OctaneRender for ArchiCAD released

Forums: OctaneRender for ArchiCAD released
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW : OctaneRender for ArchiCAD v1.10 released

Postby Qstu » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Qstu Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:05 pm
HI again,

Thanks for the answer and for the great Job you've acheived. I'm so impatient to test this plugin on ArchiCAD.

I've a question btw, I may have missed this in the documentation or the intro video but are functions like "hide to GI" or "hide to Camera" intergrated in the ArchiCAD plugin? ( let's say to hide an emitter geometry and so)
Qstu

Postby face_off » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 pm

face_off Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 pm
Hi Qstu

The general rule is, it the element is not visible in the ArchiCAD perspective window being rendered, it will not be visible in the OctaneRender Viewport. So filtering out elements removes them from both the ArchiCAD window and OctaneRender Viewport (needs a scene refresh if the Viewport is already open).

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Qstu » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 am

Qstu Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 am
Maybe rare but there are some situations where those functions could help.

Hide to camera
when you need for example to have the light effect but to hide the fixture , if I hide the layer in ArchiCAD it wouldn't create the light effect whereas if it is hidden to camera I could see the light but not the fixture

HIDE TO GI
As for GI, what if I wouldn't like the color of a wall for example to affect the near objects
Last edited by Qstu on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qstu

Postby face_off » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:02 am

face_off Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:02 am
Hide to camera

Ctrl-A (to select all), de-select the element you want to hide (with shift-select), then F5. Then your ArchiCAD viewport is hiding that element, so when you load the scene into the Octane Viewport, it will also be hidden.

In the next version I am looking at having a new category (called OctaneRender) in the selection settings, which is where instancing info will be kept. Potentially there could also be a "Visible" flag. But that is not nearly as intuitive as the above workflow.

when you need for example to have the light effect but to hide the fixture , if I hide the layer in ArchiCAD it wouldn't create the light effect whereas if it is hiden to camera I could see the light but not the fixture

This is easily fixed by making the emitter opacity 0 - the fixture is hidden but still acts as an emitter.

At the moment, exterior renders use daylight and IBL. For interiors you need some emitters, and the plugin uses emissive ArchiCAD materials as the emitters (so picks up light globes etc). This works very well for some light source geometry, however the underlying geometry of some light sources may not be optimal to use as an Octane emitter. So in a future release there will be a way to add a single poly geometry item at the position of the selected element, which uses an emitter material which as opacity set to 0. So you'll see the light form the geometry but not the geometry itself.

HIDE TO GI
As for GI, what if I wouldn't like the color of a wall for example to affect the near objects

I don't think this would be possible with the Octane renderer (and therefore the plugin). The basis of the Octane renderer is "realism", and therefore the wall SHOULD (and does) effect the color of nearby objects.

Hope that answers your question.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Qstu » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:19 am

Qstu Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:19 am
Thank you, that does answer the question.
Qstu

Postby jsmendoz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 pm

jsmendoz Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 pm
Will this work on a student version of archicad 16?
jsmendoz

Postby face_off » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

face_off Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm
Will this work on a student version of archicad 16?

Yes, it should work on the student version. I haven't tried it personally, but there is no reason it wouldn't work on that version (it works on the full, trial and demo versions).

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby BfPuVAK » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:37 am

BfPuVAK Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:37 am
Hello !

When transfering the geometry from Archicad to Octane I get the error "Texture not Found" with the given name of the Archicad-Material.
The problem: this material has no texture. OK, then I assign a texture (via the Archicad material editor) but the error persists !
By removing the material this error disappears but this is of course not a real solution...
Are there any restricions for textures/filenames/... ?
(In Archicad all needed libraries are loaded and nothing missing of course)

In another project i get "a critical error has occured, dublicate material found". I have no idea how to solve this, in Archicad material names
can by itself only be unique (or get automatically a "(2)" ), so where could that duplicate be ?

I'm using AC15 & AC16. AC15 is hard-crashing quite often at exporting, so no bug-report. AC16 stable up to now...

Apart from the problems: :D

Greetings from Germany,
A

---------------
Win8 Pro 64bit / Intel i7-3630QM @ 2.4 GHz / RAM 16GB
Intel HD Graphics 4000 & Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M (ver 9.18.13.1396)
Archicad 15 build 3898 GER Full
Archicad 16 build 3270 GER Full
Win 10 Pro 64bit / Intel i7-6700 @ 4.0 GHz / RAM 32GB
2 x Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 8GB (+ sometimes a GTX 970)
Archicad 21 4022 GER Full + Octane Render !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l7SefSWV98
http://www.youtube.com/user/BfPuVAK/videos
BfPuVAK
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 am

face_off Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 am
When transfering the geometry from Archicad to Octane I get the error "Texture not Found" with the given name of the Archicad-Material.
The problem: this material has no texture. OK, then I assign a texture (via the Archicad material editor) but the error persists !
By removing the material this error disappears but this is of course not a real solution...
Are there any restricions for textures/filenames/... ?
(In Archicad all needed libraries are loaded and nothing missing of course)

Hi

I suspect your issues are due to special characters in filenames or material names.

There is a thread for reporting issues at http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=29556. It details the information I need - in particular - which version of the plugin are you on? The latest 1.11b-3 addressed some issues with special characters in filenames and material names, which may fix your problem. Also, 32 bit or 64?

If 1.11b3 is crashing on AC15 - would it be possible to send me the scene pls? My email address is paul at physicalc-software.com.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby BfPuVAK » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:02 pm

BfPuVAK Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:02 pm
Hi Paul,

thanks for the response.
Neither the material itself nor the texture use special characters but the project-path does. I'll check that and go through the "reporting issues".
I'll mail you the AC15 file with the crashing problem.

I run everything on 64bit, the Plugin is v1.11beta. I'dont know if it is a 3 but I downloaded it yesterday, so i suppose it is the newest.

Will it be possible to get a animation out of Archicad with the saved viewport picture?
In ArchiCad you can "play" the animation in the 3D-Window -with OpenGL turned on it runs nearly in realtime - so if Octane could save its picture
(hold back ArchiCad from jumping to the next frame till the rendering is finished) and repeat that with every frame - that would be perfect !
I can do the process manually frame by frame, so it theoretically only needs to be automated...

Thanks in advance & greetings,
A
Win 10 Pro 64bit / Intel i7-6700 @ 4.0 GHz / RAM 32GB
2 x Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 8GB (+ sometimes a GTX 970)
Archicad 21 4022 GER Full + Octane Render !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l7SefSWV98
http://www.youtube.com/user/BfPuVAK/videos
BfPuVAK
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements