Preview of OctaneRender for Revit

Forums: Preview of OctaneRender for Revit
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Preview of OctaneRender for Revit

Postby face_off » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:34 am

face_off Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:34 am
Looking forward to this one if can make it work with trees/bushes etc, revit don´t like imported geometry

Adding geometry proxies is unlikely to be part of the initial release, but it is certainly on the list of potential enhancements after release.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:41 am

face_off Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:41 am
Everything will work OK if you use Revit with Max and Octane (or Maxwell, I an a big fan of both) and maybe a plugin like ForestPack.
This is my workflow...
It is silly if not more, to deal with Revit which is probably the best BIM software but the worst generic modeling app ever!
Not only you can't use millions of free objects (import obj or 3ds) but you can't even make such things!
There is a reason for this... Adesk's modeling and rendering app is MAX... Revit is a building modeler, that's it!
The biggest error was to add rendering inside Revit... the worst was to think they did a good job!

I agree that Revit is a very good at BIM. And I think there is a userbase who are looking for high quality rendering from Revit with just what they have in the scene (which the plugin can provide). For advanced users, I would expect them to still go from Revit to 3ds to Octane, because Revit doesn't allow the control of uv mapping, sub'ding, and adding additional geometry, etc that 3ds does. But as a utility to quickly see your Revit scene in Octane, the plugin is amazing.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mainframefx » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:38 pm

mainframefx Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:38 pm
Never used revit in my life (probably because I never did architecture) but its really great to see plugins for so many tools out there that normally dont get much love from major renderers like Vray.
i7-3930K@4,8GHz | 64GB RAM | 2x GTX 560 Ti 448 | Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7-3930K@4,2GHz | 32GB RAM | 1x GTX 560 Ti 448 | Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7-2600K@4,4GHz | 16GB RAM | 1x GTX 560 Ti 448| 1x Quadro 2000D | Windows 7 x64 SP1
mainframefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JJTTBB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:11 pm

JJTTBB Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:11 pm
face_off wrote:I agree that Revit is a very good at BIM. And I think there is a userbase who are looking for high quality rendering from Revit with just what they have in the scene (which the plugin can provide). For advanced users, I would expect them to still go from Revit to 3ds to Octane, because Revit doesn't allow the control of uv mapping, sub'ding, and adding additional geometry, etc that 3ds does. But as a utility to quickly see your Revit scene in Octane, the plugin is amazing.
Paul

You are 100% correct! I just wanted to make clear that for serious rendering and nice results you can't use only Revit... No matter which renderer you choose... even with Mental Ray...
I make 99% exterior arch renderings for others so I would never try to make everything inside Revit...
I sometimes think how wonderful Revit could be if Adesk didn't buy it....
AutoCAD,Revit Architecture, Max Design (all 2012) , Moi3D,Maxwell Render,Octane Render
Intel i7-8Gb RAM - Win7x64 - GTX550Ti
JJTTBB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ahhhchuen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:16 am

ahhhchuen Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:16 am
Agreed with all Adsk user about Octane in Revit.

I still think it's a good move of OTOY to promote Octane in Revit platform, thinking BIMer a big herd thirsty for 1st class rendering.

Technically, 100% Adsk material compatability is needed as time saver, otherwise the plugin almost have no edge at all vs. 3dsmax or standalone.

Please look into Navisworks if OTOY want more serious BIMers to join. It encompass Revit plus other format plus Primavera timerliner animations.
ahhhchuen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JJTTBB » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 am

JJTTBB Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 am
Navisworks seems a good idea... However I believe that all BIM apps will have similar problems because their purpose is to make parametric models... they are not modelers... they are mostly databases... this is their primary target... so it will take time before good modeling and BIM will fully exist in one app...
AutoCAD,Revit Architecture, Max Design (all 2012) , Moi3D,Maxwell Render,Octane Render
Intel i7-8Gb RAM - Win7x64 - GTX550Ti
JJTTBB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 pm

face_off Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 pm
Technically, 100% Adsk material compatability is needed as time saver, otherwise the plugin almost have no edge at all vs. 3dsmax or standalone.

