OctaneRender for Revit Beta 1.55 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 1.55 [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 1.53.1 [STABLE]

Postby andredms » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:27 am

andredms Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:27 am
Hi Paul,

Have you tried the suggested rotations in the manual? http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=449

Yes, and every other angle combination. Using the manual instructions, the Xfrog tree comes with the roots in the air.. for example, EU06a.obj - also, this same tree comes as ~600m high instead of 20m high.

What is 360 pls?

Autodesk 360 cloud rendering

What are "customized" materials pls?

Any materials that the Octane plugin do not convert, i.e. materials customized inside Revit, that do not belong to standard Autodesk libraries.
Can you give me an example where the scale is wrong? Could you send me a sample scene pls?

This was my fault - I forgot to change the plugin default projection from UV to Box. This is not obvious for a common Revit user without cg knowledge. On some objects/elements, the materials are converted correctly, without need to modify parameters like the projection type.

As per all the release notes at http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=37775 Octane inverted the scale of textures, so you need to "Reconver from Revit" if you load an Octane 1.20 scene into Octane 1.21 onwards.

I'm doing brand new scenes from inside Revit with the newer plugin and standalone.

If you would like the plugin to support these lights, pls send me a sample using using these lights.

One of those lights can be the Luceplan Carrara:
http://www.luceplan.com/Dynamic/Prodott ... ItemID=151
( http://media.luceplanworld.com/Document ... B529E1.rfa )

I'm doing some real progress with the Revit plugin, but still can't correctly import the obj proxies - how to do that?
Thank you.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:15 am

face_off Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:15 am
Regarding the proxies you cannot get right - could you pls send an OBJ of one of these proxies to me at paul at physicalc-software dot com and I will take a closer look. And yes, you often need to scale them down considerably. The OBJ file format does not specify the scale of the object, so setting the correct scale is a necessary step.

The 360 renderer can pickup the texturemap scales, because it has the luxury of being able to access the Autodesk materials library. However this library is not available to external plugins like OctaneRender for Revit - so there is no way for the Octane plugin to access the texturemap scale for a material. Hopefully Autodesk will correct this substantial shortcoming in the Revit API, but in the meantime, the only way the plugin knows a material scale is from a lookup table I have compiled into the product. So therefore, the plugin will not be able to access any new Revit material (which won't be an that lookup table) - so it assumes a scale of 1. This is covered in the manual at http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=35.

I will take a look at the web lights.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:57 am

face_off Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:57 am
andredms, I looked into the rfa light file you linked. It is converting to an emitter as per the Revit Material for that object (which in this case is "Carrara vetro luminoso"). The IES light specified in the object info (D15d-K_white.ies in this case) does not convert - since the Octane material is from the Revit material, rather than the Revit object (the rfa), and the Revit material does not contain the IES file. So in this case you will need to set the "Distribution" pin to the IES file as per the manual http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=79. Once you have done this, "Save as Default" that material and it will be used next time you load that light object into a scene.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:14 pm

andredms Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:14 pm
face_off wrote:Regarding the proxies you cannot get right - could you pls send an OBJ of one of these proxies to me at paul at physicalc-software dot com and I will take a closer look. And yes, you often need to scale them down considerably. The OBJ file format does not specify the scale of the object, so setting the correct scale is a necessary step.

I get it right every time inside 3DS Max - both size and position (of the imported obj). I will send an obj file by email, but you can try with any Xfrog obj.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andredms » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:52 pm

andredms Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:52 pm
face_off wrote:Regarding the proxies you cannot get right - could you pls send an OBJ of one of these proxies to me at paul at physicalc-software dot com and I will take a closer look. And yes, you often need to scale them down considerably. The OBJ file format does not specify the scale of the object, so setting the correct scale is a necessary step.

Hi Paul,

Please add a "units" to the proxy details screen, so we be able to configure an absolute scale, as it is now, or a conventional scale unit (meters, cm, inches, feet, etc).

Thank you.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:01 am

face_off Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:01 am
Another question about those obj proxies is the transparency of some textures (leaves of the Xfrog tree, for example) - how to enable/configure it?
Answered via email - but for anyone else wanting the solution, pls see the Revit plugin on-line manual - the proxy page.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:08 am

face_off Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:08 am
Please add a "units" to the proxy details screen, so we be able to configure an absolute scale, as it is now, or a conventional scale unit (meters, cm, inches, feet, etc).
I have looked into this - and it is possible to specify the units that Octane loads OBJ in - however it will take so adjustments to the plugin to do this. I will add it to the enhancement list for the next release.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 1.55 [STABLE]

Postby face_off » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:28 am

face_off Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:28 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled against Octane 1.55
- For materials, the Octane material node is now named to the Revit material name (relevant for cuda error checking and exporting scenes to Octane Standalone)

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:58 am

Seekerfinder Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:58 am
face_off wrote:I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled against Octane 1.55
- For materials, the Octane material node is now named to the Revit material name (relevant for cuda error checking and exporting scenes to Octane Standalone)

Paul

Thanks Paul.

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:27 pm

face_off Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:27 pm
This is now implemented in the latest 2.0.10.5 release.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit