OctaneRender for Poser - Initial Overview

Forums: OctaneRender for Poser - Initial Overview
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender Integrated Plugin for Poser - Initial Overv

Postby mlru » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:10 pm

mlru Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:10 pm
A skin material from Poser translates to a glossy node in Octane, with defaults which (IMO) give a fantastic rendered result in Octane (and better than the best skin shader in Poser - again, IMO).

Have to agree with that.
And Octanes nodes are much easier to work with than Posers material room which is designed for Firefly, a biased renderer, anyway.
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Tugpsx » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Tugpsx Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:32 pm
While there is some truth that the Octane materials are better suited for construction and rendering in Octane, than those from Poser, one has to take into consideration that the average user will want to want to have the conversion done for them. This is a delima faced by all exporters and plugin developers.
How much time and effort to put into the material editor. By the end of the day the plugin that offers this kind of integration could come out more successful.

Remember that you are now working with architects and modelers, you are building for artists who are accustom to having prebuilt characters, cloting, textures and environment. So it is more important in a plugin than an exporter to try and transfer the material in such a way that the end user will have to do very little to tweek.

Look at Bill Baggins skin shader, as great as it is, people quarelled with him for years about making it easier for them to use. This is a whole different set of users to "Face".
Dell Win Vista 32 | NVIDIA Quadro NVS135M | Core2 Duo T7500 2.20GHz | 4GB
CyberPowerPC Win 7 64| NVIDIA GTX660Ti (3G) GTX480(1.5G) | 16GB
Tugpsx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:30 pm

face_off Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:30 pm
Look at Bill Baggins skin shader, as great as it is, people quarelled with him for years about making it easier for them to use. This is a whole different set of users to "Face".

I agree. The Poser plugin users will be a very different audience to the other Octane plugin users. So the Poser plugin has been designed a little differently. I think it hits the mark as far as doing almost everything for the user automatically, but then giving them the ability to tune the end result too.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby hoddie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:16 pm

hoddie Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:16 pm
I just purchased a dual core Xeon and 2X 4gb GTX 680s setup exclusively for octane - Crazy I know...but it is Awesome...

Can I apply for Beta ?
hoddie
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby spats » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:08 pm

spats Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:08 pm
I see.

So all materials will be Octane constructs in the end. Original Poser materials basically still replaced with Octane effects, as always. No change there, then.

Some Poser users will be fine with it. Others will gripe, I'm sure.

While "better" is always subjective, "change" is very rarely unwelcome in my experience with Poser; a fact most poignant in the core development over the years, no doubt there. I, for one, do like the Octane materials "better" than Poser's, but no one can argue that Poser has its own look and own approach to getting to that look.
People tied to the SSS styling and setup within the Poser materials room for Firefly rendering, for example, might certainly be reluctant to adopt a new workflow to get to something "close" to what they're used to; and perhaps never even achieving it in the end. But hopefully they'll come around.
I wonder, however, if some of them might never convert for the simple fact that their original scenes are not rendered "faithfully" enough to what they've come to expect from the world of Poser output?
Not that any of this is the concern of OR/Otoy or its assigns; just suggesting that - as many Poser users are simply looking for a speed increase, and not a quality "increase" - some may find a "different" render to be an "undesirable" render.

Either way, I, myself, am looking forward simply to the speed boost using parallel GPU processing. Long time coming.
Animations, for example, will now be a different animal.
spats

Postby Sixus1 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 am

Sixus1 Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 am
If it's still possible to beta this, I would really like to get involved. Looks promising. -Les
Sixus1

Postby cbmotion » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:16 pm

cbmotion Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:16 pm
Wow - and what sall the mac user do? it is a pitty that mac is every time the last which will be done - when it will be done?
i wait for octane power tool like i wait for this poser plug in - please - dont let us mac user standing out in the rain ;-(

carsten
cbmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:55 pm

face_off Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:55 pm
Thanks for the comments everyone.

There is a heap of info and samples renders done with the plugin at http://www.facebook.com/poserphysics. There is also description of the plugin operation and features at http://poserphysics.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/octanerender-for-poser-features.html.

If it's still possible to beta this, I would really like to get involved

Les, beta is pretty much done!

Wow - and what sall the mac user do? it is a pitty that mac is every time the last which will be done - when it will be done?

Mac versions are done last because they are generally more challenging to do than the Windows versions. There is a Mac version planned, but my guess is that it would be many months before it is ready.

Paul
Attachments
flowers in oil can.png
vtest4.png
bottle.png
banshee.png
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby cbmotion » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:32 pm

cbmotion Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:32 pm
Hi Paul -
Thank you for the quick answer - but it sounds terrible "many month" snieeff

ok - i wait and will looks jealous to all the pc user on poser

go on with your fantstic work

Carsten
cbmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlru » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 pm

mlru Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 pm
face_off wrote:Les, beta is pretty much done!

:)
So - and the release date is.......?
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements