OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.12.1 [STABLE]

Postby Seekerfinder » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Seekerfinder Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:14 pm
andredms wrote:
Seekerfinder wrote:Usually, there is some level difference between a pad and an undulating site (and all sites are undulating to some degree or another). What confused me about your post is that there seemed not be any level difference between the two, so it was hard to distinguish between the site and pad.

The building pad almost never have the same materials as the toposurface site, because a building pad is equivalent to the building foundation, is the flat foundation used to construct the building over it - and it can't be made of grass.

The scene shown in the pictures and on the submitted file to Paul have a flat toposurface and a single material (no subregions configured). If your building pad is large enough, this effect will diminish, but not go away - to see it clearly, you must have to do a small building pad away from the edges of a flat toposurface.

Andre,
I thought you had a pad around your floor... However, the material of the pad seems to be irrelevant in trying to reproduce your issue. Below is another image of a 1x1M building pad (how small should I go?) with a different material on a level topo surface. No issues here.

Paul,
There seems to be some fall-off going on in Andre's scene(?) Would be a nice feature if you can tame it!

Seeker
Attachments
PAD-MATERIAL 2.jpg
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:54 pm

andredms Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:54 pm
Seekerfinder wrote:I thought you had a pad around your floor...

It seems obvious you're not an architect, are you sure that in your picture is a building pad instead of a floor? In my system I can't do it, the displacement vanishes completely, as in the pictures sent before. The building pad on the orbx file have about 700mm on the sides, but the problem shows more or less on buildings with more that 25 metres of continuous foundation.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Seekerfinder Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:30 pm
andredms wrote:
Seekerfinder wrote:I thought you had a pad around your floor...

It seems obvious you're not an architect,

And that would be because...
a) Architects know Revit better than building technologists (or anybody else that might use Revit);
b) Architects understand building technology better than all building technologists (or anybody else that might use Revit);
c) Architects know the difference between what a building pad and a floor in Revit looks like. In perspective view. Rendered in Octane.
Actually, scrap 'c' because if it were true you would not make such a comment.
Seriously Andre, try to not make obnoxious remarks when people are trying to help you.
andredms wrote:...are you sure that in your picture is a building pad instead of a floor?

Yes, it's building pad...

andredms wrote:In my system I can't do it, the displacement vanishes completely, as in the pictures sent before. The building pad on the orbx file have about 700mm on the sides, but the problem shows more or less on buildings with more that 25 metres of continuous foundation.

25 meters? You said small pads(?)
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:47 pm

andredms Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:47 pm
Paul,

Please let me know if there are any relevant news about this issue, I'm in a hurry.

Thank you,
Regards.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:30 pm

face_off Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:30 pm
The Octane devs believe it is related to the scale of the UV coordinates (you can see the Displacement map is repeating many times for that surface). However they will need to wait for Karba to return from his break to do any further analysis.

I was able to get it working by:

- Set Subdivision level to 1 and subdivision sharpness to 11 and click the reload button for the mesh
- Set the height of the displacement to 0.1

The above only works for Octane Standalone (since the Revit plugin does not provide Subd controls).

This indicates that if you are able to get Revit to generate more polygons for the topo surface, it may fix the issue. To do this Edit Surface the topo surface in Revit, and then Place Point many times. This will effectively add polygons to the topo geometry, and may resolve your issue.

Alternatively, you could try to increase the size of the displacement map in photoshop, then use a larger scale in the displacement. Not sure if that would help or not.

Paul
Attachments
grass displacement.png
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 am

andredms Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 am
face_off wrote:The Octane devs believe it is related to the scale of the UV coordinates (you can see the Displacement map is repeating many times for that surface). However they will need to wait for Karba to return from his break to do any further analysis.

Thank you Paul for your attention on this,

It's beautiful when it works - intriguing is the fact that only the building pad does it.
I will try increasing the topo ref. points, but will also be waiting any further development on this.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:20 am

andredms Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:20 am
It's very difficult to get an acceptable result adding more topo ref points, you need a lot of them and on large areas it's impossible do to - if I increase the displacement height, certain areas get severely distorted, the displacement effect shows augmented with orders of magnitude. I cannot get good results using the standalone settings either.

I will be waiting a definite answer on this issue.
Thank you.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:54 am

face_off Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:54 am
I cannot get good results using the standalone settings either.
If you set the subd settings as I documented above in Octane Standalone, you should get acceptable results.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:33 pm

andredms Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:33 pm
face_off wrote:If you set the subd settings as I documented above in Octane Standalone, you should get acceptable results.

disp_test_h0.001.jpg

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. The only subdivision config I found (v2.06) is under the "preferences > geometry import", I set both for OBJ and Alembic, the mentioned parameters and reloaded the meshes. If I configure displacement height to 0.1, the screen goes blank, as the leaves block all - the pic above is using the height of 0.001.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:33 pm

andredms Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:33 pm
Another findings about the displacement issue, maybe it could help isolate the problem:

disp_test_floor_and_bp_01.jpg

> This picture shows a grass texture with displacement height of 0.0001 applied at a toposurface, a floor object with the same grass material applied, and a building pad with a concrete material. The floor object clearly shows no displacement at all, and it is clearly visible the differences of displacement height across the toposurface;

disp_test_floor_and_bp_02.jpg

> Same as above picture, but this time the building pad does not touch the toposurface;

disp_test_floor_without_bp_h0.0001.jpg

> This time with no building pad, displacement height still at 0.0001 - the floor object is still under the grass, but without any displacement effect, it disappears below;

disp_test_floor_without_bp_h0.00003.jpg

> Same as above, but displacement height at 0.00003 - this confirms that the same material shows no displacement when applied to this floor object;

disp_test_floor_without_bp_h0.0005.jpg

> Same as above, displacement height at 0.0005, just for comparison;
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit