OctaneRender 3 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.12.1 [TEST]

Postby Seekerfinder » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Seekerfinder Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:38 pm
face_off wrote:
I sent you one of the files I'm battling with on the import. I would appreciate if you could take a look - it would be great if you could get it to work.
Seeker - the ORBX you sent me has the geometry in an ABC (Scene) node rather than a Mesh node. The ORBX file must have one single unconnected Mesh node in order for the import to work.

Dang! I thought we might get away with these alembic files... Do you know if there is a way to simplify such a file to allow the ORBX import into the plugin?

face_off wrote:
1. The following controls seem to have no effect on the displacement node: power / gamma / invert
That is correct - pls see the Displacement notes in the link in my signature below.
Ok, I can see it says that these nodes are ignored but why is that? Is it a Standalone limitation? Being able to invert a displacement map reference file without reverting to Photoshop would be nice.

face_off wrote:
2. The colour picker does not remember custom colours added at all.
This is a known issue. At some point I will integrate a better color picker.
Would appreciate that, thanks Paul.

face_off wrote:
I like the fact that changes/tweaks made to any of the slider settings are applied without pressing enter or a button. However, it's a bit annoying that when I enter a point for a decimal value, the render window responds 'at that moment' - i.e. before I can even type my full .05 value (displacement is a typical example which lets you sometime wonder what's going on here?). One day when one of your toddlers is bored, ask him or her to just put a small delay (even 1000ms) after typing the first number before the render window gets updated. I know it's a small thing but it would be nice.
I agree. It would actually be better to send the change to Octane after the user presses Enter or Tab - however because in some cases there is no other edit control in the Setup window to move the cursor focus to, Windows is blocking the sending of the Enter/Tab event. I will revisit this to see if there is a solution.
Thanks Paul.

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Seekerfinder Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:41 pm
face_off wrote:
Yes.
At a guess I would say the Displacement Amount value was set to something (momentarily?) which crashed Octane.

Paul

I don't think so, Paul. Not at that moment at least. Yes, I was playing with displacement amounts a short while before but all seemed stable until I saved.

So is there something we can do to prevent these kind of crashes? I mean, obviously we need to experiment with displacement values.

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:31 am

face_off Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:31 am
So is there something we can do to prevent these kind of crashes? I mean, obviously we need to experiment with displacement values.
You'll need to talk to the Octane devs on this one - but they are aware of it.

Do you know if there is a way to simplify such a file to allow the ORBX import into the plugin?
You would probably need to load the ABC file into something like Modo and export out to OBJ from there.

Ok, I can see it says that these nodes are ignored but why is that? Is it a Standalone limitation? Being able to invert a displacement map reference file without reverting to Photoshop would be nice.
This is an Octane limitation.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:53 am

Seekerfinder Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:53 am
face_off wrote:
You'll need to talk to the Octane devs on this one - but they are aware of it.

Do you know if there is a way to simplify such a file to allow the ORBX import into the plugin?
You would probably need to load the ABC file into something like Modo and export out to OBJ from there.

This is an Octane limitation.

Paul

Ok, thanks Paul.

Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.13 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:32 pm

face_off Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:32 pm
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with 2.13. See the Octane Standalone 2.13 release notes for important changes made in this release
- IMPORTANT: Requires Cuda driver 344.x or later
- Fixed instance where deleted proxy hosts will still have their proxy OBJ files rendered
- If the configuration file becomes corrupt, the plugin gives an option to the user to return it to default settings
- Added new color picker dialog
- Float and Int edit boxes do not set the Octane value now until you press Enter or Tab

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Seekerfinder Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:05 pm
Hi Paul,

I have the following issues with the latest build (2.13.0.20):
1. ORBX files still don't load - even simple ones - see attachment below.
2. If I associate a Revit family with an OBJ model, set it to default and later remove just the reference of the selected Revit object, it does it, but then, if associate another OBJ model with that Revit object, it 'sees' the older model's materials in Octane's material picker... I know this because the materials names are incorrect and are associated with the older model. It's like a 'purge' of some kind is needed.
EDIT on #2: This is interesting. If another Revit family which is a proxy element is selected, the material picker seems to reference that model's materials. I deselected it and it then correctly identified the relevant OBJ proxy materials. But... life is never simple, and when I kept on trying to change materials on the imported OBJ, the plugin stoppped recognizing one of them (it just did not change the material in the plugin materials tab). Then, the error shown in the bottom image. Nothing crashed, it's just broken.
EDIT 2: See my post below - sorry if I'm causing confusion here! But, I still got that error notice and I guess it's a bit confusing if an element is selected in Revit the colour picker seems not to work without any warning. I'd also appreciate if you could consider the request in my post below. Now perhaps I need to get some sleep...
3. The new material picker looks nice but as I reported before, it was the 'save to favourites' or copy option in the previous one that was broken. I would like to be able to revert back to a previous colour when I make changes or reference another colour in the model without having to write down RGB codes manually which is a bit of a schlep,
4. I meant to report this before, the camera aperture slider is a little bit broken - small thing.

Revit 2014
Windows 8
Driver: 344.48

Best,
Seeker

ORBX SIMPLE.jpg

ERROR ON OBJ PROXY MATERIAL CHANGE.jpg
Last edited by Seekerfinder on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Seekerfinder Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:29 pm
Paul,

Notwithstanding the error I just reported, I would like to request that the material we pick actually gives accent to the ACTUAL material we picked, even if it is nested in a proxy model. So, if we use the colour picker on a proxy, the 'selection materials' gives this drop-down box with all the object's materials, which we then have to go search for. I would really appreciate if you could give accent to the relevant material that we don't need to go hunt for it, which is a but unintuitive.

Cheers,
Seeker

EDIT: Oo, my bad - looks like I'm on a roll here... So the 'selection materials' have always only been available if an object in Revit is selected, of course. So to rephrase the request... would it be at all possible to (in addition to having the drop down list) also have the colour picker give accent to the actual colour being picked in the render VP?

HIDDEN COLOURS.jpg
Last edited by Seekerfinder on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Seekerfinder Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:39 pm
face_off wrote:I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with 2.13. See the Octane Standalone 2.13 release notes for important changes made in this release
- IMPORTANT: Requires Cuda driver 344.x or later
- Fixed instance where deleted proxy hosts will still have their proxy OBJ files rendered
- If the configuration file becomes corrupt, the plugin gives an option to the user to return it to default settings
- Added new color picker dialog
- Float and Int edit boxes do not set the Octane value now until you press Enter or Tab

Paul

Paul,
Thanks for the new build, particularly requirement to press enter/tab for confirming changes - just a small comment here... every time I press enter after changing a value I get that "you have err'd" system sound which is rather off putting. Please make it go away.
Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:01 pm

Seekerfinder Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:01 pm
Paul,
Another hopefully minor request. The plugin 'controls' window is always visible over the Revit window. But not over it's render window - can we not have it always visible there too?

Here's my motivation: I work with 2 screens - Revit on one and he plugin render window on the other, using pretty much the whole monitor. Having the plugin controls in my regular Revit work space is invasive and Revit needs all the real estate it can get. So I sometimes move the Octane controls window to the plugin monitor. But, whenever I select anything on the render window (like the material picker), the 'controls window' disappears behind it. What I would like to see is the following:
1. Controls window always on top of all other windows (unless it's minimized);
2. The option to dock the controls to the side of the render window - or even have it stuck there permanently so that I don't have THREE windows to control whenever I work in Revit.

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:39 pm

face_off Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:39 pm
1. ORBX files still don't load - even simple ones - see attachment below.
Seeker - can you pls send me an ORBX file you are trying to load.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit