Lock views

Forums: Lock views
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Lock views

Postby archimage » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:52 pm

archimage Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:52 pm
Hello,

I'd like to know how to lock views in order to keep the modifications obvious.

In architectural conception process updating the exact same rendered point of view is very frequent to see evolutions between different phases.

I know the simple answer, use Revit views. However some parameters are shared between the different views even if they need to be different on each view : Camera field of view, Sun position, Focus, Exposition, Post Production etc etc... I need to have them preset and fixed for each view to make comparisons between let's say View 1 and a variant of the project in View 1.

When I want to render a dozen of views for a project with variations, I have to manually reset each one's parameters to get the exact same image as rendered the day before, and it's never the exact same even with that, it involves a tremendous eyeballing and time consuming process to get each image with the exact same parameters which need to be different.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Lock views

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 am

face_off Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 am
I'm sorry, but I know know the answer to this question. Perhaps another Revit plugin user can assist?

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby archimage » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:26 am

archimage Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:26 am
I don't think any revit plugin can control octane's settings. I think I wasn't clear.

I want to assign a FOV / Exposure / Perspective correction settings per Camera.

Whenever I move these settings on Camera 2, I lose them on Camera 1, then it's impossible to work on a fixed view, everytime I export the PNG the image geometry is different, so I can't use it on a Photoshop workflow.

I would like each view to be set once for all, and not being altered by other views settings.
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:28 am

face_off Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:28 am
I would suggest using Revit Views in this case, but you have said that does not meet your requirements. If you save the rendertarget to the view, it should use an independent set of rendertarget settings for that view.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby archimage » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:21 pm

archimage Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:21 pm
Yes that's I actually already do.

However some parameters don't get stored for each view yet. Like camera angle for example, or post production parameters.

Camera angle is very crucial because it changes the proportion of the image in the png.

This involves a lot of time to remember and manually enter all the settings for each view and change them each time I want to make a batch of renders.

Actually batch rendering becomes impossible because of this tweaking on each view.
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:42 pm

face_off Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:42 pm
Have you tried enabling Viewport Navigation for a rendertarget saved to a View - that should save the camera position and angle. Postproc settings should also be saved when you save the rendertarget to the view.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby archimage » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:30 am

archimage Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:30 am
Now I understood what I was doing wrong, I wasn't saving the rendertarget to the view, but saving it to xml files. I didn't notice this option before thanks for everything Paul !

I still have two questions :

- Is there a way to make the octane viewport fit the revit camera accurately ? or render from elevation views ? It would be a very useful feature to make elevations texturing in order to mix between 2d drawing and 3d image on another program like photoshop.

- Would it be possible to make octane launch from any perspective view without going to the main 3d view ? I think it would be more convenient from user point of view.
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 am

face_off Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 am
- Is there a way to make the octane viewport fit the revit camera accurately ? or render from elevation views ? It would be a very useful feature to make elevations texturing in order to mix between 2d drawing and 3d image on another program like photoshop.
I think you would need to position the camera directly over the plan (ie. pointed down) and then enable Camera->Orthographic.

- Would it be possible to make octane launch from any perspective view without going to the main 3d view ? I think it would be more convenient from user point of view.
This should already happen with Revit 2019. Which version of Revit are you using please?

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Autodesk Revit