Scatter Control

Forums: Scatter Control
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Scatter Control

Postby ebanta11053 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:23 pm

ebanta11053 Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:23 pm
Hi Paul - I have a model of several buildings on a large site where I've used PhantomScatter to place about 200 cars, 300 trees and lots of grass and flower instances. When I'm working with the building materials Octane will always render the scatter proxies which takes a lot of time to load and voxelize. The only way I can think of to speed up the process is to detach the CSV files from the proxy definition and then reload them which takes a whole lot of time and is not an effective work flow. I've tried using section boxes to isolate the building elements but the scattered proxies still render.

Is it possible to have a toggle or pin that I can turn on and off to control the scatter objects? It would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Ed
ebanta11053
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Scatter Control

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:01 am

face_off Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:01 am
Hi Ed - it may be easier for you to do this yourself. Instead of using an OBJ proxy, use an ORBX proxy containing the OBJ. Then you can just disconnect the Mesh node from the Geometry Out node to render without the proxies. To do this, open Octane Standalone, add an Output->Geometry Out node, add a Geometry->Mesh node (load your OBJ file into the Mesh node), connect the output of the mesh node to the Geometry Out node. Save as ORBX. Use that ORBX as your proxy. If you want to render without the proxy, disconnect the Mesh node from the Geometry Out node and save the ORBX (in Standalone), then open the viewport in Revit.

You could extend this concept to have ALL your different proxies and scatter nodes in a single ORBX, and adjust the ORBX in Standalone, then refresh the Viewport in Revit. At some point I will add an option to edit the ORBX directly from Revit.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Autodesk Revit