are materials project based?

Forums: are materials project based?
Autodesk Inventor (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

are materials project based?

Postby frifer » Fri May 22, 2015 5:59 am

frifer Fri May 22, 2015 5:59 am
i was not able to entirely understand a few things about materials.. also checked the faq but as non-native its a bit difficult for me.. so lets make a list.. :)

1) when i hit the save as default button, is it saved for every single project? so if I reuse the same material in another project it will look like it was when i have hit the save as default button?
2) are some materials saved on a project basis? so that when i continue working Tomorrow they will still look the same? (beside save as default) id like to use some materials for this specific project only..
3) is there a way to load new materials from a materials list beside the live DB?
4) is there a way to assign a new material to a component without editing the one that has been assigned when ported? (this would be realllllly cool)
frifer

Re: are materials project based?

Postby face_off » Fri May 22, 2015 10:14 am

face_off Fri May 22, 2015 10:14 am
These re all answered at
http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Inventor/?page_id=35

1) when i hit the save as default button, is it saved for every single project? so if I reuse the same material in another project it will look like it was when i have hit the save as default button?
Yes, but only if the other project has not already converted the Inventor materials to Octane materials. The "defaults" are the default for when the Inventor material is next converted to an Octane material in any scene.

2) are some materials saved on a project basis? so that when i continue working Tomorrow they will still look the same? (beside save as default) id like to use some materials for this specific project only..
Yes, the Octane materials are saved in the Inventor save file. Pls see the link above for details.

3) is there a way to load new materials from a materials list beside the live DB?
Yes, you can import from the LocalDb.

4) is there a way to assign a new material to a component without editing the one that has been assigned when ported? (this would be realllllly cool)
No - there is an Octane material for each Inventor material - so change the Inventor material to change which Octane material is used.

Hope that helps.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Autodesk Inventor