Bottle, liquid, packaging...one step at a time !

Forums: Bottle, liquid, packaging...one step at a time !
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Bottle, liquid, packaging...one step at a time !

Postby Burgess AK » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:43 am

Burgess AK Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:43 am
hi,

I'm chiming in a bit late but would like to contribute and confer regarding this issue. I'm no expert but keen to find better/correct techniques for this. Total newb in Octane.

I used to have this issue in C4d natively but found checking and reversing the normals if required - as moose mentions - solves this even when spline modelling. I'm guessing reversing the normals would be the answer regardless of you modelling technique?? Spline modelling is how I model bottles as I am from a retouching background, so I like to use Illustrator or the pen tool in C4d.

Builtdown mentions the air gap. I went through this with C4d and the physical renderer and the common theme I got here was that that the liquid spline needed to intersect the glass spline (effectively a little bigger) See pic attached. Now I'm not saying this is right or wrong and maybe this technique is the way to go with Lightwave and maybe even Octane.
Also mentioned is IOR, surely the correct IOR should used for different types of glass as well as liquids and we shouldn't have to 'fool' Octane with incorrect IOR's.

I watched a tutorial from these guys, it's worth a watch and they even have some studio set ups - one with a wine glass and wine - available for download/analysis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCfphJAscSA&t=313s
This has helped but I am still not getting the results that I was getting in C4d's native physical render and TBH I use Octane most of the time bar when I am doing bottles - I go back to the physical render.

One further issue that I have is camera angles. Nearly all of the bottle renders I do are for commercial use and as such have a 'hero' composition ie. camera straight in front with a long'ish lens to reduce lens distortion and give a more isometric look. This gives a reflection of the floor in the bottom of the bottle, it's quite unsightly. If I use the physical render I can put a compositing tag on the floor and just un check 'seen by reflection' and the job's a good 'un. As, yet I haven't found a way to do this in Octane.

Having not been with Octane for long I haven't had too much time to try an address these issues and appreciate the dialogue...
Attachments
IMG_5879.jpg
C4D R20
1 x GEFORCE RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my hand
Burgess AK
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Bottle, liquid, packaging...one step at a time !

Postby itsallgoode9 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:09 pm

itsallgoode9 Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:09 pm
regarding your comment on the reflections seen on the base of a bottle.... in a real photoshoot, much of the time the bottle is shot on some sort of clear stand then the ground reflection is shot separately, then the two are combined in post. This gives you the clean look you're after.

Here's an example of that from one of our photoshoots.
Attachments
RawBottleRef.jpg
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Works In Progress