Loading scene elements?

Forums: Loading scene elements?
Autodesk Inventor (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Loading scene elements?

Postby Voodoo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Voodoo Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:17 pm
Hi,

I am working with big assemblies with detailed models (Assembly with all parts around 2Gb :shock: ). Models in assembly are single or multibody parts without any subassembles. These parts are made from higher detail level component assemblies as a reduced geometry shrinkwraps. I do shrinkwrap them as a multibody or spit face singlebody parts to preserve textures. Some of the assemblies take very long time to load assembly up tp few hours (last time took around 6h :shock: ). With fast track projects it is unaccepatble so I am looking to reduce that time :roll: .
I would like to understand what actually is loaded during 'Loading scene elements'? Is it the body count on each part or features? The count of elements is definitely much higher than amount of the parts in the assembly?

Regards
Voodoo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Loading scene elements?

Postby face_off » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:55 am

face_off Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:55 am
Hi - each "Element" is an Inventor surface which contains geometry which needs to be loaded into Octane. If you have assemblies as large as 2GB, I have no doubt it would take hours to load, because the process of the plugin extracting the geometry via the Inventor is not trivial, and would take that time to process.

Regretfully, I think using the plugin for assemblies this large would be too hard. Instead you could export the assemblies to OBJ and load them into Octane Standalone.

Sorry I can't give you better news.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Voodoo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Voodoo Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 pm
hi face-off

Thanks for an update. Unfortunately in my job I have to deal with big size assemblies. Using external software to convert the scene like polytrans does job quicker, however I have problems with materials as lots of them are missing. Might try to do it through fbx coversion in 3D Max.
So far I leave my computer running overnight to convert the scene in Inventor and saving it at the end to orbx standard.
I must admit I am having great fun so far with Octane after few years break (in meantime I was using bunkspeed, now solidworks visualize but is too expensive), well done guys :D

Best regards
Voodoo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:59 am

face_off Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:59 am
Yes, leaving it overnight, then saving to ORBX and loading to Octane Standalone is a good option for scenes the size you are dealing with.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Autodesk Inventor