Exception in GetCurrentDocument

Forums: Exception in GetCurrentDocument
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Exception in GetCurrentDocument

Postby prehabitat » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:57 am

prehabitat Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:57 am
Hi Paul,

I received the following error:
Error.png

How it happened:
-Worksession #1; opened a new local from the WAN drive, once it had loaded did some work (minor things, moved a few walls and reanranges some signage families). Save, Sync, Close. (inc close revit)
-reinstalled the latest plugins & Standalone (SO)
-Worksession #2 having just installed the latest versions of the plugin and Octane SO. I'm the only one working on the file today so I just opened my local. I Opened up a view without reloading latest and quickly rendered a view. finished my other work, and hit save and got the error.

Workstation has:
Revit (building design suite version - inc. systems & structural): 2015 UR10 for R2
Octane: 2.24.2
O4Revit: 2.24.2.35
CPU: i7-4790 + 16gb RAM
GPU: Quadro K600 + NVidia 354.35 (Quadro performance)

is uninstall and clean reinstall 'good practice' for things like this?

also, on a side-note: is it possible to add a 'purge Octane from file' button somewhere? this could be helpful when you are asked to send files to external parties and do not want to send all your scene setup to them :)
but also, in cases like this it might let me sleep easier knowing the file doesn't have any 'nasties' in it that might affect the project... understand that I'm using the test version. :)
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Exception in GetCurrentDocument

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 am

face_off Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 am
-Worksession #2 having just installed the latest versions of the plugin and Octane SO. I'm the only one working on the file today so I just opened my local. I Opened up a view without reloading latest and quickly rendered a view. finished my other work, and hit save and got the error.
If you follow these same steps again, do you get the exception? When you got the exception, did the Revit file still save correctly?

s uninstall and clean reinstall 'good practice' for things like this?
Doubtful - shouldn't be required. The only time a reinstall is needed is if you install a new version of the plugin, and Revit was still resident in memory and holding a write lock on the octane.dll file (which in theory shouldn't be possible).

also, on a side-note: is it possible to add a 'purge Octane from file' button somewhere? this could be helpful when you are asked to send files to external parties and do not want to send all your scene setup to them :)
but also, in cases like this it might let me sleep easier knowing the file doesn't have any 'nasties' in it that might affect the project... understand that I'm using the test version.
The Octane data is tagged and encoded by the Revit API in the scene with a unique identifier, and it should be impossible for another plugin, or user to access that Octane info. So the only downside to leaving the Octane data in the scene would be filesize, and based on my (admittedly limited) experiments, the Octane data did not significantly increase the .rvt filesize. However it would be a good experiment to take a large .rvt with no Octane data, and open it, then the Octane plugin, then save as a new .rvt file and compare the filesizes to see the additional disk space used.

Regardless, yes, it should be possible to add a "purge" command, which I will investigate for the next release.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby prehabitat » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:30 am

prehabitat Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:30 am
If you follow these same steps again, do you get the exception? When you got the exception, did the Revit file still save correctly?
I'll check when I get into the office. Changes were committed to the central, so I assume it saved...

The Octane data is tagged and encoded by the Revit API in the scene with a unique identifier, and it should be impossible for another plugin, or user to access that Octane info. So the only downside to leaving the Octane data in the scene would be filesize, and based on my (admittedly limited) experiments, the Octane data did not significantly increase the .rvt filesize. However it would be a good experiment to take a large .rvt with no Octane data, and open it, then the Octane plugin, then save as a new .rvt file and compare the filesizes to see the additional disk space used.

Regardless, yes, it should be possible to add a "purge" command, which I will investigate for the next release.

Paul

My main concerns was protecting IP (ie time setting up scene, camera target settings saved to view, etc) if that's all inaccessible (by someone else using octane) then it's not necisarry to make a purge button. But I don't see how the unique ID system would work unless it wrote new octane data for each octane plugin instance that opened the file....

If this is the case perhaps I should do some tests on file size: could be an issue with multiple users working from local files syncing to a central...
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:02 pm

face_off Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:02 pm
I'll check when I get into the office. Changes were committed to the central, so I assume it saved...
I would be interested if you follow the same steps can you can reproduce the error. My guess is that Revit had some sort of random/rare issue and tried to save the scene and passed an invalid scene pointer to the Octane plugin.

My main concerns was protecting IP (ie time setting up scene, camera target settings saved to view, etc) if that's all inaccessible (by someone else using octane) then it's not necisarry to make a purge button. But I don't see how the unique ID system would work unless it wrote new octane data for each octane plugin instance that opened the file....
Anyone with the Octane plugin will be able to load your scene and see the Octane settings. So your IP is not protected in this instance. So yes, you would need a purge function to remove all the Octane settings.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Exception in GetCurrentDocument [SOLVED]

Postby prehabitat » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:56 am

prehabitat Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:56 am
Hi Paul, Great news,

I Couldn't repeat the error - I think you're right about it being a random Revit thing.
let me know your thoughts on viability of a Purge option.

Alternatively reconvert all Revit materials would do the trick; except for rendertarget settings: I suppose they could be purged easier?
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:31 am

face_off Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:31 am
I will add the Purge function in the next release.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Autodesk Revit