ORBX export to standalone - Update Geometry

Forums: ORBX export to standalone - Update Geometry
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

ORBX export to standalone - Update Geometry

Postby newmountain » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:39 pm

newmountain Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:39 pm
Hello, What is the best way to update geometry after exporting an initial ORBX file from REVIT to Octane Standalone?
Say you have spent some time developing a scene in Standalone, and the REVIT design changes.
Instead of starting over with a new ORBX export from REVIT, I just want to update the geometry / REVIT mesh.
Thanks! Jason
newmountain
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: ORBX export to standalone - Update Geometry

Postby newmountain » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:27 am

newmountain Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:27 am
Hello, I was able to update REVIT geometry in Standalone by exporting a new ORBX, then copy and pasting the new mesh into the original scene file.
Just had to re-pipe the material nodes. Is this the suggested way to update revit geometry in standalone or is their an obvious and automatic way I am overlooking?

Also are there any import / export units to be considered when exporting to standalone, or is this automatic? I work in inches in REVIT and have to scale up material sizes dramatically in standalone.

And, are there differences between exporting to ORBX vs OCS?

Thank You! Jason
newmountain
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: ORBX export to standalone - Update Geometry

Postby face_off » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:23 am

face_off Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:23 am
Is this the suggested way to update revit geometry in standalone or is their an obvious and automatic way I am overlooking?
Yes, this is the best way. There is probably saome LUA code you could write to automatically plugin in the materials (check the LUA forum here - it may have already been written).

Also are there any import / export units to be considered when exporting to standalone, or is this automatic? I work in inches in REVIT and have to scale up material sizes dramatically in standalone.
OctaneRender for Revit will convert the scene into meters when loading into Octane. This should also happen when exporting to OCS/ORBX.

And, are there differences between exporting to ORBX vs OCS?
ORBX is like a zip file containing the .OCS file and all the scene assets (texturemaps, obj files, etc).

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Autodesk Revit