Adding some relief to a brick texture for LiveDB

Forums: Adding some relief to a brick texture for LiveDB
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Adding some relief to a brick texture for LiveDB

Postby archimage » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:19 pm

archimage Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:19 pm
Hello,

I have a good brick pattern based on the live db materials which is named Materials/Organic/Stone/brick wall v1 , it's based on two simple pattern of 2 textures, very useful to control the colour of the joints.

The main goal to achieve is just to have the joints between the bricks extruded in the interior, preserving the brick on the surface, to get some relief.

If you have a clue on how to do this to this texture in particular i'd be grateful.

Thank you
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Adding some relief to a brick texture for LiveDB

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 pm

face_off Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 pm
You can do this by setting the Bump pins of both materials to an Invert, and then added a Greyscale Image to the Invert and assigning the "lad text var.jpg" texture to it. To increase the effect you could use a Color Correction between the Invert and the Greyscale Image and use values Gamma=0.7, Contrast=55. You could potentially add a Dirt node too.

Or, you could set the Material Mix Displacement node to a Displacement, and set the displacement Texture to a Greyscale image containing "lad text var.jpg" and tick Invert. You won't be able to use the Color Correction, Dirt or other adjustment nodes when using the displacement method though.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby archimage » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:14 pm

archimage Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:14 pm
Thanks ! It worked because after I realized that I had to scale the displacement, I've done this to the texture globally, but forgot about the displacement texture.
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby archimage » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:30 am

archimage Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:30 am
Hey Paul,

I'm interested in the dirt node, but how can I add it in each part of this material ? I mean two dirt patterns in Brick and joints separately .

Is there a tutorial to learn how to manage the nodes ? I don't really get how to add nodes without messing with the original structure of the material.

Thank you
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:57 am

face_off Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:57 am
You cannot add Dirt to the Displacement in the current release of Octane. You will need to add the dirt to the texturemap outside Octane. Pls see the Octane Notes link in my signature.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Autodesk Revit