I think the Revit plugin will be a substantially quicker and easier workflow to get a scene rendered in Octane than via 3DS. However, there will be users who still want to use the 3DS plugin for the geometry tweaking that can be done using that workflow. The Revit plugin picks up the majority of the Revit material settings, so only minor tweaking will be required. Then once you have the material looking right, you can save it as a default, so that Octane node setup will be used when that material next needs to be converted (on another Revit scene). It's an incredible quick and intuitive workflow.

Please look into Navisworks if OTOY want more serious BIMers to join. It encompass Revit plus other format plus Primavera timerliner animations.

If you load a Revit scene into Navisworks, it picks up far fewer material settings than the Octane plugin for Revit does, so I think it would be a poor option for Revit users to render in Octane (if there was a plugin for Navisworks). However the ability to animate in Navisworks would work nicely in OctaneRender.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby celd » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 am

celd Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 am
I completely agree with some of the comments related to the limitations of modeling in Revit and how it doesn't work nearly as well for renderings as a modeling program. BUT, I am highly excited to see a plugin is in development for the program I use almost daily. What I've noticed in smaller firms that use Revit is there still being a need for digital renderings to be produced for clients, but there is not enough of a need for a dedicated modeling program like 3ds Max. Those small firms, like the one I work for, start projects in Revit with the primary intent of using the BIM for construction documents, but they end up getting requests from clients for marketable renderings, or they have a need to show a space in 3D to convey ideas to their client. Clients typically don't understand how long it takes to model and render their "pretty pictures," so the fastest option with the best results is what's used for renderings. Since the building model is already being developed for documents, the most critical scene objects (everything to construct the building) are ready to be used instead of having to go through the process of modeling from scratch or deal with the hassle of importing into Max and getting everything to work. Thus, with a plugin for Revit, all that would be needed is modeling a few scene items, tweaking settings (materials, lighting, cameras), and some Photoshop post production.

I've worked with Revit continuously since the 2008 release for modeling complex geometry. And, from what I've learned, there are very few scene critical objects I can't model with Revit. If I had just two days to get renderings out, I would definitely choose the use of a nearly finished model in Revit over any other method. For me, and those who need to use Revit for renderings, this plugin will be incredibly helpful in the rendering jobs handed to us on short notice. When it is ready for purchase, I'll have my credit card ready.
celd
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Curcis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 am

Curcis Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 am
Amazing news!!!!

Be sure i will continue to use Octane for 3ds (because of heavy object), but i will use it too for revit. (most of my projects).

If you want a beta tester....
Curcis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:04 am

face_off Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:04 am
I completely agree with some of the comments related to the limitations of modeling in Revit and how it doesn't work nearly as well for renderings as a modeling program. BUT, I am highly excited to see a plugin is in development for the program I use almost daily. What I've noticed in smaller firms that use Revit is there still being a need for digital renderings to be produced for clients, but there is not enough of a need for a dedicated modeling program like 3ds Max. Those small firms, like the one I work for, start projects in Revit with the primary intent of using the BIM for construction documents, but they end up getting requests from clients for marketable renderings, or they have a need to show a space in 3D to convey ideas to their client. Clients typically don't understand how long it takes to model and render their "pretty pictures," so the fastest option with the best results is what's used for renderings. Since the building model is already being developed for documents, the most critical scene objects (everything to construct the building) are ready to be used instead of having to go through the process of modeling from scratch or deal with the hassle of importing into Max and getting everything to work. Thus, with a plugin for Revit, all that would be needed is modeling a few scene items, tweaking settings (materials, lighting, cameras), and some Photoshop post production.

That describes the goal and intent of the plugin perfectly!

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements