Preview of OctaneRender™ with instancing support

Forums: Preview of OctaneRender™ with instancing support
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Preview of OctaneRender™ with instancing support

Postby Elvissuperstar007 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Elvissuperstar007 Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:57 pm
Attachments
инстанс.jpg
win 7 /64x C2Quad 6600 2.4/ Nvidia 9800 GX2 1gb 512 bit + Asus 480 GTX/ DDR2 8Gb / NVIDIA 460 GTX 2GB/2x NVIDIA 580 GTX 3GB
Page octane render " В Контакте " http://vkontakte.ru/club17913093
Elvissuperstar007
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Tugpsx » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:13 am

Tugpsx Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:13 am
Awesome fratures love where we are heading with Octane.
Interesting thing happened to me today, that both GPU failed during a instancing setup as shown below. The only way to get it going again was to exit octane.

instancecrash.jpg
Failed GPU during setup

UPDATE:
Apparently when I started the projet the large building that I had in the scene originally must have beeen using memory even after it was deleted from the scene, because this time I did the same thing with the building and the trees and just started new scene and it continued.
Dell Win Vista 32 | NVIDIA Quadro NVS135M | Core2 Duo T7500 2.20GHz | 4GB
CyberPowerPC Win 7 64| NVIDIA GTX660Ti (3G) GTX480(1.5G) | 16GB
Tugpsx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby treddie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 am

treddie Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 am
I've noticed "crashing cards" too, when dumping old scenes or meshes and replacing with new ones, but only when they were large compared to the VRAM available. Sometimes a system reboot was the only remedy.

I'm straying from the original topic, but connected to the above post, another "disaster" I will never repeat again was running my dedicated-to-Octane GTX560 on a render with plenty of VRAM to spare, and running another small render on my 260, which has to do double time carrying out Windows functions. I had other apps running at the time, including Firefox when my system completely locked up. CNTL/ALT/DEL would not bring up Task Manager so I was pretty well screwed. So I just turned the machine off and let it reboot. Unfortunately, even though I had an Internet connection, I could not get online. Also some programs settings became corrupted or simply refused to run. Diagnostics found no problems so the only solution that worked was to disable the network card, shutdown, unplug my router and cable modem, plug them back in, reboot and re-enable the network card. I think what happened was that when the lock-up occurred and I shutdown, the network card was left in a bizarre state with Windows that it could not recover from. This affected ALL apps that required access to the Internet. Even Task Manager could not stop any tasks that were attempting to gain Internet access. So by disabling the network card, I was able to get Windows to let go of it. I really don't know, but what I think started all of this was that the 560 was sending data back to the motherboard that needed to go to the screen, but the 260 which runs my monitor was running an Octane job, too, and I think Octane got confused. It is also possible that even though Octane showed that I had plenty of VRAM left on the 260 does not necessarily mean it had enough when Windows was using it, too.

So my MO (for now, anyway), is never run any GPU render jobs on the card that also runs Windows display functions, while another GPU renders. Leave Octane to render-dedicated GPUs.
Win7 | Geforce TitanX w/ 12Gb | Geforce GTX-560 w/ 2Gb | 6-Core 3.5GHz | 32Gb | Cinema4D w RipTide Importer and OctaneExporter Plugs.
treddie
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby larmannjan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:30 am

larmannjan Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:30 am
First of all this is great news by I am wondering how fill one control scatter. Although Octane is a great render engine it would be nice if instances placed in other programmer would appear as instances in octane.
Win 7 64-bit | GTX580 | i7- 2600 @ 3.4Ghz | 12GB
larmannjan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to News & Announcements