Losing all materials

Forums: Losing all materials
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Losing all materials

Postby archimage » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:15 pm

archimage Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:15 pm
Hello,

I have a big problem which occurs randomly, and now it causes me a lot of pain.

Sometimes with no reason materials just get lost, and Revit materials are reset after the voxelisation process. Everytime it happens I get revert by going to an old save, but now I have saved just before the bug, and I can't recover my materials. Is there any explanation to this behaviour and any workaround to get my materials back ? It could save my a lot of time (I have an old file with the right materials)

Thank you
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Losing all materials

Postby Seekerfinder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Seekerfinder Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:05 pm
It's an old bug. We've tried to pinpoint it numerous times without success. One pretty sure way to have this happen is when the family editor is opened when the plugin is open. When this happens the plugin shuts down immediately and *sometimes* during the next session, the materials are gone. We manage it as follows:
1. Never (ever) open the family editor when the plugin is running
2. Save with new file names very often (pain with central models) so that you could revert to an earlier version without losing too much info
3. Build up a good favorites material lib so that when it does occur, it hurts less.

Please keep reporting these with log files. Paul has really tried to get this one and I'm sure it's just a matter of time...

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby archimage » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:41 pm

archimage Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:41 pm
Thanks Seeker

I opened modified a family and that's just what happened to me... It's kind of annoying, but I managed to export most of materials one by one from and older scene.

Cheers
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:04 pm

face_off Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:04 pm
Seeker explained the situation perfectly.

Archimage, what plugin version are you using pls?

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby archimage » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:21 pm

archimage Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:21 pm
Hi Paul, yes he explained well, now I try to avoid opening something else while i'm working, but accidents happen, yesterday I double clicked on a window and it has reset materials once again...

So I can confirm the workaround is saving file before opening anything else except the file you're working with.

Had to activate more incremental saves and export preset materials

I'm using 2.24.2.35 with Revit 2016
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:19 pm

face_off Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:19 pm
but accidents happen, yesterday I double clicked on a window and it has reset materials once again...
Did you save the log file? If I can see a log file from when it happens I can understand better how to fix the issue.

Or if you can tell me an exact set of step which always reproduces the problem, that will help too.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby archimage » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:03 am

archimage Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:03 am
Hey Paul, I have encountered the problem 3 times in three days, and now I have this window when I launch the Octane Plugin with all my recent files :

Exception in LoadAllOctaneInfoFromSceneSaveeData à System.String.substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) à OctaneRenderPlugin.HostManager.LoadAllViewsFromSceneSaveData(ElementIdviewElementId) à OctaneRenderPlugin.HostManager.LoadAllOctaneInfoFromSceneSaveData() L'index et la longueur doivent faire référence à un emplacement situé dans la chaîne. Nom du paramètre : length

And all of my files for this working day are bugged with this message, even autosaves, they all changed proxies scales and some alpha maps

I didn't think to save the log file because I did nothing exceptionnal before closing Revit, the bug happens when I open the files again. Is there an automatic logfile ?

Thank you.
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:56 am

face_off Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:56 am
Can you send me one of the files causing you this error pls? Email to paul at physicalc-software dot com.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby archimage » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:25 am

archimage Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:25 am
Sorry I didn't answer you because I had to meet a deadline monday.

You mean the revit file ? It's quite big, 550mb... The problem didn't appear these last days, and I forgot which one has done the problem (I changed a lot of times the file version) if it occurs again I'll send it to you.

Thanks Paul
archimage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Revit