Preview of OctaneRender for ArchiCAD

Forums: Preview of OctaneRender for ArchiCAD
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: Preview of OctaneRender for ArchiCAD

Postby Refracty » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am

Refracty Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am
nice to see a new plug in coming soon.
I have hoped the next one will be Octane for Rhino.
Maybe next time.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cbapog » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm

cbapog Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm
OMG its cool. i am archicad user from archicad 4.0 version.
15 years work is archicad house model exported to 3dsmax for add furniture and render.
cbapog
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tubel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:40 pm

tubel Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:40 pm
thank you! thank you! :shock: :shock:
now a "retard" question: will it support archicad instances?
Win 7 Ultimate x64 | AMD Phenom II x4 810 2.60 Ghz | 8Gb Ram DDR3 | Archicad 16, Sketchup, Moi3d
tubel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 pm

face_off Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 pm
Thanks for the comments.

will it support archicad instances?

I'm not aware of any geometry instancing in ArchiCAD, however I had thought that some sort of auto-grass generation through Octane instancing might be possible.

Great news! Which Archicad Release is necessary?

The plugin will be developed on ArchiCAD 16, and will (ideally) be compiled to run on 14 and 15 too. The version 14 compiled code /may/ run on pre-version 14 ArchiCAD.

Find ways to import detailed trees and other objects directly in the render without using Archicad.

Loading addition geometry into the Octane scene that is not in the ArchiCAD scene could prove difficult for people to use. For example, if the tree loads inside a building, how do you find it to move it? Plus there are many scaling issues. It would be better to load the tree into the ArchiCAD scene first. However if many people request this functionality, I will certainly look at how it could be implemented.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 pm

rappet Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 pm
necko77 wrote:...
anyway your competition is artlantis....
good luck

I am so happy to see something happening in connecting Archicad with Octane :D :P :lol:
Good way to start 2013.

I agree on the above Artlantis is competition... (not as renderer ofcourse... Duh :lol: ... but as being a part of the workflow)..
...probably a lot of Archicad users use(d) Artlantis for adding detailed trees and quick texturizing/materializing like I do.
Right now my workflow is from Archicad 2 ATL 2 SKP 2 OR.
Another way is to skip the ATL as in between but adding seperate OBJ's later to the ocs...
.. that I have to export from ATL 2 to obj's... But it is a pretty hard way for a workflow while moving the obj's to the right spot has to Be done manually with trial and errors with the numbers (placement nodes)..
Moving obj by just picking them up with mouse would solve a lot!!!

Anyway.. Excited about what will come :P
Last edited by rappet on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:05 am

face_off Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:05 am
Thanks Rappet - that's very useful information.

What is the reason for not adding the additional scene elements (trees etc) into the ArchiCAD scene, rather than further down the pipeline (in Octane Standalone)?

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby necko77 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 am

necko77 Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 am
face_off wrote:Thanks Rappet - that's very useful information.

What is the reason for not adding the additional scene elements (trees etc) into the ArchiCAD scene, rather than further down the pipeline (in Octane Standalone)?

Paul

Archicad has BIG problem showing, navigating, redrawing scenes with great number of polygons and archicad is a BIM sogtware which means that archciad is aware of everything that you draw. You can anytime know everything about your project(quantities, sections, views,everything is there)....So when you start adding 3d models of trees, bunch of polygons which must be recalculated every time i move on my scene, open 3d window, section window etc....then archicad become pain in da asss...

Thats why they move final touch of visualization to artlantis...Archicad is not right tool for it

So its a MUST to create simple and effective way of adding 3d objects, UV mapping, texturing, scene in octane render for archicad plugin...
If you want this addon to become part of workflow....then you must help archciad users to finish scene... add objects, adjust textures, mappings in octane render.

I hope this helps
ArchiCad, Blender, Moi3d
GTX 580 3GB
Win 7, 64 Bit
necko77

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:35 am

face_off Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:35 am
I hope this helps

I does - thank you. The two viable options are 1) load a tree into the Archicad scene, and then instance it in Octane 100 times (have you seen the instancing tools I wrote for Poser?), or 2) load a dummy (null) object into the ArchiCAD scene (simple sphere for example), which will act as a placeholder for an external obj file. I'll need to check the ArchiCAD API, but I think it would be possible to link the obj filename, rotation and size to the null objects attributes, so you could move the object around the ArchiCAD scene, and the full geometry would move around the Octane scene.

Thanks fro your input.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:37 am

face_off Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:37 am
So its a MUST to create simple and effective way of adding 3d objects, UV mapping, texturing, scene in octane render for archicad plugin...

I would envisage the external 3D objects (in obj format) would already be uv mapped, so the plugin would simply allow you to assign an existing ArchiCAD or Octane material definition, and create a new one.
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby tubel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am

tubel Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am
face_off wrote:I'm not aware of any geometry instancing in ArchiCAD, however I had thought that some sort of auto-grass generation through Octane instancing might be possible.

when i was referring to "instances" in archicad i was thinking if there is a way for octane to interpret identical objects as "instances"
for example i used archicad for a stadium project and had about 56k chairs and 10k toilets :lol: (a total nightmare), they were the same objects with the same name, and i was thinking there is a way to treat objects with similar names as instances.

if it is a dumb idea i`m sorry :oops:
Win 7 Ultimate x64 | AMD Phenom II x4 810 2.60 Ghz | 8Gb Ram DDR3 | Archicad 16, Sketchup, Moi3d
tubel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements