OctaneRender 3 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.12.1 [TEST]

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:21 am

Seekerfinder Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:21 am
face_off wrote:I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Added ability to set a proxy as the default for a specific family (via new Set and Unset buttons on the Geometry Proxy Details form). This has had minimal testing, so pls use of non-production scenes until you are comfortable it is working correctly
- Added additional error checking to the "Animate Walkthrough" process

Thanks

Paul

That's jolly good Paul! Will give it a go as soon as I wake up.

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Seekerfinder Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:57 pm
face_off wrote:I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Added ability to set a proxy as the default for a specific family (via new Set and Unset buttons on the Geometry Proxy Details form). This has had minimal testing, so pls use of non-production scenes until you are comfortable it is working correctly
- Added additional error checking to the "Animate Walkthrough" process

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

At first testing, this works great! Thanks again. I've had a few minor issues but I'll test a bit more before giving further feedback.

Right up top the wishlist right now...
A) Option for random rotation
B) Option for random scale variation range

Thanks again Paul - it's a critical enhancement.

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:34 am

face_off Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:34 am
Hi Hendrik. Are you talking about random rotation/scale of Revit host objects? If this is the case, it is out of the scope of the Octane plugin - since you are looking for is a script to modify Revit objects. Rotation (in the UP axis) of the host object currently gets applied to the proxies, but scaling doesn't (and I would need to modify the plugin to cater for this).

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:44 am

Seekerfinder Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:44 am
face_off wrote:
Hi Hendrik. Are you talking about random rotation/scale of Revit host objects? If this is the case, it is out of the scope of the Octane plugin - since you are looking for is a script to modify Revit objects. Rotation (in the UP axis) of the host object currently gets applied to the proxies, but scaling doesn't (and I would need to modify the plugin to cater for this).

Paul

Hi Paul,
No, I meant the obj / proxies in the plugin. Just like we can specify a scale / rotation value per instance currently, what I would like to see is a function in the plugin to randomly rotate and randomly scale (within a user-specified variance range), all instances of the selected proxy.

Currently, if we place trees for instance, they're all the exact same size/rotation and we'd have to manually scale & rotate them to get them to look natural.

Hope that makes sense now.

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:14 am

face_off Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:14 am
No, I meant the obj / proxies in the plugin. Just like we can specify a scale / rotation value per instance currently, what I would like to see is a function in the plugin to randomly rotate and randomly scale (within a user-specified variance range), all instances of the selected proxy.

Currently, if we place trees for instance, they're all the exact same size/rotation and we'd have to manually scale & rotate them to get them to look natural.
The plugin should take the Y (up) rotation of a proxy directly from the host object. So all you need to do is randomly rotate the proxy host objects. Having the plugin randomly set the rotation of the proxy OBJ will not work because you might have to rotate the proxy first in order to get it upright. The Revit host object rotation is applied /after/ the rotation in the Proxy settings - and that is were you need to add your "randomness".

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:00 am

face_off Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:00 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Fixed Windows localization issue with the "Animate Walkthrough" process
- Fixed issue where the walkthrough animation camera position was "shacky"
- Fixed issue where closing the Viewport whilst rendering a walkthrough did not stop the walkthrough render process

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:21 am

Seekerfinder Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:21 am
face_off wrote:

The plugin should take the Y (up) rotation of a proxy directly from the host object. So all you need to do is randomly rotate the proxy host objects. Having the plugin randomly set the rotation of the proxy OBJ will not work because you might have to rotate the proxy first in order to get it upright. The Revit host object rotation is applied /after/ the rotation in the Proxy settings - and that is were you need to add your "randomness".

Paul

Hi Paul,
The problem with "all you need to do is randomly rotate the proxy host objects" as you suggest is that it is a very time-intensive exercise. We would have to change both scale and rotation parameters for EACH instance - that is a lot of work for trees or other foliage.

Yes, the Revit host object could be adjusted after the rotation in the proxy settings (retaining this functionality and being able to change the Revit host properties after the fact to tweak things will still be beneficial for individual objects). So here's the request:
Have an option adjacent to each of the size and rotation parameters to set a 'random variation' value - if it's zero, the proxy object respects only the entered field data (which solves the Xfrog X=270deg anomaly issue). If a value is entered (say a percentage) then that placement value is adjusted for the relevant factor.

This would help a lot!

Here is a screen-shot of what we get currently without manual rotation:
TREE-SOLDIERS.png
Tree soldiers

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 pm

face_off Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 pm
The problem with "all you need to do is randomly rotate the proxy host objects" as you suggest is that it is a very time-intensive exercise.

Hendrik - does https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/HelpDoc?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com:randomizerv004:en&mode=live do what you need?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Seekerfinder Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:16 pm
face_off wrote:
The problem with "all you need to do is randomly rotate the proxy host objects" as you suggest is that it is a very time-intensive exercise.

Hendrik - does https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/HelpDoc?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com:randomizerv004:en&mode=live do what you need?

Paul

Hi Paul,
I missed your reply before for some reason... Thanks. Will have a look at the app and report back but it looks like it might do the trick.

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Seekerfinder Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:57 pm
ORBX proxy issue.
Revit 2014, Win 8.0, Plugin version: 2.12.1.18

Hi Paul,
I tried importing an ORBX file for the fist time and got the error below (dump file also included). I note your requirement:
face_off wrote:The ORBX file must have one single unconnected Mesh node in order for the inport to work.

Does that mean it can not be attached even to a render target node? I guess this would make sense. Will try it without the render target node.

Best,
Seeker

PS: It would be useful if you update the manual when you get a chance - between the 517 other manuals you have to keep abreast of...

UPDATE: Removing the render target node did not help.
Also, please note that the mesh file is an alembic / .abc file, not an OBJ file - could this be a current limitation of the plugin? If so, could you remove the limitation to include alembic files?

UPDATE 2: It seems like it might be unrelated to the alembic file issue as I also now tried an ORBX file containing only a singe OBJ mesh file with no nodes.

ORBX LOAD ISSUE.jpg

orbx import dump.txt
(18.44 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit