OctaneRender 3 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit 2.20 [TEST]

Postby Seekerfinder » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:27 am

Seekerfinder Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:27 am
face_off wrote:
...wait for the next release, and assign each light to a light pass...

Can't wait!
Paul, do you know if we'll be able to toggle these right inside of the plugin - perhaps under the post tab? It would be great if we don't need to export to a 3d party app to see the benefits of multilight.

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:34 am

face_off Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:34 am
The light passes are accessed from the Render Passes pins within the plugin.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:09 am

Seekerfinder Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:09 am
face_off wrote:The light passes are accessed from the Render Passes pins within the plugin.

Paul

Great! Thanks Paul.
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit 2.21.1 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:32 pm

face_off Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:32 pm
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with Octane 2.21.1
- Added Light Passes (you can now assign a Light Pass to each Emitter, and then view each light pass as a Render Pass).
- Added Out-of-Core Textures to the Devices tab - where texturemaps can now be stored in CPU/Motherboard RAM if graphic card VRAM is full. Enabling this sets the RAM limit to your total RAM amount.
- Added "Cube Map" project type to the Spherical Camera
- You can now adjust the new Focal Length slider in the Thinlens Camera to adjust the Aperture
- Added *.TGA to the image file types support for Image, Alpha Image and Float Image nodes

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Seekerfinder Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:19 pm
face_off wrote:I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Added Light Passes (you can now assign a Light Pass to each Emitter, and then view each light pass as a Render Pass).
- Added Out-of-Core Textures to the Devices tab - where texturemaps can now be stored in CPU/Motherboard RAM if graphic card VRAM is full. Enabling this sets the RAM limit to your total RAM amount.
- You can now adjust the new Focal Length slider in the Thinlens Camera to adjust the Aperture
- Added *.TGA to the image file types support for Image, Alpha Image and Float Image nodes

Paul

Thanks Paul!
And for the TGA image types.

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sonnemanntoon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:47 am

Sonnemanntoon Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:47 am
face_off wrote:I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

Paul

Great, thanks Paul, and thanks for the earlier advice on lighting and textures, will look into it all today
Sonnemanntoon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sonnemanntoon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Sonnemanntoon Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:44 pm
face_off wrote:
My default lighting in the scene is pretty strong and there are also a number of emissive textures (the recessed lights at the top of the walls) + natural lighting.
I suspect all those lighting in the side and middle of the ceiling are high-polygon Revit family geometry items and will not be ideal as emitter geometry for Octane and render with a lot of noise. In this case, you might be better turning the emission right down on those objects, and add a new object - being a single polygon for the whole ceiling - which you set opacity to 0 and set up as an emitter. This should give a much less grainy render.

What do you mean here? As in create a single shape that would be the emitter? But then the lights wouldn't look like lights anymore no? They would be dark.
Thanks
Sonnemanntoon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Seekerfinder Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:03 pm
Sonnemanntoon wrote:
face_off wrote:
My default lighting in the scene is pretty strong and there are also a number of emissive textures (the recessed lights at the top of the walls) + natural lighting.
I suspect all those lighting in the side and middle of the ceiling are high-polygon Revit family geometry items and will not be ideal as emitter geometry for Octane and render with a lot of noise. In this case, you might be better turning the emission right down on those objects, and add a new object - being a single polygon for the whole ceiling - which you set opacity to 0 and set up as an emitter. This should give a much less grainy render.

What do you mean here? As in create a single shape that would be the emitter? But then the lights wouldn't look like lights anymore no? They would be dark.
Thanks

I think what Paul means here is keep the lights but reduce their emitter output and make a new shape like the ceiling you now have, make the geometry invisible (0 opacity) and give it emission properties. Also make sure that only the face of the light fitting emits light.

Architectural lighting could be tricky with rendering applications so it's best to experiment a bit. What I have done in the past is add a simple shape (square or round) which I made the emitter and placed it inside my lumnaire, which has no an emitter material. It will render more slowly than Paul's suggestion but faster than yours and with less grain. Hope that makes sense...

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:23 pm

face_off Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:23 pm
Good point Seeker. On your scene Sonnemanntoon, assign the round lights to a pass, and the long lights to another, and render separate light passes to find out which lights are causing the noise. My guess is that it is the round lights. If so - are you assigning an IES light to the distribution of the round lights? http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=79

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sonnemanntoon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:39 am

Sonnemanntoon Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:39 am
face_off wrote:Good point Seeker. On your scene Sonnemanntoon, assign the round lights to a pass, and the long lights to another, and render separate light passes to find out which lights are causing the noise. My guess is that it is the round lights. If so - are you assigning an IES light to the distribution of the round lights? http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=79

Paul

How do you actually assign lights to passes?
Yes I am using Ies lights for both the round and long lights
Thanks
Sonnemanntoon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit