Emissive Object with Opacity Falloff?

Forums: Emissive Object with Opacity Falloff?
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Emissive Object with Opacity Falloff?

Postby JoshSwabs » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:50 pm

JoshSwabs Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:50 pm
Hi All! Total Octane and Cinema 4D newbie here, deciding to use this coronavirus self-isolation as a chance to learn something new!

At this point I'm just messing around, experimenting, following tutorials, reading the documentation etc., but there's one thing I'm trying to do which has me stumped. I imagine it's just because I've tried to dive straight in without getting a full understanding of things, so I bet I'm missing something obvious, but hopefully you guys can help me with this.

I'm trying to create an Emissive object, a plane in particular, which has a gradient opacity falloff. Essentially I want a bar of bright light which fades away, the blue light in this piece by Sarpar Baran is a good example: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9cElwOHKz3/

I thought this wouldn't be too hard, so I got into the node editor and made a Blackbody Emissive material with a gradient Falloffmap linked to the Opacity. In the Material Editor it looks exactly what I was aiming for! But as you can see in the screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/Qm3QeyS , when I apply this material to a plane object, the object's opacity isn't affected by the material. What am I missing to be able to apply the opacity falloff of my material to the object it's applied to? I've been searching around for how to do this but haven't found anything yet, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Josh
JoshSwabs

Re: Emissive Object with Opacity Falloff?

Postby frankmci » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:12 pm

frankmci Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:12 pm
Try driving the opacity with the same or a similar gradient to the one driving the emissivity.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 11.06.33 AM.png
Transparent Emissivity
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Works In Progress