Launching of OctaneRender™ for Maya®

Forums: Launching of OctaneRender™ for Maya®
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: Launching of OctaneRender™ for Maya®

Postby JimStar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm

JimStar Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm
EdgeSuizo wrote:I can send you the scene at night here in Chile, im in the studio right now. im gonna send you the maya scene and the octane scene to check the values.

Another problem i habe with the plugin is the batch render mode, i cant find a way to create a batch to render an animation, i tried with backburner, but it gives me an error so i think the octane plugin doesnt work wit backburner.

Thank you!
I will check that all.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby centropolis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:13 pm

centropolis Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:13 pm
Snoopy wrote:Centropolis did you buy it?
I'm thinking about buying it but not sure yet, it's not the money.

I agree with a lot of people, this is not expensive, but spending so many hours trying to make something work is.
When I play with some 3d graphics for personal use I have no problem with wasting time,
but when I get a project I can't try so many things, don't have the time,
I have to use what works.

Because the way Octane works as a standalone product, it affects the way I build the objects or animation,
when I'm on a deadline I have to make sure all the time spent before rendering will not go to waste,
I was thinking the plugin would help with that.

It would be very helpful if people that bought it would write an objective clear list of pros and cons.

The picture from Edgesuizo shows noise, over exposed, different color temperature (white balance).

I'm sure everybody has seen the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGhPWJ7qACg

In the end all we want is for the plugin to work.

Yesssss ! I bought the license. (standalone and octanerender for maya).
On another workstation, I use a kepler version (test build).

To operate ... goes.
But it is very early to use it for work, I think.
There is still lots of work.
Instances, SSS, adjustments to the UI (many!).
A bit 'slow again.
You can buy it as a beta. I do not know when OTOY will release the final version ...
I do tests in the meantime ...

I hope the final version very soon.
bye.
Centropolis
Intel Core i7 / 16 Gb Ram / 2x GeForce GTX680 1536+1536 Cuda Core / Windows 7 Pro
centropolis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Slimshader » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:13 am

Slimshader Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:13 am
Another problem i have with the plugin is the batch render mode, i cant find a way to create a batch to render an animation, i tried with backburner, but it gives me an error so i think the octane plugin doesnt work wit backburner.

To batch render you need to put the settings in the render settings common tab the usual way, (name.#.ext)
then set the time slider to the start frame you want, (b/c right now the batch render ignores the start frame in render settings but respects the end frame)
then either click on the 'Start / Reload Render' on the octane shelf or click the render button on Render View
and thats it. It will start to batch from the render view.

When you want to test render single frames after you batch render, I have needed to set 'Frame/Animation ext:' in the render settings back to 'name.ext(Single Frame)' or else it will advance to the next frame when the render gets to its max samples.
Happened to me a few times until I noticed what was going on.
Slimshader
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Garrick » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 am

Garrick Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 am
I know this is off topic but when will Octane support displacement mapping?
Vista 64| 660 GTX | 6600 Quad | 8GB DD2|Maya 2011
Garrick
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby charge » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:52 pm

charge Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:52 pm
How long after paying does it normally take for the plugin to be activated?
Thanks.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Kentsfield) @ 2.4ghz. Asus P5N-E SLI (nForce 650i). 8GB ram. 6GB Geforce Titan + 2GB GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Win 7 x64.
charge
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abreukers » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:26 pm

abreukers Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:26 pm
purchases get processed within 24 hours and a confirmation (download and activation email) is sent to your registered address. After that, when and where you activate is up to you :)
i72630QM @ 2.00GHz | 6GB RAM | 2GB GeForce GT 540M | Win7 64bit
abreukers
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby petermax » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:11 am

petermax Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:11 am
Garrick wrote:I know this is off topic but when will Octane support displacement mapping?

just wondering why don't you use normal maps?
Win 7 64 | 3 x GTX 580 | i7 950 | 24GB
petermax
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fsilas » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 pm

fsilas Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 pm
It' has been somewhat of a let down to not have access to this Maya plugin for OctaneRender even though I've paid for OctaneRender. I agree that at least making a demo version available would be ideal. if you're going to expect me to pay for something....show me that it's worth my money. I'm an early adopter because I'm supporting your cause.

I just shot a short sci fi film on RED Epic at 5k. I would like to use OctaneRender to render all of the cg visual effects.
fsilas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jmfowler » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 am

jmfowler Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 am
ok so I'm using maya 2012 now and been rendering using the Maya plugin. overall its such a relief to be able to make changes to geometry and shaders without having to export. and I think its definately worth the money for people who really want to use octane - but be prepared for a few crashes along the way.
Also I thought there was a descrepency between the 2 renders ( in maya and standalone ) but it was actually the octane-maya specific scale in the octane-maya globals, once I changed that it was all good.

Things that need quick attention :

1) Crashes for certain things, I found there was something in my hypershade that was causing maya/octane to crash ( octane specific) , had to keep importing scene into new file while I converted MR mia shaders to octane ones. Once i got rid of mia shaders and 2 rogue pieces of geometry it was stable.
2) Integration of the instancer - this has been a must have item since 5 years ago.

Things for to work on longer term.

I find it a bit clumsey with the linear sliders when I need to use very small numbers, it would be nice to have the same as the standalone here.
Octane live for materials.

Things for Octane to have now
1) day light system working properly with glass.
2) camera clipping, visible in reflections/refractions - on/off. -- need these for interior scenes.

cheers,
Maya 2013 / W7 64bit / Intel i7 980 / 24GB / Gigabyte gtx 580 3GB + 2*EVGA gtx 680 4gb / MB Gigabyte X58A-UD3R / NZXT Phantom - white/black case
Maya 2013/W7 64bit/Intel i7 3820/16GB/ MB Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 /4*EVGA gtx 680 4gb/SSD 6Gb.s /CM HAF X case
jmfowler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RickToxik » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:42 pm

RickToxik Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:42 pm
Well it works fine here! With maya 2013, I have some little issues but generally working good. I am quite happy, keep up the good work.
RickToxik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements