Inventor Lights, Update materials

Forums: Inventor Lights, Update materials
Autodesk Inventor (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Inventor Lights, Update materials

Postby frifer » Fri May 15, 2015 8:49 am

frifer Fri May 15, 2015 8:49 am
Hello!

3 questions! :)

1) is there a way to use the Lights i set up in inventor inside the octane viewport? they are not appearing for me..
2) If i Edit a material in inventor, can it be updated inside the viewport without closing and reopening the viewport? it takes forever to transfer the entire scene even with triangulation tolerance set at 1.
3) if i have a material, how can i add emission to that material in the octane tab? only thing i found is to download a material from the live DB but that overwrites my current material. i would like to keep my material as it is but just add the emission.

thanks!

ps: would it be possible in the stereo mode to add one setting? parallel cross. its the same as parallel but with the images inversed. its the only image that can be easily previewed by crossing the eyes without needing special hardware. would be a big help.
frifer

Re: Inventor Lights, Update materials

Postby face_off » Fri May 15, 2015 11:28 am

face_off Fri May 15, 2015 11:28 am
Hi

1) is there a way to use the Lights i set up in inventor inside the octane viewport? they are not appearing for me..
No, Octane uses IBL, Daylight and geometry emitters to light scenes - so you need to the Octane Inventor Emitter part as place of the Inventor lights. http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Inventor/?page_id=79

2) If i Edit a material in inventor, can it be updated inside the viewport without closing and reopening the viewport? it takes forever to transfer the entire scene even with triangulation tolerance set at 1.
Select the material (use the Material Picker in the Viewport) and rightclick the material tree and select "Reconvert Inventor Material". How long are your scene taking to load? How many triangles is Octane reporting they have in the Viewport statistics?

3) if i have a material, how can i add emission to that material in the octane tab? only thing i found is to download a material from the live DB but that overwrites my current material. i would like to keep my material as it is but just add the emission.
Change the material type to Diffuse, then click the Emission tree item and change it's type from Not Connected to one of the emitter types. You can then tweak the power, distribution, etc.

ps: would it be possible in the stereo mode to add one setting? parallel cross. its the same as parallel but with the images inversed. its the only image that can be easily previewed by crossing the eyes without needing special hardware. would be a big help.
This is something you would need to request from the Octane team (via the Octane Standalone 2.23.2 thread). I thought I had read the Otoy were going to provide a quick way to test 3d cube pano's without uploading them to the Metaverse competition - but I can find where I read that...

Hope that answers your questions.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby frifer » Mon May 18, 2015 6:17 am

frifer Mon May 18, 2015 6:17 am
Hello!

1) ok - seems to be clear, will test it out today and report back..

2) I think i didnt explain myself properly. by "edit material in inventor" i meant that i assign a completely new material. Somehow i do not seem to be able to change the materials from the viewport, except by editing the selected one. lets say i have applied "steel" to a wall, that obviously doesnt make much sense.. so maybe id like to change it to White paint. Currently i have to close the viewport, assign a new material to the wall, reopen the viewport, or go to the material tab, and download a new material from the live DB to overwrite the inventor based material. so basically i would have a white material named steeel. On my scene it takes 7 minutes and 2 seconds to open the viewport. Octane reports 347683 triangles.
I noticed that while it is loading it shoots through most of the objects it has to import, then around 792 it hangs for about 4 minutes on a few objects. I immagine that those objects are the complex objects i imported as step models. But at the other hand those models are not THAT complex.

3) ok, thanks
frifer

Postby face_off » Mon May 18, 2015 7:24 am

face_off Mon May 18, 2015 7:24 am
2) I think i didnt explain myself properly. by "edit material in inventor" i meant that i assign a completely new material. Somehow i do not seem to be able to change the materials from the viewport, except by editing the selected one. lets say i have applied "steel" to a wall, that obviously doesnt make much sense.. so maybe id like to change it to White paint. Currently i have to close the viewport, assign a new material to the wall, reopen the viewport, or go to the material tab, and download a new material from the live DB to overwrite the inventor based material. so basically i would have a white material named steeel. On my scene it takes 7 minutes and 2 seconds to open the viewport. Octane reports 347683 triangles.
I noticed that while it is loading it shoots through most of the objects it has to import, then around 792 it hangs for about 4 minutes on a few objects. I immagine that those objects are the complex objects i imported as step models. But at the other hand those models are not THAT complex.
When you change the Inventor material for some geometry, you need to refresh the geometry in Octane (click the Refresh button rather than close and reopen the Viewport). 350k triangles should take way less than a minute to load, so something is amiss. Would it be possible to send me the scene pls so I can understand where the load bottleneck is.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby frifer » Mon May 18, 2015 7:38 am

frifer Mon May 18, 2015 7:38 am
yep, if you dont distribute it.. :) can you send me your email address please?
frifer

Postby frifer » Mon May 18, 2015 7:55 am

frifer Mon May 18, 2015 7:55 am
Just tried to hit the refresh button, but it takes the same amount of time to load as when i open the viewport..

i've sent you a PM with the downloadlink for the scene
frifer

Postby frifer » Fri May 22, 2015 6:15 am

frifer Fri May 22, 2015 6:15 am
Is there really no other way to speed up the import process?

my current project is a realively small Group, but has 5 imported components.. it takes over 30 minutes to load the viewport.

for example would it be possible to load only visible components? whatever is inside is ignored.. or use more processors to import.. currently its using only one core.. anything that could speed things up would be great!

thanks
frifer

Postby frifer » Fri May 22, 2015 7:27 am

frifer Fri May 22, 2015 7:27 am
update... it just opened the viewport.. took 1:40 and some surfaces are missing..

meaning that i have to restart over once i figure out why those surfaces are missing..
frifer

Postby face_off » Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 am

face_off Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 am
Is there really no other way to speed up the import process?
Over 75% of the import time is within Inventor, so outside my control, sorry.

my current project is a realively small Group, but has 5 imported components.. it takes over 30 minutes to load the viewport.
That just seems wrong. One of the issues is that you can only use a maximum Tolerance value of 1, which is way too low for large scenes (like a house/building/etc). So small scenes (1m x 1m) mesh very very quickly and load in a few seconds, but large scenes 100m x 100m take forever for Inventor to mesh. A potential solution would be to scale the scene down to 10% of it's original size. If you send me the scene I can tell you exactly what is taking all the time to load. Also - make sure he 5 imported components are not of your network.

for example would it be possible to load only visible components? whatever is inside is ignored..
How do you define "what is inside". I suspect determining what is inside would take longer than the load time.

or use more processors to import.. currently its using only one core.. anything that could speed things up would be great!
I tried multi-threading the load, however a) Inventor does not allow more than one thread to acces the Inventor components, and b) because the Inventor GUI takes so much CPU power, having a second thread actually slowed the load time. The fastest option with Inventor is to do the loading on the main thread so the UI is blocked.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby frifer » Tue May 26, 2015 6:11 am

frifer Tue May 26, 2015 6:11 am
ok i understand..

another idea that may sound stupid..
would it be possible to save the scene once converted, and reload it the next day (so it doesnt take forever to reimport) and if there are changes made (for example the position of one object) selectively update that single object?

lets say i have a lightbox made like you described in your FAQ. Moving that a little bit would translate in my case to a 1.5 hours transfer. and that just to update one single object, that on its own would take less than a second..

something along these lines possible?

thanks

ps: i can send you the scene if you want, its small, not a building. 6x4 meters machine but you ahve to keep it confidential.

let me know
frifer

Next

Return to Autodesk Inventor