Interior render realism

Forums: Interior render realism
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Interior render realism

Postby rvtec35 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:39 pm

rvtec35 Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:39 pm
I'm having problems taking my renders to the next level. I think it may be my lighting or it may just be that i'm doing everything wrong.
Any help would be greatly recieved.
Thanks
David

https://imgur.com/a/uNlNAsj
rvtec35

Re: Interior render realism

Postby frankmci » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:46 pm

frankmci Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:46 pm
Nice work!

On first glance, it looks like you're way over-illuminating your interior. Even on bright, sunny day with the light streaming in the sliding glass doors, there would not be that much light in an interior space if the visible exterior was even close to properly exposed. With the interior that exposed using normal lights, pretty much everything outside would be completely blown out. I suspect you probably intuitively know this from experience and can tell it looks funny, but can't put your finger on it.

To my eye, your interior lights are using several thousand watts of traditional incandescent power. These are the kinds of lights you use on a film set, not in a home interior. Interior fixtures usually use 1/10 that much go juice.

I suggest you first set up your baseline interior lighting with no Sun or any other exterior illumination at all. Next, turn off all your interior lights and set up your Sun. Then you can turn on both and adjust your camera exposure to capture a more realistic overall image exposure. Most of the time in real life, our eyes and our cameras just can't see such extreme differences in illumination at once.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby simowlabrim » Sun May 12, 2019 11:10 pm

simowlabrim Sun May 12, 2019 11:10 pm
Nice job! cool textures and the materials are good enough the achieve a good result. modestly, the only issue that I can see is the light. there are too many bright lights coming from ''I don't know''.
I guess you should focus on the type of the light you would achieve, it is Day or night. Morning of midday? you should give importance to the principal light... if it is the sun,
and it is morning, so the greater light should come from there (doors and windows. then you start adding some indoor light to balance the scene and clear the dark areas. please see some references and copy them.
simowlabrim
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Studio2a3d » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:45 pm

Studio2a3d Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:45 pm
It's a good start. Too much ambient / even light. Textures could use some work. Watch the texture scale / tile repeats. More reflections. The wide-angle camera doesn't help. Good Luck!
Studio2a3d

Postby WoutTgh » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:38 pm

WoutTgh Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:38 pm
Hi, my guess is too many GI bounces. I had a similar learning experience, thinking more bounces = more realism. But the render was just lacking contrast and soft shadows. Dialing back the number of bounces fixed it, start with 3 see how it looks, maybe go to 4/5? Don't think you will need more than that.

Good luck :)
WoutTgh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Works In Progress