgently need to use octane render cloud edition this weekend, is it possible?, where? how to ?

I have octane 1.0 purchased, but i will buy octane 2.0 if cloud edition is finally avaible.

Many thanks for the replay anybody!!
;)
WIN7x64,Asrock z87 killer/ i7 4770/16gb//GPU: GTX 780 Ti "superclocked" ; Rhino
rock1ng
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Announcing OctaneRender Cloud Edition

Postby kavorka » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:34 pm

kavorka Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:34 pm
I wish I could get access to it too. We have an animation that even running 24/7 on our 4 computers may not get done in time.

The cloud edition is the single most important feature for our company. No other feature even comes close.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:40 am
PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:18 am [ UTC ]