How can I improve this image/scene?

Forums: How can I improve this image/scene?
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

How can I improve this image/scene?

Postby oliverroberts » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:50 am

oliverroberts Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:50 am
Hi,

Any feedback/criticism is welcome.
Pretty new to 3D and always looking to improve.

Any ideas how can I improve this image?

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 07.42.44.png

Rendered with Cinema 4D/Octane.

Thanks guys!

Oliver
oliverroberts
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How can I improve this image/scene?

Postby Marvez » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Marvez Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 pm
:shock: uummm , I cant find a criticism. pretty good image as is
I7 5820K 16MB RAM SSD850PRO GTX 970/780
Marvez
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oliverroberts » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:51 pm

oliverroberts Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:51 pm
Thanks Marvez kind of you to say!

I'm just starting out with all this, never sure how wide of the mark I am. One day I am pleased with what I have done, the next I think it just looks embarrassing.
oliverroberts
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DigiChuckle » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:20 am

DigiChuckle Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:20 am
oliverroberts wrote:One day I am pleased with what I have done, the next I think it just looks embarrassing.

Happens to me a lot. I think it happens to everybody.

Your render looks very very good.

Is there a story in there? I read it as a very gritty and depressing piece. 14F is open and the lights are on, which indicates human activity but the only resemblance of people are the mannequins and the frog eye view puts the viewer even lower than the still life in there, which gives a sense of despair.

I'll nitpick a little: there is a curved something that spans from the gas lamp to the outside of the frame to the left. Just below the steel pipe rack there is a sort of horizontal reflection going on that looks like it's part of the rack itself. Your point of interest if pretty much to the extreme left. Have you tried a very wide view with an even more extreme left (or right) point of interest? They use it all the time in Better Call Saul (the TV show) as a clue that something ain't right.

How did you do the texturing?
Win10 Pro | Z620 | 2x 8 core Xeon 2.2 Ghz | 64 GB ram | Quadro K4000 + GTX 1060
DigiChuckle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oliverroberts » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:43 pm

oliverroberts Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:43 pm
Thanks for the feedback really appreciate it. Yes, I will revisit the point of interest, thanks.

Good to hear other people go through the same, coming back to their work and thinking "what is this?".

Ha ha, yes, kind of a depressing scene. I am fascinated by these empty, lonely places. I think I will work some more on the lighting, ideally it would be evening, after it had rained.

I'm just exploring different ideas etc, really new to 3D, but really want to improve.

For the textures, the metals are all just in Octane using this method: https://vimeo.com/114419480
The ground was just an image texture with a displacement.
The puddles just a super plane with a basic specular material.
oliverroberts
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Works In Progress