OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.01 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:11 am

face_off Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:11 am
http://www.bdcnetwork.com/hyper-speed-rendering-how-gensler-turns-bim-models-beauty-shots-seconds
From my discussions with Mark Bassett in the past, they are not using proxies at all. But definitely worth talking to him directly for specifics.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.01 [TEST]

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:12 am

Seekerfinder Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:12 am
andredms wrote:
face_off wrote: I'm happy to enhance the proxy system - but the requirements you have outlined are too complex to be able to be implemented within a reasonable amount of effort.

Paul

I'm not just a LEED architect, I worked 20 years as an engineer for Sun Microsystems systems, and yes, I done a lot of coding myself. This is a trivial thing to implement, I'm sure.

So, to use this plugin, I have to do thousands of manual, old style proxy substitutions, one by one, because you cannot implement a half line of code?

Hi Andre,
It sounds like you know your stuff. I have an idea for you (thank me later). Why don't you write a little plugin for us. With architecture being what it is - volatile I tell ya! - you'll earn a little on the side. Actually, because there's such a need for this feature, you might earn quite a lot in fact. There's the Autodesk store. With all your experience and that half a line of code it should be a breeze for you (maybe you even use LUA?). I tell you, I will buy it. $20? I'm in. $50? You rascal, you! But ok, I need it.

Else, I agree that Maxwell is a brilliant piece of software. Just brilliant. It's a little on the slow side but it's all swings & roundabouts & all that jazz.

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.03 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:40 pm

face_off Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:40 pm
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled against Octane 2.03, which fixes a number of displacement mapping issues
- Enabling Perspective Correction now forces the Up vector to be 0, 1, 0, which enables perspective correction to render correctly
- Added new button "R" (for Replicate) to copy the current proxy info to all family instances of the same name in the scene. This has had limited testing to date, so pls use with caution, and backup the Revit scene prior to use.
- Maximum scatter instances increased from 10000 to 50000

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:17 am

Seekerfinder Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:17 am
face_off wrote:I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled against Octane 2.03, which fixes a number of displacement mapping issues
- Enabling Perspective Correction now forces the Up vector to be 0, 1, 0, which enables perspective correction to render correctly
- Added new button "R" (for Replicate) to copy the current proxy info to all family instances of the same name in the scene. This has had limited testing to date, so pls use with caution, and backup the Revit scene prior to use.
- Maximum scatter instances increased from 10000 to 50000

Paul

A few great improvements, will give it a spin. thanks Paul.

Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:04 pm

andredms Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:04 pm
I got some great renderings, even on Revit. Thank you, the proxy replication is implemented on an elegant way. I will try it on some big projects.

For a better bim integration on a future release, maybe to implement a "default" button, like one to the materials, so the replication could be automated. This will streamline the proxy operation and documentation into the bim environment.

I want to suggest another improvement to the plugin, maybe extensible to other plugin platforms: to be able to specify scattering into the surfaces of a given material. Now, when a surface is selected, the plugin shows a "not an object" message on the button reserved for proxy selection. This same button could be used to configure scattering into the surfaces covered with the selected material, with scattering options accessible using that same button.

I think this scattering tool would be so amazing to use, certainly will improve a lot the usability and purpose of the Octane workflow into the client applications, making the plugin platform of the Octane a not easy match to any current rendering platform.

Thank you for attention.
Regards.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:56 pm

andredms Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:56 pm
I'm experiencing a issue with the materials: the modified/added materials of a linked project does not appear into the plugin scene materials list, and the linked object is rendered with a default material. How to make the update of scene or selection materials?
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 pm

face_off Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 pm
For a better bim integration on a future release, maybe to implement a "default" button, like one to the materials, so the replication could be automated. This will streamline the proxy operation and documentation into the bim environment.
This is on the "long term" list.

I want to suggest another improvement to the plugin, maybe extensible to other plugin platforms: to be able to specify scattering into the surfaces of a given material. Now, when a surface is selected, the plugin shows a "not an object" message on the button reserved for proxy selection. This same button could be used to configure scattering into the surfaces covered with the selected material, with scattering options accessible using that same button.

I think this scattering tool would be so amazing to use, certainly will improve a lot the usability and purpose of the Octane workflow into the client applications, making the plugin platform of the Octane a not easy match to any current rendering platform.
The version of what you describe above is in the ArchiCAD plugin I developed for Octane - but there were complexities integrating that solution for Revit which prevented it making the beta version. Have you looked at Phantom Scatter? It does a great job of generating scatter transforms. I haven't tried it with Revit yet - perhaps Seekfinder has?

I'm experiencing a issue with the materials: the modified/added materials of a linked project does not appear into the plugin scene materials list, and the linked object is rendered with a default material. How to make the update of scene or selection materials?
I have added some info to the manual to better explain this. http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=561

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:38 am

andredms Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:38 am
face_off wrote:I have added some info to the manual to better explain this. http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=561

Paul

The new material is into the "scene materials", but when I select the linked model, this material do not show into the "selection materials". This happens after the linked model is modified.

Into the linked model, was created a new material, and it was applied to a wall. The new material was also made into the Revit favorites. After open the main model again, the new material was imported from favorites (it was rendered into the Revit viewport before that, but wasn't into the model materials list).

The Octane viewport shows a default material where to be the new material, and the new material does not appear into the "selection materials", but is into the "scene materials" (linked model selected). Using the material picker into the viewport (new material area) returns nothing on the materials tab.

I can't solve this problem - I try to link again the model from another file, and several other actions, but the new material never get into the "selection materials".
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:39 am

face_off Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:39 am
I can't solve this problem - I try to link again the model from another file, and several other actions, but the new material never get into the "selection materials".
Would it be possible to send me the master and linked file pls? Or a cut down version which demonstrates the problem? Then I can take a closer look and what might be causing the issue.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:38 am

Seekerfinder Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:38 am
face_off wrote: Have you looked at Phantom Scatter? It does a great job of generating scatter transforms. I haven't tried it with Revit yet - perhaps Seekfinder has?

Hi Paul,
I'm not going to be of much use here I'm afraid. I did play with it quite a while ago but haven't used it for a long while now. The new version looks good so I'd like to give it another bash.

Best,
Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit