OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.12.1 [STABLE]

Postby andredms » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:39 pm

andredms Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:39 pm
Still about the second example of the previous post, I found this:

disp_test_floor_and_bp_02_revit.jpg

This is how an elevated (above ground by offset) building pad looks like in Revit

disp_test_floor_and_bp_02a.jpg

and this is how the same scene looks rendered. The way this algorithm works could be related to the issue with the displacement rendering.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:46 pm

face_off Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:46 pm
The only subdivision config I found (v2.06) is under the "preferences > geometry import"
You need to use 2.16 - since there have been displacement mapping fixes applied after 2.06.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:46 pm

andredms Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:46 pm
face_off wrote:
The only subdivision config I found (v2.06) is under the "preferences > geometry import"
You need to use 2.16 - since there have been displacement mapping fixes applied after 2.06.

Paul

Thank you Paul,

Now that's beautiful - I got perfect results with 2.16 on my specific scene (another one) with 0.02 height of the grass. Just waiting for this to happen inside the Revit plugin.

Merry Christmas to you and all the team.
Regards.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.16 [STABLE]

Postby face_off » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:52 pm

face_off Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:52 pm
I have updated the STABLE version links at the top of this thread to the latest TEST version (2.16.0.23).

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit 2.16 [STABLE]

Postby thefishnut » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:50 am

thefishnut Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:50 am
Hi Paul,
Have been testing out the save to defaults orbx feature quite a lot and it seems to be working great. The only bug I have found so far is when making a change to an already saved to default orbx material, and re-saving to default. A error occurs and the original orbx file seems to loose its embedded textures, as the file size reduces to about 15KB.
Other than that so far it is working great :)

Many Thanks.
Win 8 64 | 2 x Geforce GTX780 6gb | i7 4790k | 32GB
thefishnut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 pm

face_off Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 pm
Have been testing out the save to defaults orbx feature quite a lot and it seems to be working great. The only bug I have found so far is when making a change to an already saved to default orbx material, and re-saving to default. A error occurs and the original orbx file seems to loose its embedded textures, as the file size reduces to about 15KB.
Other than that so far it is working great
I can reproduce this issue - so will try to find a solution. The workaround for the moment is to "Save as Default" with the Viewport CLOSED.

EDIT: Closing the Viewport still does not result in the ORBX being updated. At this stage you cannot update the default if there is already a default. I will need to investigate this in more detail....

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:48 am

face_off Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:48 am
Other than that so far it is working great
I have been talking to Otoy about using the ORBX format for storing "Default" materials - and there are some complexities with this strategy which are of concern. For example, if you have a default ORBX material containing a texturemap, if you copy the rvt file to another PC - you will need to also copy the default ORBX files (since the texturemaps used in the .rvt reference texturemaps inside the ORBX files). I think this is going to be confusing to users - particularly where you have saved a "Default" which contains a texturemap from the Revit materials library - which would exist on other PC's with Revit installed. Plus, once you have saved a default for a material, there is no way to edit and resave that ORBX (for technical reasons that I won't bore you with). The above issues exist with the LocalDb too on Octane Standalone (ie. once you have saved a material to the LocalDb, you cannot update it and re-save to the same LocalDb name).

So I think the best solution is to change the "default" material save format from ORBX to OCS. With OCS files the texturemaps are on your filesystem, so you can manage where they are stored and ensure they are copied onto other PC's when the .rvt is copied. Plus the OCS format is "future-proof" for any changes make to the Octane node structure and when loaded Octane will automatically convert the nodes form the Octane version they were saved in to the current Octane version of the plugin.

Happy to explain/discuss if people have questions...

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby prehabitat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:12 pm

prehabitat Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:12 pm
face_off wrote:So I think the best solution is to change the "default" material save format from ORBX to OCS. With OCS files the texturemaps are on your filesystem, so you can manage where they are stored and ensure they are copied onto other PC's when the .rvt is copied. Plus the OCS format is "future-proof" for any changes make to the Octane node structure and when loaded Octane will automatically convert the nodes form the Octane version they were saved in to the current Octane version of the plugin.

Happy to explain/discuss if people have questions...

So once everyone has a chance to review & comment (presuming it doesn't present any unseen issues) the default system in the Stable & Test version will be switched to OCS?
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:30 pm

face_off Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:30 pm
So once everyone has a chance to review & comment (presuming it doesn't present any unseen issues) the default system in the Stable & Test version will be switched to OCS?
Yes - I will release a new TEST version today, and if no issues are found in a weeks or so, STABLE will be updated too. Then I'll release a 2.20 build into the TEST thread.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:05 pm

andredms Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:05 pm
Hello Paul,

I'm getting some artifacts from Revit, take a look at these rendered extrusions:

not_smooth_extrusion.jpg
not_smooth_extrusion.jpg (11.83 KiB) Viewed 9936 times
not_smooth_extrusion2.jpg
not_smooth_extrusion2.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 9936 times

They are just ellipses or circle based extrusions, either Revit components or masses. When I render using raytrace view mode or using the Mental Ray, those faceted extrusions become perfectly smooth. Is this an error from Revit or the API, or something else with the plugin?

Thank you.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit