OctaneRender 2 for Inventor [STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Inventor [STABLE]
Autodesk Inventor (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Inventor Beta 2.03 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:45 pm

face_off Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:45 pm
Hi Viacheslav. Thanks for the feedback.

- The plugin loads all elements of the assembly, regardless of whether they are visible or not in Inventor. And all this elements are shown on OctaneRender viewport.
How are you setting the Inventor element to "Invisible" pls?

- For convenience, it would be nice to make the automatic orientation of lightening depending on the orientation of the ground plane or view cube in Inventor.
I think this would be very difficult to implement. I suggest rotating the IBL image, or rotating the actual Inventor element being rendered.

- I've tried to open few assemblies with more than 100 elements and didn't reach the end of the load scene elements even when I reduced triangular tolerance to 0.1.
The triangular tolerance impacts the number of polygons generated by Inventor for curved surfaces. So it is possible there is just one element in the scene creating all the polygons with your tolerance amount of 0.1. Would it be possible to send me the scene with didn't finish loading pls? Then I can take a closer look at the root cause of the problem.

- If reopen plugin in same scene, it reloads all assembly again. If you can make some "caching" of geometry that has not being changed during last opening of render, it will save a lot of time to users.
Unfortunately this is very difficult - because there is no way to determine which geometry has changed in Inventor, and therefore which Octane scene elements to replace. How long is the scene taking to load?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Profius » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 am

Profius Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 am
How are you setting the Inventor element to "Invisible" pls?

As always, RMB on model -> Visibslity. Checked it on many assemblies, it doesn't work for Octane.

I suggest rotating the IBL image, or rotating the actual Inventor element being rendered.

Yes, this way I'm currently using.

Would it be possible to send me the scene with didn't finish loading pls?

I find out that errors appear when I try to open some files that was originally made in Inventor 2014, but resaved to 2015. There is no problems with originally inventor 2015 files.

there is no way to determine which geometry has changed in Inventor

May be possible to determine it by the date when the file changed.
And as I understand, the imported model is not associated with the model in Inventor. Only the position of the camera is taken. So to get a new image with the displaced components of assembly it is necessary to re-open it?

How long is the scene taking to load?

For example, the scene with 80 elements rendered by standard Raytrace about 15 minutes to an acceptable result. And the opening of the same scene in Octane takes 8-10 minutes plus minute to render.

And what about threads and markings?
Also it impossible to save images in folders with cyrillic names. Сan you fix it?

Viacheslav
Win 8.1 64bit, GTX780 Ti, i7-3660x, 32Gig RAM, 344.75, Inventor 2015, plugin v.2.16
Profius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:55 am

face_off Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:55 am
As always, RMB on model -> Visibslity. Checked it on many assemblies, it doesn't work for Octane.
I will fix the Visibility issue in the next release - which is probably 1-2 weeks away.

May be possible to determine it by the date when the file changed.
Octane is pulling geometry directly from Inventor - it does not cache the geometry. The loading of geometry into Inventor should be very quick, so if this is not the case, something is not right. In general, the triangulation tolerance of detail will determine the load speed, however there might be some other issue - so may I suggest you send me the inventor scene and I can track down the speed issue.

For example, the scene with 80 elements rendered by standard Raytrace about 15 minutes to an acceptable result. And the opening of the same scene in Octane takes 8-10 minutes plus minute to render.
8-10 minute is way too long - something is not right there - can you send me the scene pls. paul at physicalc-software dot com.

And what about threads and markings?
My understanding is that these are 2d elements rather than 3d elements. Octane requires 3d geometry to render - so 2d elements cannot be loaded into Octane.

Also it impossible to save images in folders with cyrillic names. Сan you fix it?
I will fix this in the next release.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Profius » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:55 am

Profius Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:55 am
can you send me the scene pls.

Ok, i'll send it to you.

My understanding is that these are 2d elements rather than 3d elements.

Maybe threads can be recognized as texture/material?

And now I can't render big scenes (around 900 elements). The error is shown below. It apear when Viewport is opening.
I tried to disable watchdog timer, but it doesn't help.
Attachments
Error4.PNG
Win 8.1 64bit, GTX780 Ti, i7-3660x, 32Gig RAM, 344.75, Inventor 2015, plugin v.2.16
Profius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 am

face_off Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 am
Hi Viacheslav

Maybe threads can be recognized as texture/material?
I don't think this would be possible - however in theory, it might be possible to convert threads to Octane hair strands. Octane hair works best for very thin strands with only a small amount of bend (ie. not tight bends). So it would depend on how "threads" are used in AutoCAD. If you have some sample uses using threads, pls send them to me and I will assess the viability of using Octane hair.

And now I can't render big scenes (around 900 elements). The error is shown below. It apear when Viewport is opening.
I tried to disable watchdog timer, but it doesn't help.
Firstly - have you checked FAQ question 2) at http://render.otoy.com/manuals/AutoCAD/?page_id=416? If you install the Octane 2.0 installer, it will set the right registry settings for you. Secondly, can you pls tell me your hardware setup (as requested in http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=40469). If you put your hardware settings in your forum signature, that helps a help.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Profius » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:57 pm

Profius Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:57 pm
Sample with thread you can see in attachment.

About FAQ - yes, I saw it. In registry I was find next settings: TdrLevel = 3, TdrDelay = 10.
With this settings plugin doesn't work. I have tried to change TdrDelay to 20, then to 50.
After that I have changed TdrLevel to 1 and it's still not successful.
Attachments
For test.rar
(60.24 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
Profius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:23 am

face_off Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:23 am
Ok, i'll send it to you.
Hi Viacheslav, I haven't received this file from you yet.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Inventor Beta 2.11.1 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:32 am

face_off Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:32 am
I have refreshed the installer at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled against Octane 2.11.1
- Added Highlight Compression to the Imager settings (see Standalone release notes for details)
- Changes to render passes as per Octane Standalone
- Added additional Color Correction node pins (see Standalone release notes for details)
- Added new Noise texture node (see Standalone release notes for details)
- Added additional kernel pin Static Noise (see Standalone release notes for details)
- Stopped the "Texture" node being transferred when changing the Environment node from Texture Environment to Daylight (and vise-versa)
- Added "Import from LocalDb" button on the Octane material tree menu which is the same is importing an ORBX, however the Load File dialog is shortcut to the Octane Local Db folder
- Add "Export to LocalDb" option to the Octane material tree to export the current material to the Octane Local Db
- See Standalone 2.10 release notes: Improved sampling in the direct lighting and path tracing kernels.
- See Standalone 2.10 release notes: Replaced the path termination strategy.
- See Standalone 2.10 release notes: Added new option "Coherent mode" to the direct lighting and path tracing kernels.- Addition of Render Passes to the Kernel, and addition of the Render Pass combo box to the Viewport
- Addition of option to save "EXR All Passes", which saves the image as a multilayer EXR with a layer for each enabled render pass
- More user-friendly pin names (these now match Octane Standalone)
- Fixed bug causing opening the viewport to be slightly delayed
- Added ability to save images to files/folders with special characters in them
- Fixed issue where the Inventor Ground plane was not being placed correctly in the Octane scene
- Inventor solids with Visibility disabled are no longer rendered in the OctaneRender Viewport

Inventor Threads : The Inventor API does not provide geometry for Threads, so these Inventor elements cannot be rendered in the plugin.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Profius » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:08 am

Profius Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:08 am
Hi Paul,

I haven't received this file from you yet.

I do not know why, but with a small assembly problem has disappeared. Maybe because of update.

But the problem with big assemblies is still present (error 702).
I tried to convert one of them in STEP for sending to you, but when I opened STEP file in Inventor, it rendered ok, unlike the original...
How can I solve this problem?

And I found few problems:

- ground plane recognised incorrect (you can see it in picture)
- assemblies with welding are invisible in viewport.

You can use attached files for testing this issues.

Viacheslav.
Attachments
Welding.rar
Inventor files
(864.18 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
Plane.rar
Inventor files
(409.93 KiB) Downloaded 845 times
Welding 3.PNG
Welding 2.PNG
Welding 1.PNG
Error when "Open viewport" is pressed
Plane.PNG
ground plane recognised incorrect
Profius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for Inventor Beta 2.11.1 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:50 am

face_off Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:50 am
But the problem with big assemblies is still present (error 702).
I tried to convert one of them in STEP for sending to you, but when I opened STEP file in Inventor, it rendered ok, unlike the original...
How can I solve this problem?
Can you pls send me one of the big assemblies causing this error and I will take a closer look.

- ground plane recognised incorrect (you can see it in picture)
This is because Octane assumes the Y axis is UP, and in your scene the Z axis is up. To resolve this, double click the View Cube Front, then rightclick "Set Current View As Top". Then reload the scene into Octane and the ground plane will match Inventor. You will need to rotate your part if you do this. Alternatively, place an Inventor plane to use as the ground plane.

- assemblies with welding are invisible in viewport.
Fixed in the next release.

EDIT: I noticed when I open those test scenes on Inventor English edition - the saved Octane materials have the localised name from your Inventor version, and Octane cannot name match to the localised name on my Inventor version, so it creates two materials (for example "Steel", and the version of "Steel" in your language). I was able to fix this with "Reconvert from Inventor" on the effected materials - however if it becomes an issue for you, pls let me know (You would get a Cuda error similar to "Can't connect node '?????' (NT_MAT_GLOSSY, 0000007658C32060) to static pin 'unknown' (P_UNKNOWN, type PT_UNKNOWN) of node '' (NT_UNKNOWN, 0000007657685650)").

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Inventor